Quantcast

Apple iOS 4 - anyone upgrade?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So... who jumped on the zero-day upgrade?

Not I. Been burned by too many of Apple's major release problems. I always give it a few days at least to hash out the problems.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yup - I may go for it this afternoon but no hurry. The stupid AT&T rep here was supposed to pre-order me an iPhone 4 but he dropped the ball. Hopefully I can get one in a few days or something.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I bit the bullet and upgraded my 3G to iOS 4 yesterday. Everything's working fine for me. The only minor blip during the upgrade was having to reset the passcode required by the Exchange server at work.

With the 3G the iOS 4 upgrade didn't really add much so I can't comment on features like (faux) multitasking and I didn't grab the iBooks app. I do like that you can group app icons into folders though and I guess the unified inbox for multiple mail accounts is handy. I haven't tried the digital zoom on the camera yet but I can only imagine it will make already mediocre pictures look even worse.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I upgraded my 3G last night to iOS 4.0. Other than having to sync twice (first sync failed mysteriously) things seem to be working ok. As Damien said, nothing that much is different for 3G users.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Upgraded with giddiness and came away with nothing to write home about. The digital zoom makes the pics worse and the upgrade list listed wallpaper for your home screen but my eyes see nothing!
No wallpaper for the 3G. Only for 3GS and 4th gen. Steve Jobs cited performance concerns.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I upgraded my 3GS to 4.0. I was most excited about folders. I went from 8 pages to one and a half pages. Love the integrated email. The wall paper is cool and all, but you have to fade the picture back or make it B&W or the icons disappear into the picture.

I like the multitasking, I never used Pandora much because I knew if I needed to do something else on my phone I would have to exit out of it and start it back up. now I can leave it going. things like going from Dropbox to Ping and back is much easier.

Down side to multitasking, you dont choose what apps you want to be in the multitask group. Every app you open goes into the MT bar, I had 10 apps at once when I didnt need more than 2. I hope in the future there will be some way to purposely choose what apps you want to MT at a time. Its annoying to keep going in and shutting down all the apps you arent using.

I ran into another problem this morning. I downloaded some new songs on my phone. I went to listen to them and the iPod app keeps crashing. From what I have read its a common issue. A re-sync should solve it I hope.

All in all its a great update. Hoping there will be a few more features added in 4.1 in the fall when it comes for the iPad.

Dec 5, 2009
ks.
i'm waiting on the jailbreak for the ios4. i haven't checked today. my old 3g has had folders for a loooong time. thought i'd like them, but i didn't. now the wait is on for my ip4 to arrive.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I really want to get a bluetooth keyboard for my iphone. Anyone have one they like? Is there such thing as a regular keyboard for a desktop that could also do bluetooth? It would be cool to use the same keyboard for regular PC work and then switch over to typing on my iphone.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I really want to get a bluetooth keyboard for my iphone. Anyone have one they like? Is there such thing as a regular keyboard for a desktop that could also do bluetooth? It would be cool to use the same keyboard for regular PC work and then switch over to typing on my iphone.
I know the Apple Bluetooth keyboard works. You just have to see which Bluetooth profiles the iPhone supports and match that up with the profiles that the keyboard conforms to.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
updated the touch....

listening to blu&exile and have charlie huston's "six bad things" open in ibooks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
By the way, I took a shot and was an early adopter of iOS 4.

Ended up biting me in the ass :rolleyes:. Immediately after upgrading, I could get no cellular data whatsoever. Multiple restores did not help. Apple's recommendation? Restore as a new phone so you don't have any of your stuff on it.

Sweet, thanks. That's helpful. If Apple provided access to the file system, I could back up stuff individually but nope...

No acknowledgement that it might be a software problem since I pointed her at dozens and dozens of the exact same complaints online.

Now I'm running a third party APN that has temporarily restored cell data but has disabled MMS completely.

It just works, though :rolleyes:. Nice work, ATT/Apple.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
here you go jonkranked....

i'll probably have a iphone in 2012

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well, it's legal, but they don't have to make any allowances for it. It's still going to be a process of finding exploits.
Wonder if this will allow third party companies to exploit software like Palm was doing a few times in iTunes for device support. End-users with iTunes acounts should be able to load the iTunes content they bought on any device just like you can make legal copies of purchased content for personal use.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
My 3G upgraded automatically to iOS4 when I connected to iTunes a month ago. It has run shiite ever since.

Yesterday I receive a text message from my service provider saying "Don't upgrade to iOS4 if you have a 3G, it will make it run slower and will be irreversible".

Thanks retards. a month too late.

Basically the 3G does not have the processing power to run the new operating system.

I'm going to be heading down to the phone shop to try to wangle an iPhone 4 off them...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My 3G upgraded automatically to iOS4 when I connected to iTunes a month ago. It has run shiite ever since.
my 3G is slow as well with IOS4, but Itunes gave me the option of upgrading or not to the new OS...just like it does now with 4.0.1 (or whatever the new one is)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Yesterday I receive a text message from my service provider saying "Don't upgrade to iOS4 if you have a 3G, it will make it run slower and will be irreversible".

Thanks retards. a month too late.

Basically the 3G does not have the processing power to run the new operating system.

I'm going to be heading down to the phone shop to try to wangle an iPhone 4 off them...
It shouldn't be irreversible. Just restore with a 3.1.3 image.

FWIW I'm still running iOS 4.0.1 on my 3G. It is slow at times but I do like the nested application folders and me.com beta calendar support.

I'm still on the fence whether to go for an iPhone 4 or a Droid X this winter after selling my wife's original iPhone and my 3G, and will have to read some more reviews, I suppose. I've bought into the Google cloud bigtime, with all my docs on Google Docs, 100% gmail save for work email, etc…

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hopefully IOS 4.2 makes my 3G less laggy. upgrading to IOS4 was a huge PITA.
The recent iOS updates have mostly been welcome improvements for iPhone 4 and 3GS users, but it's been a decidedly different story for folks sticking to their venerable iPhone 3G. Not only have they been left out of some of the fun, but they were dealt a serious performance hit with iOS 4.0 that was only somewhat corrected by IOS 4.1. Could iOS 4.2 finally bring things back up to speed? According to the folks at TiPb, it just might -- they've now tested the iOS 4.2 gold master on an iPhone 3G and found that performance was noticeably improved across the board
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/ios-4-2-bringing-speed-improvements-to-iphone-3g/

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I found the solution as well in a new iPhone 4.

I will say that there is definitely an antenna issue there (dropping bars when you bridge the strips), but it is so minor that it isn't an issue.

As for the iPhone 4? Well, I came from a 3G, so the leap was impressive. It really is a damn good phone. I'm well happy with it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I found the solution as well in a new iPhone 4.

I will say that there is definitely an antenna issue there (dropping bars when you bridge the strips), but it is so minor that it isn't an issue.

As for the iPhone 4? Well, I came from a 3G, so the leap was impressive. It really is a damn good phone. I'm well happy with it.
yeah, i dont think the antenna "issue" will be a big problem, especially with the free bumper case.

im looking forward to the faster processor and the phone being able to support IOS4 without taking forever to do things. i also am really looking forward to Pandora not crashing non-stop...hopefully the Iphone4 will allow me to keep Pandora running in the background while i answer emails or texts