Quantcast

Astana drops the hammer up Avoriaz

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Alberto Contador (Specialized bikes) crossed the line satisfied in Sunday’s first major decisive mountaintop finish in the 2010 Tour de France.</p><p>
*</p><p>
Andy Schleck won the stage and Cadel Evans took the yellow jersey, but Contador’s Astana teammates proved they are strong enough to control the Tour as it moves into its most decisive stages.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“I have to be content with how the stage unfolded. The team rode perfectly today and we took the weight of the race on our shoulders,” Contador said after crossing the line fifth. “Everyone on the team did their part and we can carry that with us into the Pyrénées, where this Tour will be decided.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
Astana put its riders on the front of the pack as the course turned up the Cat. 1 Col de la Ramaz in the closing 50km of Sunday’s five-climb, 189km eighth stage.</p><p>
*</p><p>
Jesús Hernández and Maxim Iglinksy took pulls before Paolo Tiralongo and Dani Navarro finished off the work on the day’s final, 13.6km push to the Avoriaz summit finale. The lead group was trimmed to 13 riders on the front and Contador slotted into third overall at 1:01 behind Evans.</p><p>
*</p><p>
Contador admitted he didn’t quite have the spark in his legs to respond when Schleck attacked with less than one kilometer to go.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“I was in the wind too long in the final kilometers. Navarro was doing a great job setting the pace and I was on his wheel, but I was catching a lot of wind and I could feel in when Andy attacked,” Contador said. “It was very hot again today, 35C on the road. I am used to the heat in Madrid, but this was a different kind of heat, more humid and suffocating.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
Contador also said now he knows who his most dangerous rivals will be as he aims to win a third Tour crown in four years.</p><p>
*</p><p>
“Andy was very strong last year and this year it’s clear he’s even stronger. Before this Tour started, I knew he would be the most dangerous opponent,” Contador said. “We saw some important rivals lose time today, like Wiggins and Armstrong. Armstrong lost a lot of time today, but maybe he can come back. The Tour will be decided in the Pyrénées, so we’re in a good position. BMC will control the race and we can get ready for the next important stages.”</p><p>
*</p><p>
Astana riders and staff take a breather Monday in the first of two rest days. The 97th Tour clicks back into gear Tuesday with the 204.5km ninth stage from Morzine to Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne. The stage features five climbs, including the “hors categorie” Col de la Madeleine at 172.5km. From the summit, there’s a long, technical descent before 13km of flats to the finish line.</p>

More...