Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Democratic party?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Between the shifty shit with Wasserman-shultz and milk toast Kaine, Hillary clearly thinks she's got a lock on the left. This is the sort of bubble thinking that took Romney by surprise. The Bernie bros might just burn the convention center to the ground. Trump has a real chance of winning this thing.

The Democratic party is toast if it loses to a clown like Douchebag Von Fuckface, and if it should, does it really deserve to continue to live?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

My fear is the Ross Perot effect with some "green party" or some other that will take just enough votes to let the Cheeto Jebbus take it.

While I fear for my country in general with the thought of the Cheeto Jeebus, at least I am a little more secure in my line of work unlike the Bush years. But who knows, he could wholesale us all the China for the right price. :panic:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My fear is the Ross Perot effect with some "green party" or some other that will take just enough votes to let the Cheeto Jebbus take it.
I dunno. To a person, every solidly reliable Republican I am willing to communicate with has claimed they are going to go Johnson. Anecdotally it seems like "the Nader effect" is as much a danger for Drumpf as it is for Hillary.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I dunno. To a person, every solidly reliable Republican I am willing to communicate with has claimed they are going to go Johnson. Anecdotally it seems like "the Nader effect" is as much a danger for Drumpf as it is for Hillary.
I am seeing that a lot, too. I just think a lot of my crazier friends who wouldn't say who they were voting for before now are claiming the Johnson vote, too. But to be honest, I think it is more for show. They will talk Johnson, vote Trump, then pretend to be shocked when Trump wins.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so apparently wikileaks is claiming the next round of leaks on this subject is pending and will be enough to indict clinton.

should be interesting. the circus is definitely in town.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
From the Borowitz Report today: "Democrats ready to unite against Deborah Wasserman-Schultz".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One thing I can't stand is politics in my politics.

Can we just rename the Democratic party the Republican party?

We can call the Republicans something snazzy like the Nahtzee party.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
A list of unpopular statements/opinions:

1) It's the DNC's job to win elections, not necessarily to be impartial.
2) the race was effectively over and damaging the front runner.
3) The Bernie campaign had been waging war on the DNC for months and had improperly accessed Hillary data.
4) I'm surprised the content of the e-mails wasn't far worse considering the above
5) Folks have been searching for the smoking gun against a Clinton for over 25 years. Get comfy if you are waiting for that to happen.
6) If you are more worried about DWS being a meanie than Russian interference in our election, you are missing the point
7) The bernie bros are childish, disrespectful shit bags that will do far more harm than good to their cause.

Flame on if you like

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
A list of unpopular statements/opinions:

1) It's the DNC's job to win elections, not necessarily to be impartial.
2) the race was effectively over and damaging the front runner.
3) The Bernie campaign had been waging war on the DNC for months and had improperly accessed Hillary data.
4) I'm surprised the content of the e-mails wasn't far worse considering the above
5) Folks have been searching for the smoking gun against a Clinton for over 25 years. Get comfy if you are waiting for that to happen.
6) If you are more worried about DWS being a meanie than Russian interference in our election, you are missing the point
7) The bernie bros are childish, disrespectful shit bags that will do far more harm than good to their cause.

Flame on if you like
1) Section 4. The National Chairperson shall serve full time and shall receive such compensation as may be determined by agreement between the Chairperson and the Democratic National Committee. In the conduct and management of the affairs and procedures of the Democratic National Committee, particularly as they apply to the preparation and conduct of the Presidential nomination process, the Chairperson shall exercise impartiality and evenhandedness as between the Presidential candidates and campaigns. The Chairperson shall be responsible for ensuring that the national officers and staff of the Democratic National Committee maintain impartiality and evenhandedness during the Democratic Party Presidential nominating process.
2) Why would you even try Bernie? Should have stayed home, why did you even try to run a campaign in the first place, everyone knew this was a coronation for Hillary and all you're doing is upsetting the carriage.
3) You mean the data they had access to because the IT people at the DNC are apparently unfamiliar with computers and data safety? Can't imagine how that could lead to any future issues.
"Given that it is the DNC's responsibility to secure the voter data file, the DNC has failed in this regard—and punishing the Sanders campaign, when no evidence of malicious action has been presented, is unnecessary and misguided," said the group's director of analytics, Milan de Vries. "The DNC should immediately audit its vendor to ensure compliance. In the meantime, as it investigates the situation, it should restore full access to the Sanders campaign. If, in fact, the data is not secure, then access should be suspended for all campaigns until the problem is rectified."
4) The argument from moral relevancy? "Welp, nobody raped a baby so it's like nothing bad happened at all!"
5) Can't really argue with this. I agree that the witch hunt on the Clintons, especially Hillary, is kind of stale.
6) Did Putin write the emails? Are they in fact legitimate documents or not?

