Quantcast

Anyone watching De Ronde?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I watched and rode the trainer during the whole race.

Cancellara won with a breakaway time trial last year. Why would he do the same thing twice? Wouldn't you think other teams were expecting it? Wouldn't you think other teams were prepared for it? If that is his only trick for Flanders, he needs to learn another winning strategy.

In all, very exciting race. I REALLY enjoyed the last 20K.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I watched and rode the trainer during the whole race.

Cancellara won with a breakaway time trial last year. Why would he do the same thing twice? Wouldn't you think other teams were expecting it? Wouldn't you think other teams were prepared for it? If that is his only trick for Flanders, he needs to learn another winning strategy.

In all, very exciting race. I REALLY enjoyed the last 20K.
He jumped them from a lot further out this year. At Roubaix and Flanders last year he was going so fast by himself that the teams couldn't bring him back. I think if he would have waited and attached in a similar place to last year that he would have won. If it wasn't going to be Cancellara, I would have rather seen Chavanel take it, but that's racing.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
He jumped them from a lot further out this year. At Roubaix and Flanders last year he was going so fast by himself that the teams couldn't bring him back. I think if he would have waited and attached in a similar place to last year that he would have won. If it wasn't going to be Cancellara, I would have rather seen Chavanel take it, but that's racing.
Exactly. Chavanel played the race perfectly from a tactical standpoint (except for the last 200m).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So the key to Spartacus's success is...water?

Cancellara just wasn't himself at the end. If he was, we all know what would have happened. Heck, it almost happened anyway. He definitely showed a crack or two in the armor, but come on: He was marked all day, didn't get a lot of team help (can a brother get a bottle?), had cramps and was suffering mightily in spots, and he STILL got third.

He's still my fave for Roubaix.

EDIT: Just got around to watching the finale. I have no idea why Cancellara tried to go so early, but maybe he figured it was his only chance. Also, it looks like Chavenel got boxed out when he might have had the legs to come around. That's racing...

Last edited: