Quantcast

Arnett OUT!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
when i first read the interview, i thought that he must be pandering to the Iraqis in order to get some info as to the whereabouts of the two missing journalists.

If he was trying to get info to rescue them, then he's a hero. Otherwise, he should just STFU.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
The classic mistake – when a journalist’s ego is so large he believes he’s part of the story instead of reporting.

Aloha on the steel guitar.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I saw Geraldos little map drawing cherade live last night. I was calling him a dumba$$ for that then, and now he's being fired. Man i hate that guy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Damn True
Exactly.
That is in large part the reason for the decline in credibility in the media over the last 20 years. A swing away from reporting the news and toward being the news.
I have noticed that all of the major news networks have dedicated a lot of time to stories on their reporters in the field. The egos are immense.

What cracks me up even more is how the commentators always point out the suffering and danger the field reporters are exposed to. Am I supposed to feel bad for the field reporter? Those guys are in some danger but not close to that of the soldiers around them, not to mention they can leave when ever they want and they probably make more $$ than highest ranked field commanders. I am surprised there is not a network dedicated to reporting on the reporters of other news networks.

Unfortunately media is a source of entertainment not a source of facts. Rumors, sound effects and flashy graphics have taken place of the truth.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Westy
I have noticed that all of the major news networks have dedicated a lot of time to stories on their reporters in the field. The egos are immense.

What cracks me up even more is how the commentators always point out the suffering and danger the field reporters are exposed to. Am I supposed to feel bad for the field reporter? Those guys are in some danger but not close to that of the soldiers around them, not to mention they can leave when ever they want and they probably make more $$ than highest ranked field commanders. I am surprised there is not a network dedicated to reporting on the reporters of other news networks.

Unfortunately media is a source of entertainment not a source of facts. Rumors, sound effects and flashy graphics have taken place of the truth.
Coming to your local cable system (of course Pat won't see it) RNN. Reporter's News Network. All reporters all the time.

They all saw what it did for Stone Phillips in the last war now they are all angling to be next to Jane.

The quality of the reports have been so widely varied that its not funny. I like David Bloom's reports best of all the embedded reporters so far.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Originally posted by Motionboy2
Anyone have a link to the story on Geraldo? I can't find it.
AP wire sez:

Geraldo Rivera Denies Being Kicked Out Of Iraq
Reporter Says He'll March Into Baghdad With Troops
Posted: 1:01 p.m. EST March 31, 2003

Geraldo Rivera says it's a "pack of lies."

He's denying reports that he's been kicked out of Iraq by U.S. military officials for giving out too much information about troop locations.

Reporting on the Fox News Channel, Rivera said he's actually further inside Iraq than he'd been before.

He was standing alongside U.S. troops in a building he identified as Iraq's ruling party headquarters in a city south of Baghdad.

Rivera said it sounds like the rumors that he'd been kicked out were spread by colleagues at NBC, where he used to work.

He says his rivals "can't compete fair and square on the battlefield" -- so they try to stab him in the back.

But in the end, he insists, "quality journalism wins out."

Rivera says he has a "great relationship" with the troops in the 101st Airborne -- and that he plans to "march into Baghdad alongside them."

Sources at U.S. Central Command have said that Rivera was asked to leave because he revealed tactical information.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by DRB
Coming to your local cable system (of course Pat won't see it) RNN. Reporter's News Network. All reporters all the time.

They all saw what it did for Stone Phillips in the last war now they are all angling to be next to Jane.

The quality of the reports have been so widely varied that its not funny. I like David Bloom's reports best of all the embedded reporters so far.
Funniest comment from embedded reporter I have heard so far was from Fox's Rick Leventhal with a Marine LAR group. "We have missles named HELLFIRE, PATRIOT, and TOMAHAWK, they have missles named SEERSUCKER, SILKWORM and SCUD. Who do YOU think is gonna win this war?"
There was four Marines standing behind him doing some PMS on a Bradley and all of them busted up laughing.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Funniest comment from embedded reporter I have heard so far was from Fox's Rick Leventhal with a Marine LAR group. "We have missles named HELLFIRE, PATRIOT, and TOMAHAWK, they have missles named SEERSUCKER, SILKWORM and SCUD. Who do YOU think is gonna win this war?"
There was four Marines standing behind him doing some PMS on a Bradley and all of them busted up laughing.
Well he's obviously a bastion of fairness and balance. I wonder if he's got a crew cut yet. Fox News......LOL

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by splat
Didn't Peter Arnett get in similar trouble in the 1991 gulf war when he was with CNN ? which was part of the reason he and CNN parted ways in the first place ? I could be wrong on this , but just trying to remeber.
He was fired frm CNN before for his Tailwind story about the US using poison gas during the Vietnam war. The story turned out to be false.

steve

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Well he's obviously a bastion of fairness and balance. I wonder if he's got a crew cut yet. Fox News......LOL
I think a bit of cheerleading is good for our troops and their families back home.

Name a media outlet that isn't allowing their own particular editorial SLANT to enter into the presentation of "news".

IMO Fox does a damn good job of presenting both sides. Can't say the same for some other outlets. I spent the last few days listening to BBC and NPR radio and at times I thought I was listening to Al Jazzera, and my GOD do they portray soldiers as simpletons. In fact I heard two different reporters charachterize servicemen as (paraphrasing both assinine comments) "Those who could not get into college." and portraying their biggest concern as wether or not they get the mint-chocolate brownie in the MRE's. C'mon.

Last week a BBC embedded reporter quit because the BBC was omiting factual information from his submissions in support of their editorial slant which blatantly panders to the anti-war side.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
.....and portraying their biggest concern as wether or not they get the mint-chocolate brownie in the MRE's. C'mon.
That is a pretty big deal. It probably comes very near the top everyday. Stay alive, get MREs that I like, then all of the other stuff falls in behind that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Anyone seen Geraldo Rivera since his "map incident". I haven't heard anything since the initial report I heard on NBC radio.
Kind of. The Daily Show on commedy central did a very funny piece on the Geraldo situation. They showed him snatch his mic away from a soldier who was greeting to his family to explain what a great reporter he was and how NBC was jealous.:rolleyes: It really showed what a self centered d1ckhead he is.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by DRB
I always dreaded the ham loaf.
I remember having to gag down the dehydrated beef patty... which was second only to the dehydrated pork patty for unsurpassed disgustingness...:dead: :dead: :dead:

At least those two Meals Ready to Excrete had the dehydrated strawberries in them, which, in the field, was as good as cash!

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I heard that you had to have the chocolates as they were the laxative that allowed you to pass the rest of the belly buster?

Legend or fact?

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
MRE = Meals, Ready-to Eat......

Three lies in one. at least it ain't the brit rats.... they don't call them $hit-eaters for nuthin.