7) This, personally, is my biggest conflict, and has caused my no small amount of self reflection. When I went to the county Caucus here, I was a little dismayed by the behavior of some of the Bernie folks. While I was also upset by the actions, behavior and overwhelmingly clear Hillary bias on the part of the El Paso County Dems, the boorish behavior of some of the Sanders supporters during the proceedings was disheartening. I'm of the opinion that if you want to claim the higher ground, the higher principals, it is incumbent upon oneself to act like you have it. Nobody likes a spoiled child, and nobody respects one. Behavior matters. But herein is the problem with the Hillary camp. As it becomes more and more clear that things were not, how shall I say, on the level, it shouldn't be a surprise when people call her a cheater. It shouldn't be a surprise when people accuse her of cronyism. If the Hillary camp wants to complain that teh Sanders people are behaving like children, they first need to take a long hard look in mirror and decide if their own behavior ought to be emulated. You can be damned sure that if the shoe was on the other foot the Hillary camp would be wailing and gnashing teeth fit for the Western Wall.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
are they really interfering? or maybe it was DWS / teh DNC that were interfering, and the russians (or whoever hacked the email)s just exposed what was already widely suspected.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
are they really interfering? or maybe it was DWS / teh DNC that were interfering, and the russians (or whoever hacked the email)s just exposed what was already widely suspected.
I guess interfering in the sense that they made sure this information would become public.
They'd love some Putin vs. Drumpf action over in Moscow.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
IMO it's irrelevant. Doesn't matter if it was the Russians, Donald Trump, or the Easter Bunny that leaked those emails. The argument seems to be that somehow if the source of the leak can be labeled as bullshit, then it negates the bullshit that was exposed by the leak it self. That's a fallacious argument, at best.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
IMO it's irrelevant. Doesn't matter if it was the Russians, Donald Trump, or the Easter Bunny that leaked those emails. The argument seems to be that somehow if the source of the leak can be labeled as bullshit, then it negates the bullshit that was exposed by the leak it self. That's a fallacious argument, at best.
allegedly the most damning evidence from the hacked emails has yet to be released.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Let us hope that this election cycle burns both major parties to ashes. Maybe a reasonable candidate will show up a la Sir Lancelot in the Holy Grail some time in September.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
This.
Also, the fact that this DNC bias ISN'T a lead story this morning shows that journalism / reporting is dead in our country.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
honestly, at this point that sounds like it'd be an improvement on the two party system.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
allegedly the most damning evidence from the hacked emails has yet to be released.
If this additional WikiLeaks trove offers up material legitimately worthy of indictment (and the email stuff wasn't, IMO) then it will be a true shitshow come September, what with getting other candidates on the ballot and the like.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If this additional WikiLeaks trove offers up material legitimately worthy of indictment (and the email stuff wasn't, IMO) then it will be a true shitshow come September, what with getting other candidates on the ballot and the like.
that's what's been claimed. not exactly holding my breath. but yes, it will be an absolute shit show.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
first candidate to promise a dentist bike in every garage gets my vote....i'd prefer mine in steel.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Oh, there you go again...bringing class into it.
I like that you took on the role of "woman". Very progressive of you. :D

that's what's been claimed. not exactly holding my breath. but yes, it will be an absolute shit show.
:stupid:

My gut says if their was anything worse floating around out in the ether, we'd have seen it already.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Here's the deal, you can think the DNC was in the wrong AND think it is a huge deal if Russia is tampering in our elections. Trump has a campaign manager that has deep ties to the Russian government and has russian lenders that are vital to his business. He has repeatedly questioned if NATO should be protecting the Balkan states and has threatened to pull us out of NATO all together. There could be a serious shift in the balance of world power if he were to be elected.

This.
Also, the fact that this DNC bias ISN'T a lead story this morning shows that journalism / reporting is dead in our country.
Something that everybody already knows isn't really news. Of course there is bias in the party apparatus. I am sure there were similar things going around in 08 but Hillary lost anyway. I am certain there were similar or worse e-mails going around the RNC this elections cycle. I just think it is naive to think the party structures are truly unbiased even if it is in their bylaws.

7) This, personally, is my biggest conflict, and has caused my no small amount of self reflection. When I went to the county Caucus here, I was a little dismayed by the behavior of some of the Bernie folks. While I was also upset by the actions, behavior and overwhelmingly clear Hillary bias on the part of the El Paso County Dems, the boorish behavior of some of the Sanders supporters during the proceedings was disheartening. I'm of the opinion that if you want to claim the higher ground, the higher principals, it is incumbent upon oneself to act like you have it. Nobody likes a spoiled child, and nobody respects one. Behavior matters. But herein is the problem with the Hillary camp. As it becomes more and more clear that things were not, how shall I say, on the level, it shouldn't be a surprise when people call her a cheater. It shouldn't be a surprise when people accuse her of cronyism. If the Hillary camp wants to complain that teh Sanders people are behaving like children, they first need to take a long hard look in mirror and decide if their own behavior ought to be emulated. You can be damned sure that if the shoe was on the other foot the Hillary camp would be wailing and gnashing teeth fit for the Western Wall.
The fact that we even use caucuses is a much greater barrier to democracy than anything we saw in the e-mail dump. Nobody should have to deal with zealots in order to register a vote in this country.