Quantcast

are iPhones *really* worth it, or is there a droid/google alternative that's better?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you fagets probably carry spare tubes even though you've made all necessary preparations for an uneventful ride.

i see where you're going w/ this...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
unless you're on a 5 day hut trip (in which case, you do that to UNPLUG from the world, not stay tethered to it like a teenager), there's no excuse to run out of juice.

make sure you're charged up before each event
<shrug>

I've heard that people use their smartphones for *more* than just phone/web surfing. Seems to me that people might take theirs on a 5-day hut trip for more than phone/web surfing. I've even heard that *some* smartphones double as a still/video camera. Hard to imagine... but I've heard it's true.

But hey - go ahead and continue to beat that non-replaceable battery drum. It's no skin off my nose.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So enlighten me where you are going where you need a spare battery that you don't have easy access to a charger?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So enlighten me where you are going where you need a spare battery that you don't have easy access to a charger?
6 to 8+ hour hikes/rides (music and sometimes gps/tracking via something like mytracks or strava)
walking around in cities / vacation (museums, etc) - using phone as camera / GPS and won't be in one place long enough to charge
overnight camping

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So basically everywhere you would have a backpack, but carrying a USB battery pack like I posted is silly. Got it.

Just saying. There are quite a few people that do all the same things you do and manage to get along fine without a replaceable battery...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So basically everywhere you would have a backpack, but carrying a USB battery pack like I posted is silly. Got it.

Just saying. There are quite a few people that do all the same things you do and manage to get along fine without a replaceable battery...
just general preparedness. I don't hike/camp long enough that i'm counting grams, so a spare battery is super easy to pack in.

that, and my spare battery was free when i purchased the phone

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
you fagets probably carry spare tubes even though you've made all necessary preparations for an uneventful ride.

i see where you're going w/ this...
Nope. I carry a cell phone and a $20. Our cabs have bike racks...

The point is that any phone with a replaceable battery means you don't need a sh!tty workaround to a stupid design. I also carry 2 memory cards for my camera when I'm on vacation so that when one's full I can just pop it out and put the other one in. I don't need some expensive card-reader/hard drive just to find a workaround for a (hypothetical) camera with a sh!tty non-replaceable memory card...

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The point is carrying an extra battery is carrying an extra battery whether it fits in the phone or not. Not only that, but my sh!tty workaround will still outlast your extra battery by probably 4:1. My point is that you guys just assume that because you seem to think a replaceable battery is important, everyone cares, but most people could give a rats ass. I don't think I know anyone that carries around any extra battery on a routine basis...

Bottom line, whatever floats your boat, but stop pretending it should matter to everyone. It doesn't. I use an iPhone and a Galaxy S3 on a daily basis and IMO, the S3 sucks my nuts.

If you love android, good for you, but that's why there's a free market...

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The point is that any phone with a replaceable battery means you don't need a sh!tty workaround to a stupid design. I also carry 2 memory cards for my camera when I'm on vacation so that when one's full I can just pop it out and put the other one in. I don't need some expensive card-reader/hard drive just to find a workaround for a (hypothetical) camera with a sh!tty non-replaceable memory card...

I use both android (S3) and iOS (iP5) devices, kazlx is full of ****. Neither is ****, its personal preference. jimmydean is a professional developer who writes for iOS and yet he detests iOS but likes the hardware. His personal phone is android.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea I'm full of **** because I use an S3 and hate it...

Yet after that you say it's personal preference...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
The point is carrying an extra battery is carrying an extra battery whether it fits in the phone or not. Not only that, but my sh!tty workaround will still outlast your extra battery by probably 4:1. My point is that you guys just assume that because you seem to think a replaceable battery is important, everyone cares, but most people could give a rats ass. I don't think I know anyone that carries around any extra battery on a routine basis...

Bottom line, whatever floats your boat, but stop pretending it should matter to everyone. It doesn't. I use an iPhone and a Galaxy S3 on a daily basis and IMO, the S3 sucks my nuts.

If you love android, good for you, but that's why there's a free market...
Really? You have the option of carrying around something the size of a half-dollar coin and you'd rather choose something that's as big (bigger?) than the cell-phone it's charging? How about if you're on a ride using your cellphone as a GPS, can you plug that Energi battery into your phone while it's clamped to your handlebar? Or holding it up to your ear so you can use it as a, you know, phone? How long is that charging cable again?

