Quantcast

Anyone use Zanfel for PI?

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
There's a section of my favorite trail that's lined with PI on both sides of the trail. Of course everyone rides in the exact center of the trail through the PI and eventually the trail becomes about 6"wide in this section. With my precision riding style, I usually brush up against the PI around a bend in the trail.

When the symptoms first appeared I decided to try to use Zanfel this time. After getting over the $39.95 sticker shock, I used the product. The pharmacists at the drug store said the product doesn't work but I was desperate.

The product is intended to act as a wash removing the oil from the skin similar to Tecnu wash. However Tecnu requires you to use the wash within 1 hour after contact where Zanfel can be used anytime. When you use the Zanfel, you can fill that there's been an abrasive added to the medication, similar something like you'd find in GOJO handcleaner.

It's really difficult to judge how effective the product is since I can't compare the results of my PI with and without using the product. The product doesn't do much for relieving the symptoms and it probably never claimed to. The product seems to be intended to minimizing the effect of the ushrinol by removing the oil and minimize the spreading to other parts of the body. After all, it's called a wash. The one problem is that you don't know where the oil has been transferred to from the original contact site until symptoms appear. By then it too late, you're going to get a reaction there no matter what you do. There's not enough medication in the body to do a complete body wash. You need to treat the PI locally. I'm guessing you should use Zafel as soon as symptoms first appear. The Zanfel seems to minimize itching for a couple of hours but you only use the Zafel only once or twice.

My wife who is a RN, suggested a technique that's used in her hospital for dermatological allergic reactions. They use a product called Domeboro Astringent Solution that’s available as an over the counter product. Domeboro is mixed with water and placed on the effected site. My wife’s hospital refrigerates the solution prior to applying the Domeboro. The cooled solution really felt good when applied. The idea is to keep the Domeboros in contact with the PI. This is accomplished by soaking the solution in a wash cloth or gauze, placing it over the PI, then wrapping the area with an ace bandage. Domboros is really effective in removing the itch while the wrap minimizes spreading that drainage crap to your clothes. I hate it when that drainage stuff runs down your leg! The Domeboros in my opinion was a lifesaver. Maybe the pressure applied by the ace bandage help prevent the PI reaction from draining. I dunno, but I was able to sleep without sticking to my sheets.

Would I buy the Zanfel again? I don't know. I'd feel better about the product ifit didn't cost 39.95. The original location where I brushed the PI was a still real mess. The product has a 10 year shelf life so I guess I'll use it next year for my annual poison ivy. My results with the Zandel seemd to be OK, not bad or great, just OK. There's really no way on knowing how well the product worked.

I've had a lot of luck using Ivy Bloc prior to riding and using Tecno immediately after contact with PI.

Anyone else use Zandel? What's been your results?