Quantcast

Atomlab GI60 Review

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Ok, so I finally got the GI60 from Atomlab last week.

Here are some pics of it on my USB Molly Maguire:

Measurements:
weight - 5lb 14.6oz, 2680g
axle to crown - 18.5"
travel from some use - 45mm

Quick Review:
Cool concept. Burly construction. Simple. Annoying top-out. Might have some flex laterally due to 20mm axle design. I want to like this fork but can't ride it as is. I am very surprised Hacksaw gave his blessing on it as is. Would like to see what would happen if some of the masterminds on this board got ahold of it and were able to mod as they felt fit. Has potential but needs work.

For a longer one that's on MTBR.com - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=412142

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
whoa....

clicked on the link knowing exactly what it was, and after reading your review in another thread earlier, but for some reason, the pics still caught me off guard and threw me for a curve ball, haha...

Very cool looking at least, almost put some pictures in my head of very very early mtb "dh" fork designs and concepts (back when xc was rigid only). Looks way cooler than bolt on crown/stanchion design...

Gussets under fork crown remind me a bit of the old Funn Stiffy rigid forks, and maybe even a bit more of the GT UF24 rigid forks.

I really hope they work the bugs out of those forks, and maybe even hoping for some easily attained guerilla mods for it too... shorter a2c, bit lighter, actual rebound dampening... etc.

That's a bangin' badass ride don.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
all the points you brought up would piss me off too. seems like the only reason you would use this fork is piece of mind and knowing it's super burly...and that's about it.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Is it possible to put a something in the top to soften the top out? I believe the fork is elastomer, right? Is there a place of impact where things hit where another elastomer could be retrofitted. Without seeing the inside of the fork its hard to really provide help.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
all the points you brought up would piss me off too. seems like the only reason you would use this fork is piece of mind and knowing it's super burly...and that's about it.
Exactly. I'm going to contact Brad @ NemPro and see if he wants to take a look at it. He might be able to perform some magic on it and make it somewhat usable. I think the design needs to be redone from scratch and just use what they've done so far as a learning piece.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
they oughta make a version that is 24" specific. get rid of that gap above the tire....

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Is it possible to put a something in the top to soften the top out? I believe the fork is elastomer, right? Is there a place of impact where things hit where another elastomer could be retrofitted. Without seeing the inside of the fork its hard to really provide help.
Good point. Let me take some pics of the internals and see what you guys think. It's a pretty simple setup but a picture will no doubt help.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
they oughta make a version that is 24" specific. get rid of that gap above the tire....
Definitely - it could add to the stiffness too as the fork leg would be shorter. Depending on what I do with this fork - I might have my buddy TIG weld a piece of 4130 tubing across the blades or as I think about it lower the upper stantion, if possible and that would solve the axle to crown length too.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Why does it only use 45mm of travel? Doesn't the 60 in GI60 stand for 60mm of travel?
That's what I measured after using it for a few runs on my backyard setup. I weigh 210lbs and was pumping the hell out of the front to get pop off the ramp so I'm guessing I was using most if not all of it's available travel. I could be measuring it wrong but even at 60mm from the rubber seal - that would put it into the painted section.

tangjunho

Chimp
Apr 27, 2010
Hey everyone,

new to the forum and I came across it looking for information on these AtomLab forks.

I'm really interested in getting one, but sounds like there's some concerns with manufacturing?

What's the deal? Are the 2009 models no good? Should I wait for the 2010 models? What happens to people with the 2009 model?

Thanks in advance,
J

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
i just picked up the pimp fork(the AL one) and so far it is the tits:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4922523/

It feels a lot lighter than the Marzocchis Ive been riding forever and makes skatepark riding fun on a big wheeler- nose manuals really well and makes it ride like a cruiser but with a perfect amount of give. On dirt it makes a little topout noise if you pop off super hard. It might be a harsher fork for lighter riders though, as Im 210 lbs

It is a grease fork so Ill probably have to slath grease on the stanchions once a week... and the aluminum insert wanted to wiggle its way upward for some reason... so I put a set screw in the back of it- good as new.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
the aluminum insert wanted to wiggle its way upward for some reason... so I put a set screw in the back of it- good as new.

Aaaaaaaand spoke too soon. This fork is crap. Steer tube came loose from the lowers and I almost got super broke off. Just got the run around from warranty too...

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
the aluminum insert wanted to wiggle its way upward for some reason... so I put a set screw in the back of it- good as new.

Aaaaaaaand spoke too soon. This fork is crap. Steer tube came loose from the lowers and I almost got super broke off. Just got the run around from warranty too...
Did you get the run around because you altered the fork by putting in the set screw as previously mentioned? Or was it because you mounted it and rode it around which voided the warranty? Either way, sorry to hear that.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Did you get the run around because you altered the fork by putting in the set screw as previously mentioned? Or was it because you mounted it and rode it around which voided the warranty? Either way, sorry to hear that.

Neither of those. I called and told them that it only took a week's riding to break the thing and they told me to send it in and they'd take care of it. I called today and its become a different story, its apparently not a defect thing and they want money for it...

The steer tube on this fork is not one piece machined like every good BMX fork available, but is three pieces: a steerer pressed into a "crown" with an aluminum insert (which didnt keep the steerer from bending alot BTW)