Quantcast

Armstrong Drama

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
i'm with you on this point!! seems that the TdF has gotten way too big for their own good. while it's become THE race that people know about, it's not the only big tour out there or for that matter the only important race for racers or fans. seems to me that the spring classics get just as much admiration from racers and fans. somehow, someone has to step up and fix this problem. maybe a time for a change in mgmt. their pissed that a frenchie hasn't won the race in a long time. well if that's so important to them why not just allow french teams and riders to race and get it out of the way. i'm just curious as to how many dopers they'll catch this year. with all this drama and BS, i'd rather watch the Giro and Vuelta and skip the TdF.
I didn't really pay attention to the TDF too much last year. Basically my stance was, the best riders aren't competing so the race means nothing to me.

As much as I'd like teams to stay out of the TDF and teach the bastards that they aren't the only race that counts, it will never happen which is a bummer because they totally deserve it. Fact is, too many riders have dreamed their whole lives about winning that race and wont want to join teams that wont compete in it. Also, it's the only race that matters to non cyclists. When was the last time you heard a non cyclist utter the words Giro-De-Italia outside of italy or Vuelta outside of Spain? Answer=Never.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't really pay attention to the TDF too much last year. Basically my stance was, the best riders aren't competing so the race means nothing to me.

As much as I'd like teams to stay out of the TDF and teach the bastards that they aren't the only race that counts, it will never happen which is a bummer because they totally deserve it. Fact is, too many riders have dreamed their whole lives about winning that race and wont want to join teams that wont compete in it. Also, it's the only race that matters to non cyclists. When was the last time you heard a non cyclist utter the words Giro-De-Italia outside of italy or Vuelta outside of Spain? Answer=Never.
You contradicted yourself :) TDF matters the most because it is the race that is the most well known. Personally, I like the Giro and I'm looking forward to kick a** race this year!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i too wish VS would just say screw it to the TdF and cover the Giro and Vuelta more. not that ASO would miss the coverage in the US, they could probably care less that we're even watching. i'll watch just to see how well Garmin does.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You contradicted yourself :) TDF matters the most because it is the race that is the most well known. Personally, I like the Giro and I'm looking forward to kick a** race this year!
It is an interesting idea that the TdF was to lose popularity in time.

There is nothing specific about the TdF that makes it the premier national tour except for that it was the first.

While I applaud the organizers efforts to keep cheaters out, including the ridiculous ban of Astana last year despite an entirely new team, if the French were to keep out Armstrong over a procedural violation which their own official approved, then cycling as a whole should think of ways to move away from the TdF.

I doubt next year you will see the Giro being held in July, but things will change.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
T-Dog...he might not have let go but you look like you could have taken him like candy from a baby...

Lance is egging this on quite a bit...living and training in France--I mean really... I do believe he is clean though. I have never understood why there is so much hate for him on this board.