Quantcast

ARRRRG People Have To Learn How To Drive SUVs

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
flatulant_man said:
lay off, the damn car drives well.
meh, i won't stop until he sells his disco at a huge loss and spends the rest of his days lying in a corner, rocking back in forth in the fetal position while saying "just make it stop!" over and over

:D

btw my own pathfinder is all about image, especially the m/t tires. they hurt braking, cornering and fuel economy but they look great and go well with hiking boots, heh. and just in case wwiii comes and the streets are paved with mud i'll be prepared

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Toshi said:
meh, i won't stop until he sells his disco at a huge loss and spends the rest of his days lying in a corner, rocking back in forth in the fetal position while saying "just make it stop!" over and over

:D
im going to go curb hucking :eviltongu

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
chicodude01 said:
While i agree with you about the use of suv in area of say, Tahoe. But in the city you dont need them. You can get a mini van that has just as many seats but twice the gas milage.
Mini vans are very functional, however not mine or my wifes cup of tea.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Toshi said:
this statement proves that the disco is an image vehicle. :think:
If the WRX Sti is an image vehicle you can count me among the souless cretins - that is the sweetest thing around as far as I'm concerned - where else can you get a faster than hell car that will stand up to being driven, like it was made to be driven, without sucking down a grand a month in maintenance, for 32k ?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
s1ngletrack said:
If the WRX Sti is an image vehicle you can count me among the souless cretins - that is the sweetest thing around as far as I'm concerned - where else can you get a faster than hell car that will stand up to being driven, like it was made to be driven, without sucking down a grand a month in maintenance, for 32k ?

:stupid:

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
xbluethunderx said:
It might have something to do with the fact that my city/valley gets the worst air quality in the US during the winter, eh? Maybe if this wasn't the land of the quad cab diesel pickup, it'd be easier to breathe.
Diesels typically produce less emissions than any gas powered engine due to higher compression. You may think you smell diesel more, but they are emitting less emission. Get used to a diesel, between that, and DI two-strokes, I think these are future powerplants.

I'm only curious, but how many of you guys who are ripping on SUV's live in States that see decent snowfalls? Live somewhere where there's a decent winter and you'll understand why four wheel drive is a must. If you say it's not a necessity, you've likely never owned one and have never had the opportunity to make use of four wheel drive. I'm not here to argue, I live in Northern Canada and four wheel drive in mandatory when you live in the coutnryside and roads aren't plowed for days

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I know I know about diesels being better etc...I was just using it as an example.

And I do know about winters, it gets to -20 F here in the winter. However, it doesn't justify driving a massive vehicle that gets tops 14 MPG. You can get AWD vehicles with decent gas mileage.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i live in the mounatin/foothills where we get snow regularly and a car does just fine. Hell, even my old 2wd truck does good in the snow. we live a a steep hill ,too.

4wd does you no good if you dont know how to use it in the snow. Yea it helps, but when you turn it on, its not going to magicly (sp?) get you home safely. You still need to have skills.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
GeoffW said:
Diesels typically produce less emissions than any gas powered engine due to higher compression. You may think you smell diesel more, but they are emitting less emission. Get used to a diesel, between that, and DI two-strokes, I think these are future powerplants.
while i agree that they are the future (at least of non-hybrid internal combustion engines :D) even current diesels still put out a whole load of particulates and nitrogen oxides, iirc... until we get proper low sulfur fuel in the u.s. diesels will remain the ugly stepsister of the gas engine

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
I know people have gotten around for years without it, I know the capabilities of 4 wheel drive as well, I run a Cherokee with a 4.5" RE lift and it has it's share of battle scars. If you know how to use it, you've got an advantage, my point is, I think once you get used to the comfort of it, it's tough to go back. I couldn't.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
If you've ever been to the PNW, you'll know it has it's fair share of hills. Whenever it snows here, even in relatively small amounts (4 inches), it basically shuts everything down...You can instantly tell what people lived back east, as they're the only people who can drive in the snow. SUV or not, as chico said, it's all about the skills...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My FWD 88 Accord does fine in our feets and feets of snow...Besides, ride your bike, you go faster...at least in the winter.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
My FWD 88 Accord does fine in our feets and feets of snow...Besides, ride your bike, you go faster...at least in the winter.
With experience, you can drive in snow most of the time just fine in any car. But if you live in Buffalo, Syracuse, or any other place that gets lake effect snow there are multiple times each winter where you will need 4wd, or you aren't going anywhere, unless you own a sled. (Dog or 4-stroke) When snow falls at a rate of 3-5 inches an hour 5-6 hours in a row, your Honda probably won't make it out of the driveway. :dead:

I defintely agree that one needs driving skill. 4wd doesn't all of a sudden make you a pro, it just allows you to go twice as far off the road when you spin out. :p

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
berkshire_rider said:
With experience, you can drive in snow most of the time just fine in any car. But if you live in Buffalo, Syracuse, or any other place that gets lake effect snow there are multiple times each winter where you will need 4wd, or you aren't going anywhere, unless you own a sled. (Dog or 4-stroke) When snow falls at a rate of 3-5 inches an hour 5-6 hours in a row, your Honda probably won't make it out of the driveway. :dead:

I defintely agree that one needs driving skill. 4wd doesn't all of a sudden make you a pro, it just allows you to go twice as far off the road when you spin out. :p
NOTHING will make it out of the driveway at that point, unless you happen to drive an M1 Abrams or a snowplow.

