Quantcast

Anyone here usrs a telemetry system to tune suspension?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Well.
Sorry for the folloing pedantics.
Telemetry transmits data.
Data acquisition records it.

I havent used it for suspensuon but for engine tuning.

And as a suspension nerd I have some things id look for or use to make it easier to properly interpret data.
#1 is a button for flagging either to ignore an event or check it out. If you come up massively short on a jump would you want this to influence your tuning? or if something is strange you can do a what the hell was that push
#2 it would be beneficial to use an aim system with a smarty cam so you can correlate obstacles with data
#3 it would be great to have accelerometers on front and rear of bike chassis to have data on bike motion to compare
#4 if you could use accelerometers on sprung and unsprung masses in addition to the potentiometers yiu could gather some intetesting data.
#5 isnt really feasible laser scanning the ground to precicely measure obstacles to correlate them with the data

If this is for turning knobs its usefulnese may be limited. If you are working on valving it may be useful

Milleratio

Chimp
Oct 24, 2021
I have the MIND-system in my Summun. After 2 seasons I would say it takes a couple of more years for Mondraker to develop the software in a way that user gets something out of it. The first generation hardware was (I guess) had some issues as my system was delivered 1 year afterwards. The second gen system still has some issues regarding battery consumption when not riding the bike: you have to keep it in charger. The front mudguard/mind system doesn't fit to some of the lifts where you put the bike hanging from front wheel.

There would be a lot of potential to combine and analyze all the data from all of the bikes in cloud and make suggestions for riders. Currently the only valid information I get is how many millimeters did I use the suspension travel. It would be also interesting to see suspension accelerations as I've understood that would give some guidance on how good or bad suspension is working. You could and can record your runs with the Mind and it seems to be little more precise on GPS-tracking compared to Strava and phone. The usability is still better with Strava even though it's also one of the "shit but I still use it" software.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I looked a little bit at data acquisition. Systems seems quite good now and for a somewhat affordable price. What is lacking is data analysis. Every system can give you millions of different curves but it won't tell you what to do or how to interprete these curves... it is certainly possible to learn how to interprete the curves but for me, at a hobby level, I prefer to just go out and ride

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I looked a little bit at data acquisition. Systems seems quite good now and for a somewhat affordable price. What is lacking is data analysis. Every system can give you millions of different curves but it won't tell you what to do or how to interprete these curves... it is certainly possible to learn how to interprete the curves but for me, at a hobby level, I prefer to just go out and ride
BYB does. And IMHO in a relatively sensible way.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

Nick at Downamics posts a lot about the analysis of data. He is really next level

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
The Downamics guy is also writing his own programs for the data analysis.

I've been looking into it a bit in the last year or so, with the two options being BYB and Motion Pro.

BYB
-Good analysis software, a phone app and laptop program. All software included and no monthly fees. They seem to be very helpful in setting up the system and analyzing the data. Constantly updating the software. One of the owners is pretty active on a Vital DAQ thread.
Screenshot 2024-02-25 075708.png

-More options that just shock data, wheel speed and brake sensors also.
-Main data unit is bulky.
-Includes some shock/fork mounting hardware and they will even 3d print custom hardware for you.
-$1900 USD for the Motion Pro equivalent, $1950 USD for the full kit with brake/wheel sensors

Motion Pro
-Software is all app based on the phone, previously only Apple but recently the Android version was finished. Basic version is free, if you want more features and access to the raw data to export it into a computer program it's $10/month or $100/year and the most advanced version is $30/month or $300/year.
-Only shock sensors.
-The user guide is pretty helpful in understanding how to use it and what you get with the different app versions.
-All data goes to the phone/cloud, so no main collection unit. Also no fork or shock mounting hardware included, that is extra.
-$1300 for the DH kit, another $120 for mounting hardware.

I'm leaning towards BYB as the software just seems easy to understand and use, and there is no subscription fee.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've used the Motion Instruments system a bit. I found it very helpful once I learned how to interpret the data (it doesn't make suggestions for changes). These fork+shock systems are really good for getting front/rear balanced. Other criticism with MI besides not making suggestions is that many bikes aren't in the library and the manufacturer won't share the LR curve, so you've got to measure it yourself. It's not super hard, but it's time consuming and you have to do it for each flip chip setting on the rear.

I ran MI on both my ebike and enduro bike, and what I found was that after I took the system off, if I made changes on 1 bike, it was easier to make the second bike feel similarly balanced since it helped train my brain to identify which parameters were responsible for which bike feedback sensations.