Quantcast

Apple's Patent War Against HTC

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so for you other cell geeks out there, unless you've been unplugged, you've heard about this. Apple is trying to indirectly force patent enforcement against Google via HTC.

I've done some reading about the patents in claim, and I find myself wondering how they were even granted patents for some of this stuff in the first place.

Two stand out to me: the auto arranging of icons, and scrolling. They are going after HTC (and Google) for this, but not RIM (my storm, first gen, autoarranges icons and scrolls them the same way Apple's patent claims). Do they think RIM is too big of a fish? Or are they just trying the waters with HTC, as they are a newer company to the market (yet have still been making phones longer than Apple).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Don't forget Palm v. Apple and Nokia v. Apple cases.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Like apple doesn't make enough money with the I phone.
Enough isn't in the American Corporate Dictionary. If you can't compete with your product compete with your lawyers. Better yet, both.
RIM (BB) and Nokia (Symbian) sell way more smartphone units than Apple does. Guess Apple only considers Android and Nokia a real threat?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
RIM (BB) and Nokia (Symbian) sell way more smartphone units than Apple does. Guess Apple only considers Android and Nokia a real threat?
From a little I have witnessed with Apples manufacturing processes they make some very strange and questionable decisions. They could very well have higher costs and lower margins and need to fight things out in court.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From a little I have witnessed with Apples manufacturing processes they make some very strange and questionable decisions. They could very well have higher costs and lower margins and need to fight things out in court.
Nokia is impressive with the openness in their manufacturing and they make their smartphones (even the sub $200 non-subsidized models like the e63 3G) in the EU instead of notorious contractors in Asia known for abusing their workers (an on-going Apple issue). Its easy to buy Nokia phones unlocked and they now they are even opening up their software more.

Nokia truly thinks different, unlike Apple. A factory in Finland:

Last edited:

vroterman

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Nookia was leader in their industry, but now i think apple and google will become stronger and stronger.