You silly Eastern people should come west and learn about REAL weather conditions ;)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
ViolentVolante said:
---My jaw dropped, and i just looked at him shook my head, and drove around him and his precious H2.
No, no, no... you did that all wrong... :nope:

You are supposed to pull in front of him, stop in the gravel, then floor it and spray gravel all over the front of his precious H2. If I'd been driving my van, that's probably what I would have done.
:evil:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ian F said:
No, no, no... you did that all wrong... :nope:

You are supposed to pull in front of him, stop in the gravel, then floor it and spray gravel all over the front of his precious H2. If I'd been driving my van, that's probably what I would have done.
:evil:
full time 4wd :(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
ViolentVolante said:
I begin to honk repeatedly, and flash my brights, he goes the same speed, then i roll down my window, stick my head out and scream "learn how to drive your truck asshole"
Ummmmm.....and the H2 guy is the one with the problem!?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Another thread gone horribly wrong.

I'm not going on another LR sales pitch.

Enjoy the Disco VV.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BurlySurly said:
Go Bears, still though.
You know, Lovie Smith is doing a good job considering there is ZERO talent on that team. The Bears are playing competitive ball and are not getting blown out every game, unlike say the Dolphins.

What the hell kind of name for a dude is "Lovie"?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Toshi said:
(note that i'm not some anti-suv crusader. i just think that what land rover has done in the u.s. is obscene)

Why?

What did they do that offended you?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I Are Baboon said:
You know, Lovie Smith is doing a good job considering there is ZERO talent on that team. The Bears are playing competitive ball and are not getting blown out every game, unlike say the Dolphins.

What the hell kind of name for a dude is "Lovie"?
Well, we actually do have alot of talent on Defense, but its just raw young talent, and that's what keeps us in games. Until this weekend we also had the NFCs leading rusher in Thomas Jones but Im not sure if he's leading anymore...anyway, since Rex Grossman got hurt, Jones is our ONLY offensive weapon, so we cant score enough points. Our recievers have NO talent and thats the fault of the GM. Next year with all the young guys though, we will have probably the league's top D or close to it, and maybe we can draft a reciever and Grossman will be back, so its playoffs for sure. Also, up to this point, the bears have had the hardest schedule in the league with Philly, Green Bay, Minnesota and Detroit...and came away with ONE win, the rest of the schedule is easy, so Im hoping to eek in with a wildcard still. Coaches are doing alot of good scheming, plus Brian Urlacher and Jerry Azumah are finally back from injuries after this week's bye, so Im predicting a big winning streek. And yea, lovie is kind of a stupid name, but he has been scheming well for defense. Offense is lackluster at best.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DVNT said:
Why?

What did they do that offended you?
they've turned a utility truck into a yuppie cruiser. 18" wheels with low profile all seasons are completely useless off road, for instance. also i'm mad since i can't get a diesel, cloth interior model here since they've deemed that such a car would cheapen their snooty image here.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Toshi said:
they've turned a utility truck into a yuppie cruiser. 18" wheels with low profile all seasons are completely useless off road, for instance. also i'm mad since i can't get a diesel, cloth interior model here since they've deemed that such a car would cheapen their snooty image here.

Well you might as well wait for a Defender anyways....

I got sick of waiting and picked up a Freelander. It is awesome! It's not too bad off road for a little guy and it has technical fabric seats and rubber cargo space.

Look at a Disco G4 model. It comes standard with a lot of OR kit and has the tech fabric seats. Prices on Disco's should drop by about 12k once LRNA takes delivery on the first LR3's (Another vehicle designed to target the North American Market).

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
The Pre-BMW ones can be nightmares.. (LUCAS ELECTRONICS)
The dealerships all offer free routine maintenance till i think 48k and the usual free oil change, car wash deal.

I'd definately stay away from any Disco older than 99 just to be on the safe side.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Toshi said:
ive got an 02 with 16s

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
DVNT said:
Is it the S, SE or HSE model ya know?
i think its an SE, not sure though, mine was re-painted right before i bought it, because they were remodeling the dealership, and mine, as well as 20 other trucks were accidentally sprayed with a chemical, long story short it has no badging on the side. Mine has the HK system, and thats about it. No wood package, big rims, jump seats, or fancy crap really. I must say though, the HK system is totally bitchin, its great for a stock system, it rocks

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
ViolentVolante said:
i think its an SE, not sure though, mine was re-painted right before i bought it, because they were remodeling the dealership, and mine, as well as 20 other trucks were accidentally sprayed with a chemical, long story short it has no badging on the side. Mine has the HK system, and thats about it. No wood package, big rims, jump seats, or fancy crap really. I must say though, the HK system is totally bitchin, its great for a stock system, it rocks

Mine sounds great, came with the 240 watt sub in the back.

SE models are the best in my opinion. The S is really too stripped down and the HSE is too posh. It should have the rear air suspension in it as well.

Have you done any mods yet?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
DVNT said:
Mine sounds great, came with the 240 watt sub in the back.

SE models are the best in my opinion. The S is really too stripped down and the HSE is too posh. It should have the rear air suspension in it as well.

Have you done any mods yet?
i have the SLS rear, i spent most of my "other sh1t" budget on bikes and other stuff this year, next year i plan to get ARBs front and rear, MTRs, have my stock wheels PC'd black to match the color of the truck, and a 2in lift front and rear (this would replace the SLS with a standard spring system)