Quantcast

Anyone successfully fixed a slashed tire???

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Got a brand new Specialized version of the IRC Uff Da(anyone run these before? I love it!) and just TOTALLY miscalc'd a gap into the sharp edge of a marble step. I actually had to buff the rim down to not slash another tube/tire. But the cut is too big to hold the tube in now, wanna keep the tire. If not, no biggie, but hate throwing away new rubber.

Vinny A

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Philly
A trick I did was just line the inside of the gash with a few layers of duct tape. Or if its smaller and you dont have any duct tape a snickers wrapper or something works pretty well.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Layer: 1) piece of tube 2) piece or two of plastic from a yogurt container wrapped in duct tape. Glue it all in with shoe-goo like glue. Put in a bit of newspaper so you don't glue the tube to the tire. Cut the pieces in rectangles and then round the edges. Holds up for a long time.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Depending on the size of the slash and location here are a few ideas

method #1 ( it's only good for big cuts in the tire , may also be combined with methed 3)
Stich the tire back together with dental floss, apply a inner layer of tube cement , outer layer of shoe goo , only if the gash is huge , then coat the inside with duct tape

Method #2 ( good for side slices were the tube is bulding out the side ) if it's a side way slice is to use a piece water bottle cut into a 4 x 4in square , remember to round out the endges so it doesnt puncture the tube , the plastic is super soft and if you cut a big enough piece it will rap around the tube preventing it fron bulging out the side wall slice

Method #3 ( good for tire repair )
Rubber cement or a patch kit , you can glue the slice back together
and build up a little rideing patch if needed with rubber cement or SHOE GOO

Buy a new tire if none of these work

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Nah, just duct-tape the inside.
I've got several rolls of the industrial, true cloth type duct tape and it worked until the first hard stall, then it bubbled out like a 14 year old twit's 3 chunks of Grape Bubbalicious. It's a gash about an inch long diagonally across the tread face. That's good I think as it's a less flexy place to gash it. I'm gonna fill it with glue, then glue some more duct tape to the inside, then I'm gonna ride it while I wait for a new tire to show anyway. Why worry, right? And if it holds, then I'll throw the heavy bastid on the front and ditch the too-fat anyway Holy Roller...
I wonder if a tire patch would even hold... might throw one of them down before the duct tape..

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I've got several rolls of the industrial, true cloth type duct tape and it worked until the first hard stall, then it bubbled out like a 14 year old twit's 3 chunks of Grape Bubbalicious. It's a gash about an inch long diagonally across the tread face. That's good I think as it's a less flexy place to gash it. I'm gonna fill it with glue, then glue some more duct tape to the inside, then I'm gonna ride it while I wait for a new tire to show anyway. Why worry, right? And if it holds, then I'll throw the heavy bastid on the front and ditch the too-fat anyway Holy Roller...
I wonder if a tire patch would even hold... might throw one of them down before the duct tape..
I might suggest the cut piece of a water bottle and that cloth tape you speak of , then some shoe goos on the outside of the gash

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Glue, patch, glue, duck(quack!) tape, air, ride. Works like a charm! For now anyways. Hell, I even got as cocky as to patch the poor, innocent tube that was so visciously mutilated in the process. Those were some big patches, 3 half inch slits and one about 1.25"! The glue musta been affecting my brain...
Thanks for the input, fellers...!