It just seems like a terrible workaround necessitated by a problem that shouldn't exist. This isn't about iOS vs Android, this is about Apple making a dumb design decision that negatively impacts it's devices...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Conjecture: Part of why the S3 subjectively feels flimsy and cheap is because of the limitations inherent in making a detachable battery design.

My iPhone 4 did require a new battery shortly before 2 years were up, but that was taken care of by Applecare/the Genius Bar handing me a new one at the local Apple Store. For any applications where I need long-term power I bring a charger, whether the one that lives in each of the cars or the tiny brick that I bring when traveling by air.

Not a problem, people&#8230;

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Really? You have the option of carrying around something the size of a half-dollar coin and you'd rather choose something that's as big (bigger?) than the cell-phone it's charging? How about if you're on a ride using your cellphone as a GPS, can you plug that Energi battery into your phone while it's clamped to your handlebar? Or holding it up to your ear so you can use it as a, you know, phone? How long is that charging cable again?

It just seems like a terrible workaround necessitated by a problem that shouldn't exist. This isn't about iOS vs Android, this is about Apple making a dumb design decision that negatively impacts it's devices...
Yes, I do. Because when I am doing something something that requires more than a full charge, having one extra battery wouldn't cut it either. If I have a backpack on and I'm not preparing to summit Everest, I really don't care that the power pack is the size of my phone. I actually prefer the extra capacity compared to another tiny phone battery.

I don't strap my phone to my handlebar because I enjoy riding my bike more than nerding out. Yet, it seems to handle data logging for multiple hour rides/hikes in my backpack just fine, without needing to stop and replace the battery. On any vehicle that produces electricity, guess what, there is power there. You seem to not get the fact that just because you have an issue with something doesn't mean everyone does. Go start asking random people on the street if they care if their phone has a replaceable battery. I would put money on it that most do not, just as I do. You are not everyone else. Apple builds phones for the majority, not the minority, just like pretty much every other company. Quit making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Conjecture: Part of why the S3 subjectively feels flimsy and cheap is because of the limitations inherent in making a detachable battery design.

My iPhone 4 did require a new battery shortly before 2 years were up, but that was taken care of by Applecare/the Genius Bar handing me a new one at the local Apple Store. For any applications where I need long-term power I bring a charger, whether the one that lives in each of the cars or the tiny brick that I bring when traveling by air.

Not a problem, people&#8230;
At least someone gets it.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
How much (usable) energy is in that backup charger you have? Are you really claiming it's more (4 times more) than the 1800-3300mAh that a normal smartphone battery has? Even something like this only has 2000 mAh in it, and that's the big (expensive) one. The smaller one only has half that much...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
4000 mAh in the one I use. So twice the standard S3 2100 mAh battery. Works fine for me when I need it. Plus will power anything USB instead of just my phone, including being able to charge/run my GoPro. But shucks, you really convinced me to go buy an S3 for personal use because I can replace the battery. Keep grasping at straws...

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP4001-Universal-Rechargeable-Power/dp/tech-data/B0029U2WUA/ref=de_a_smtd

And honestly, it seems like the power rating is conservative. I have used that battery pack for straight 10 hour flights listening to music and playing games, with juice left over and a fully charged phone when I get off the plane. Sometimes there's more to real life than the numbers...

One of my complaints about the S3 is that it sucks down the battery just sitting there.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can use a bigger one than 2100 optionally, you can buy 64 GB of microSDXC memory for $60, you could buy a cable for $3 and use it with a standard USB key, or for a $15 cable you can plug it into an HDMI display. The new one is 2600 with a larger screen, smaller form factor, and lower weight.

The S3 was rated higher for video capture but the iP5 was rated higher for stills.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
4000 mAh in the one I use. So twice the standard S3 2100 mAh battery. Works fine for me when I need it. Plus will power anything USB instead of just my phone, including being able to charge/run my GoPro. But shucks, you really convinced me to go buy an S3 for personal use because I can replace the battery. Keep grasping at straws...

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP4001-Universal-Rechargeable-Power/dp/tech-data/B0029U2WUA/ref=de_a_smtd

And honestly, it seems like the power rating is conservative. I have used that battery pack for straight 10 hour flights listening to music and playing games, with juice left over and a fully charged phone when I get off the plane. Sometimes there's more to real life than the numbers...

One of my complaints about the S3 is that it sucks down the battery just sitting there.
because you gotta get all that valuable footage to rack up over 100 youtube views