Quantcast

Anyone ride Attitash?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Going up to SW Maine for Vacation and planning on riding Attitash..

Cant find any recent reviews/ videos of the trails..

Anyone already know some good trails?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Been years so I'm of no help, tight and techy is my recollection.
There are some great trail/shuttles in the area though.
Bring your trail bike.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Does Sunday River still have anything?

Also, what about Carrabassett if you're in to some non-lift-assisted riding?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Serious tech but some great trails. Esc's 2012 race course was one of my favorites ever. Right side of the mountain is classic New England death trail straight down the face, some stuff similar to bromont. Left side is more open and fast. Closest would be that one black diamond at thunder on the left, and too easy on the right. Some great trails to be found, but no flow trails and less quality trail building than thunder.

Worth a trip once in a while for sure. Let me know if you want the trail map for the race course

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Serious tech but some great trails. Esc's 2012 race course was one of my favorites ever. Right side of the mountain is classic New England death trail straight down the face, some stuff similar to bromont. Left side is more open and fast. Closest would be that one black diamond at thunder on the left, and too easy on the right. Some great trails to be found, but no flow trails and less quality trail building than thunder.

Worth a trip once in a while for sure. Let me know if you want the trail map for the race course
yeah dude if you dont mind, shoot me over the 2012 race course :cheers:

i remember going there 3 years on same vacation and i tried out the right side of the mountain but dont really remember what the trails were like.
fast and open sounds killer as well

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sure I'll have to ms paint it but I'll try and get it by the end of the weekend. The middle and lower section were awesome fast woods stuff.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

19-8-9-12 is the 2012 ESC course. It starts with a bit of a tame n lame fireroad, but it ducks into the woods over some slippery rocks, switches back and forth to pop you out onto more fireroad which quickly ducks into the woods again for some fast sections before out and back in. I believe you may hit a part of 15 on your way down, which is really fun. I may have the numbers wrong, it may in fact be 23, as the trails are poorly labeled and it's easy to get lost. Here's a vid:

The "right" side of the mountain (ie starting with trail 25)

Much more brutal. If you find yourself on 07, then you had better hope that you have good brakes and it's not wet. it's a face shot with very steep sections and a few switchbacks which do nothing to slow you down.

Here's another of the start of the ESC course I'm talking about: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/276087/

Now keep in mind that was 2012ish, things may have changed quite a bit since I was last there in like 2013/4.

Pros:
Natural east coast DH terrain.
Wide variety
Lift is pretty fast
Parking is plentiful and close to the lift

Cons:
No flow trails, if you care
You'll be competing/riding with alpine sliders, which may slow things down
Less trail maintenance than other parks.
Weak trail map/signage combo means you may get lost or struggle to find where you're going.

At the end, do yourself a favor and head out to the river for a quick swim before you leave for the day. If you're parked in the sandy lot across from the park, head over the bridge and way back past the pond into the woods and toward the river. It's super easy to find and it's a cold, clean river, so it's nice to grab a can and soak for a few while the essence of new hampshire runs over you. Not nearly as gross as it sounds.

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
Rode it two weeks ago. All the trails in the woods that are cut between the main ski runs are super tight and steep. Very rocky, rooty and technical. Nothing groomed or manicured here. I like it and the few times I have ridden here there are very few riders there. The place gets packed in the am until 1pm or so with all the alpine slide people but the cool thing is that while they are waiting in line bikers have there own line. As soon as a biker gets in line they go ahead of the alpine slide people.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Attitash is a blast. Loads of tech and flowy (not 'flow') trails. Definitely worth a visit.

Now I think Im going to do an out and back 3+ day - Attitash, Highland, Thunder.

Inspired.