Quantcast

ATA rod broken for Marz 888 - replacement?

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Picked up a used Marz 888 SL ATA from 2007 a while back because I was heading out to the Bellingham, N. Shore and Whistler on a little vacation when my old BoXXer decided to take a total **** on me. Fork was in okay condition, but after that trip and a few more days on the fork, it was feeling awfully stiff and not good over the weekend. I decided to open it up and put new bath oil in. Easy does it. Got the oil in the right side just fine and then the left side appeared to be done too. So I am tightening up the fork leg bolt on the ATA side and I barely just started. Didn't even have a lot of pressure build up yet and the freaking thing brakes off right on the air valve! Called Marzocchi and of course they don't have any new rods for me (it's from 2007 so I understand) and I can't seem to find anything else on the the interweb. I am kinda broke having just finished my second run at college, so buying a whole new fork is out of the question.

What are my options for replacement? Maybe someone has a broken Marz fork? Maybe the avalanche kit replaces the ATA/PAR side? Other options?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If it makes you feel any better, I did the exact same thing you describe way back in the day. Broke my Boxxer 3 days before leaving to race Psychosis. Bought a 888 ava before leaving. Broke the air valve off whilst servicing it a year later.

Can't help you though.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
IIRC bottom air valve is removable, so You can machine a new one or buy similar assembly on ebay.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Last edited:

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I don't know the first thing about machining and can't seem to find one on ebay. Would you be able to elaborate more?

marz888slata.jpg

Here is a bad picture of the part that broke off. I am holding it up to show where it's supposed to be attached. This is with the lowers removed.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Good find by troy, but given that model of 888 seemed to be a pretty unreliable design (I want to say there's at least one thread on here dedicated to ditching the PAR), is the boxxer beyond hope? If the chassis is intact, I think Push might have some replacement damper options for you that are relatively inexpensive.

EDIT - I stand corrected, it doesn't appear Push offers anything for a Boxxer anymore, so I guess see if a charger cart fits :thumb:

Sorry man, hopefully you can track something down on ebay for the 888.

Last edited:

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
The BoXXer is not quite beyond hope. It really would just be a damper rebuild, followed by a seal and oil change. However, the main problem was that it was a 2008 Team BoXXer meaning small stanctions and a drop crown. The stem I have for it is also quite high. I didn't really enjoy running it when I had it.

I sent the eBay guy a message. Here's to hoping he responds. I also managed to find a replacement ATA cartridge in England for $145 (before shipping), but I am not sure they would ship it and it seems like it might be more worth it to save up for a better option?
*edit* Nevermind, this isn't even an option : "We do accept orders from overseas (except USA** below) and in most cases, payment can be accepted by credit card, debit card or PayPal. "

Craig at Avalanche said the Avy cartridge could go in that leg too. However, I think it'd mean tracking down a spring and spring perch too.

And that got me thinking, couldn't I just convert this fork to a traditional coil spring and be done with it anyway?

I would love to upgrade to avalanche, but it is more money than I have right now.

Marzocchi said they would also sell me a new fork for %25 or maybe it was %35 off if I send this old fork back in as a crash replacement or something.

The joys of being unemployed and completely broke are great. All of my bikes are broken now and I can't afford to fix any of them.

Last edited: