Quantcast

Attn DH riders

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Thanks for posting this. Damn! Why can't this be two hours from the denver/boulder area?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yes, next season that will be a must-do!

Plus on the way back you can stop at the "naked springs" just outside of Ouray!!

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
Does Silverton have to deal with the Forest Service like Keystone does? They are just moving alot faster than Keystone. It takes Keystone all summer to get a couple of bridges approved and Silverton built all kinds of stuff! Anybody know what the deal is??

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
jeff said:
Does Silverton have to deal with the Forest Service like Keystone does? They are just moving alot faster than Keystone. It takes Keystone all summer to get a couple of bridges approved and Silverton built all kinds of stuff! Anybody know what the deal is??
I am pretty sure that Silverton is a privately owned deal. They can do what they want

hev

Chimp
May 18, 2004
somewhere near the apex
From what I understand Silverton is on both private land and BLM land. Aaron Brill has purchased permits to guide skiers on the BLM land he is using in groups of 8 or smaller. The private land is where he has the lodge and some of the cat walks back ot the base. So aaron has to be in good with the community to get the BLM permits and make sure he can atract enough customers to keep the whole business running. The real pain in the ass is the other old and slightly wackky land owner across the adjacent valley. Sections of skiing actually cut through his private land and he is bitter about Aaron's operation and is generally being a pr!ck. He ran the world speed skiing championships on velocity basin in the 70's and had visions of creating his own ski area in the valley, but never could get support (nor was his idea feasable IMO). As far as trail building goes, I think much of the mt bike stuff is on aaron's private land, and the BLM regulations are generally much more slack regarding this kind of stuff.

jeff

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
Longview, Tx
Thanks for the info. That does help explain why they are getting new trails/features all the time. I just wish there wasn't so much red tape with the Forest Service at Keystone!
Or maybe Keystone could start working on laying out new trails and stunts when ski season is over rather than waiting until July to get it approved.

I am just frustrated that Keystone has quadrupled the lift price in the past 3 - 4 years and there really isn't that much new stuff considering the huge price increase. Unfortunatley there is no where else close that has anything better so they really don't have to do anything and will still probably draw a pretty decent crowd. Too bad Silverton isn't 15 minutes away!