Quantcast

Attn sherman owners: ERROR in 03 Owners Manual.

B

bighitfsr

Under Semi bath lubrication maintainance point 2 reads:

With the fork positioned over an oil catcher, remove the 8mm alen bolt ........

Your not supposed to remove the bolt at all.
Your supposed to screw it in further.
Unscrewing the bolt will break it off in the end of the dampers shaft.

This just happened to me servicing the my fireflys for the 1st time.
I live in Australia and bought the fork via US mailorder so I'm probably going to have to pay to get this fixed.

.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

B

bighitfsr

The mechanic at my LBS broke the same part on his Minutes rebulding them for the 1st time.
Its likely the minutes manual is also confusing/misleading/wrong.

My LBS tell me manitou didnt have stock of the spare parts in Australia so he was out of action for at least a couple of weeks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by bighitfsr
Under Semi bath lubrication maintainance point 2 reads:

With the fork positioned over an oil catcher, remove the 8mm alen bolt ........

Your not supposed to remove the bolt at all.
Your supposed to screw it in further.
Unscrewing the bolt will break it off in the end of the dampers shaft.

This just happened to me servicing the my fireflys for the 1st time.
I live in Australia and bought the fork via US mailorder so I'm probably going to have to pay to get this fixed.

.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Uh, dude, the manual tells you what direction to screw the bolt...

Don't get mad at Manitou. It states, and I quote, "loosen (clockwise to loosen) the 8mm hex damper shaft fitting..."

Now, I made this mistake too and was lucky I didn't ruin the fork, but don't get mad at the company for it. They printed the manual correctly.

It IS, however, a good point that all Manitou owners should look out for.

B

bighitfsr

What I've quoted is all is says in my owners guide.
Which manual have you got?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What I've quoted is all is says in my owners guide.
Which manual have you got?
That's in both the one that shipped with my fork, and the one available online. Guess I spoke too soon with my earlier post!

There is another typo in the manual, it gives you the incorrect amount of oil to use in the semi-bath. Manitou announced this on their website, though.

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever use a manual that ships with a product. I always get online and download the latest one - crap like this happens too much.

KL

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Originally posted by binary visions
That's in both the one that shipped with my fork, and the one available online. Guess I spoke too soon with my earlier post!

There is another typo in the manual, it gives you the incorrect amount of oil to use in the semi-bath. Manitou announced this on their website, though.

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever use a manual that ships with a product. I always get online and download the latest one - crap like this happens too much.
Hey binary,

What is the correct amount of semi-bath oil?

Also, I am still confused about which bolt you guys are talking about....

Kevin

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by KL
Hey binary,

What is the correct amount of semi-bath oil?

Also, I am still confused about which bolt you guys are talking about....

Kevin
The correct amount is 16cc of semi-bath oil in each leg. The original manual said, I believe, 30cc in each leg. The newer manuals and the one on their website have both been corrected.

The bolt we're discussing is under the rebound knob. If you remove the rebound knob, there's a recessed 8mm hex shaft. You must turn it clockwise to press the shaft into the leg - it's not supposed to come out. If you try and take it out, you'll get a lot of metal shavings/filings from the fork leg, and probably ruin the rebound damper.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
dude that sucks. if it makes you feel better the newer manuals say to srew it clock wise and they say the the bolt is a part of the damper and that the damper screws in and falls INTO the fork and that the bolt does not come off. i guess you were not alone.

B

bighitfsr

I thought worst case I'd have to replace the shaft.
Hopefully I can just replace the tip.

The shaft looks like its steel and the tip which snapped off is alu.
It looks like the end of the shaft comes appart with a pin spanner.

The internals themselves are pretty fragile.
The shaft on the spring stack side of the fork appears to be alu.
They would be very simple to clean and re-lube if the manual hadnt thrown me.

Only the alloy tip of the dampers shaft has broken.
It didnt take much force as its very thin alloy.

It felt just a little tight so I double checked the instructions in front of me.
Their were no metal shavings just bits of the rubber o-ring.
I wont find out what needs replacement until tomorrow (monday)for certain.

IMO Manitou should make this right (WTY).
I bought the fork brand new only a few months ago they could have dropped a new manual in the box or gotten a an allready counter intuitve point in their manual correct in the first place.
The mechanic at my LBS made the same mistake with his minutes so I'm definitely not on my own with this problem.
He happens to have extensive expience with other manitou forks having owned xvert carbons and dorados.

I'm off to answer products to download the new manual.

Anyone know what parts I need to replace and the approximate cost?

I am bashing Manitous manual here not the fork.
The fork rocks IMO.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...Only the alloy tip of the dampers shaft has broken.
It didnt take much force as its very thin alloy...

...Their were no metal shavings just bits of the rubber o-ring.

...could have dropped a new manual in the box or gotten a an allready counter intuitve point in their manual correct in the first place...
In order:

You're talking about the hex shaft right? I bent mine slightly. I think they really need to make it out of a stronger material as it takes a little force to get it out. It's such a tiny part that the very small weight increase would be worth it.

My o-ring was smashed to pieces too.. They clearly have some problems with their assembly process - everyone who ever says it leaks out of the box replaces that O-ring and everything is fine.

Did you buy it direct from Manitou? Otherwise, it might have been sitting on someone's shelf for months. But I agree, they should have gotten it right.