Quantcast

Ass in hand...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Raced my first ever road event in the form of a crit today. Drilled tempo for 4 laps on the front to see how I felt. The answer was "not good". I dangled off the group by 2/3s of a lap the rest of the race. Haven't been riding lately, after getting hit and all but I had no idea my fitness was sh*t.

It was fun none the less.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Love crits. Love love LOVE crits, even when you don't win or even do well they're a blast, especially really technical courses. Crit tactics and psychology are also rather interesting. Did the last one of the season yesterday, had to pull in for a mechanical halfway through when I had a good break on the group (applied bike lust to bike night before - seatpost slipped 4ish inches - doh!) and the official wouldn't grant me a free lap. Managed to make up the lost lap and finished in the sprint at 4th with no gas left in the tank.

Secured my Cat 3 upgrade, at least.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
At least the official knows what is and is not a mechanical.

Loco, what crit?

After 4 months of crits and with 15-or so in the bag, I can say that crit fitness isn't gained with saddle time.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
At least the official knows what is and is not a mechanical.

After 4 months of crits and with 15-or so in the bag, I can say that crit fitness isn't gained with saddle time.
That seemed to be a point of contention with the officials, but I digress - it was my own lack of preparedness that kicked my ass.

And I think it greatly depends on the crit. Flat, short crits definitely. Anything longer or with hills and the fatties get dropped.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Yeah, I thought about going to that, but I didn't want to drop the cash.

Stefan is fast. All of those THSJ guys are fast. If you ever get a chance to see them in a big race where they bring out the whole crew, watch them closely. it's a thing of beauty.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I've learned to not underestimate those of larger stature. Mainly 'cause I've had my ass handed to me by some on courses that have long flats (which kill me) and some that have a fair bit of climbing (which suits me).

Regardless, crits are damn fun.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Yeah, I thought about going to that, but I didn't want to drop the cash.

Stefan is fast. All of those THSJ guys are fast. If you ever get a chance to see them in a big race where they bring out the whole crew, watch them closely. it's a thing of beauty.
Always welcome at my place for logistics and convenience.