Quantcast

Anyone upgrading their Ultegra 9 speeds?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't know if you're interested, but you can almost surely still get 9 speed 105 shifters from QBP or BTI (meaning your lbs). You might not want new parts, but 105 is a better value than Ultegra.

Ultegra 9 speed is a bit harder to find. I've looked. I have two that are pretty old ('98 or so) that I want to replace, but I haven't seen much. Mine are kind of ratty looking and haven't been able to shift from the large ring to the middle one since about 2002.

A lot of the ones on ebay look beat and have obvious crash damage or heavy use. With the cost and all the small parts, I wouldn't trust anything used for more than a few weeks if anything.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Any major shifting difference between 105 9 speed and Ultegra 9 speed?
No, but the Ultegra hoods appear to rattle a lot more. 9spd Ultegra is still available, but pricey. I think I even have a set in the case, but they are $275 - $300, if I recall. I have 105 on my CX bike and they are fine. I have Ultegra 10 on my Masi and they are fine. I had Dura-Ace on my previous bike, but don't think I would dish retail for them now. I'd get 105 and spend the extra savings on derailleurs.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have not seen any difference in durability between Ultegra and 105. Yes, there may be some small differences in shifting performance, but not much at all- almost certainly not enough to justify the price unless you demand it. As long as you get the newer 105 stuff, it's all good. (I don't mean '07, just the latest versions before that).

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
How do you guys feel about the 10 speed stuff? I see a lot of that in classifieds for people who removed it for one reason or another, and they seem to be cheaper than the 9 speed stuff (for some weird reason).

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Having fiddled with the Sram Rival today, I am inclined to offer up some Ultegra 10s and Dura-Ace rear derailleur. I liked the feel. I wouldn't have bought it on my bike, sight unseen, but I liked the feel.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Don't knock'em till you try em.

these Newbies who just don't understand the Mystique of Campy :disgust1: :disgust1:
The Mystique of Campy = the reputation they earned with their old products, and are destroying with their new products. (Campy straight bar shift/brake levers, open one up and marvel at the plastic ratchet that's about to strip out before you put 200 miles down.) :disgust1: Despite being very happy with my Shimano brake/shift levers, I do like the Campy action too.

In my opinion, 105 10-speed is really pretty nice, just about as nice as Ultegra10. The difference between 105-9speed and Ultegra9 was a bit larger than it is with 10-speed. Ultegra9 is still available, and will continue to be available for some years to come. I'm running Ultegra9 from 2003, and it's going strong.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I hate campy. The shifting isn't that much better and the issues adjusting it are just not worth it. We've got sram on one of our new bikes. Wow, just wow. I'm impressed. I'd take it over Campy any day.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Buy that Ultegra IH in Westy's thread... strip it, ebay what you don't need :) Probably be cheaper and you can keep the wheels as a back up set.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The 9-speed 105 is good stuff, definitely not as crisp feeling as Ultegra, but I'd go for new stuff over used any day.

Tried the Sram and my honest opinion: they wanted a road bike setup, but the two best designs for shifting were taken...so they made the one they did. Yes it works, yes the parts are nice, yes I think the shifting action sucks.

Campy or Shimano, I can't find a decent reason to buy Sram unless you are diehard about lightweight.

The Ito

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
10sp 105 shifters feels like crap, in my opinion. i pretty much can't stand double/ triple STIs.

Dura-Ace shifters, Ultegra RD, Specialized SWORKS rings....buttery smooth.

i like the action of SRAM's stuff, but wish the second click was a little more mechanical feeling, and wish the throw on the front lever was lessened. feels like i'm wrapping my hand all the way around the shifter just to get it to get into the big ring. not my cup of tea.

cleaned up a Cannondale System Six with Force and 404 tubulars...probably one of the sweetest race bikes i've worked on. sub-16lbs with pedals. unreal.

i've killed 3 sets of 9sp STIs in 2 weeks. 105s and Ultegra. the guy with the Ultegras kept the STIs on his bike, and installed barcons. all 3 bikes were absolutely disgusting.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
more importantly, Campy is rebuildable.

i do have a Campy Eurus wheel to send in, though. cracked badly after less than a year.