Quantcast

Anyone Ridden Vail Yet?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm going to be there this weekend and am looking for a status. Like how screwed up the town is with construction and all this "new dawn" baloney. Is Old 9 really closed? Conditions of Magic Forest and '94 Course....etc....Any info would be appreciated.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I heard old 9 is open and is in great shape. I was also told magic forest and the '94 world course were both in good shape too. I am going there tomorrow and i will write back with a trail report.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Vail rules right now! I was up there yesterday and it is awesome. Still a little moist and tacky from the melt off but everything that was open last year is still up and going again this year including Old 9. On top of that the trail crew was already up there working on new stuff in Magic forest. They can't build any new trails this year due to all of the construction that they have already been tearing up the mountain with. But as soon as that is all done, they should be able to start new trails sometime next summer. Definitely support Vail and their willingness to build trails for us!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hey, is Magic Forest on the right side of the Gondi as you get off (biker's left)? There's a tiny little climb, like a football field length long right on the side of the Gondi before you drop in to the upper portion? There's a bunch of airs in there built up w/ logs and almost no transition, a big table rock about 5' high you can ride up on and drop off the other side? It was like 3 or 4 years ago when I last rode there. They had a World Cup race that year (2001?). They didn't open that course up did they? I remember a 12' vertical roller to a pretty poor trannie into the trees that would have been faster if you'd gone around....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hey Pau11y, yeah let's ride! How does 10.30am on Friday at the Vista Bahn sound?

As for the trail you're talking about above, that sounds more like a pirate trail than Magic Forest (let's have a moment of silence for the pirate trails....ah...they were wonderful weren't they?). Magic Forest starts almost right in front of the gondi building, and there's no climbing to get there. And no, they never opened up the World Cup course. Although that would be one sweet trail!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Cool. I'll be sporting a black carbon helmet and a ball-burnished Turner DHR w/ shiver. You probably CAN miss me, so I'll be sure to look for the giant white helmet.

Any other takers?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SylentK said:
Cool. I'll be sporting a black carbon helmet and a ball-burnished Turner DHR w/ shiver. You probably CAN miss me, so I'll be sure to look for the giant white helmet.

Any other takers?
Ahhh you suck! That was my first choice for a new frame. I settled on the 204 cause I couldn't find a 2004 for under $1k. Now there's a 2004 w/ the Push experimental shock for $9 friggin' 50!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Pau11y said:
Ahhh you suck! That was my first choice for a new frame. I settled on the 204 cause I couldn't find a 2004 for under $1k. Now there's a 2004 w/ the Push experimental shock for $9 friggin' 50!
Are you talking about the one in the Buy/Sell forum? If so, yeah that looks like one sweet deal!

Mine's only a 2002 frame and fork. A little old, but it still RAILS like a muthah! Now if I can just let go of the brakes....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That is great news! Can't Friday get here any quicker!?

Ugh....back to the TPS reports...before Lundburg catches me slackin'.

Thanks for posting by the way!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Wow Vail was a hoot. Old9 reminds me of Fish Creek. Compared to 3 years ago, I really like what they've done w/ the place! Met up w/ SylentK and he played tour guide. Going back on Mon to do a bit of solo hucking w/ some tunes on the mp3 player. Good times!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Two words: Vail Rules!

Good riding with you Pau11y! We must get back to Olde 9 and go big...Minnar big!! Rode on Sunday, too. Mmmmm....sweet burmed singletrack sprinkled with jumps and drops through the aspens....