Quantcast

ATV's on my property...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The cost of a fence makes it impossible. I may try to drag some logs in the way etc, maybe even drop a few trees in the way.

A simple, cheap barbed wire fence and some "NO Trespassing" signs should buy you a lot of legal ground. If they cut the fence, you can get them for prop damage.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, i would say a spool of barbed wire and a bunch of no tp signs ought to do the trick physically and legally. If there's a visible fence, it creates a whole bunch of legal obstacles, including giving you certain rights and protections. A strip or two of wire should be all you need, then nail it to some trees or posts and placard the area with signs. Not sure whether they need to be inside or on the fence...look it up!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I'd be real nervous about using barbed wire. ATV's and "bobwire" don't mix well, it's so hard to see when your moving. We get a beheaded kid every year or two around here.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dress like total white trash and wait on them in the woods. Maybe borrow somebody elses 4 wheeler for the afternoon. Park it off the side of the "trail" and wait for them. Then when you get to meet them, do what you need to do.

Nothing draws flies faster than a hot steaming pile of their own kind.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'd be real nervous about using barbed wire. ATV's and "bobwire" don't mix well, it's so hard to see when your moving. We get a beheaded kid every year or two around here.

Put a big fat red sign right in the middle of the trail attached to the fence. Then a smaller sign detailing the legal implications of fence removal.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
There were cases around here a while back about guys stringing piano wire at about neck height because he had ski-doos crossing his land when he didn't want them to. It was apparently quite effective.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The cost of a fence makes it impossible. I may try to drag some logs in the way etc, maybe even drop a few trees in the way.
When I say fence, literally, a string with ribbons hanging from it should make it clear "keep out".

Depending on how douchey these ATV riders are (and I assume there are horrible a-holes), they might respect the fact this is private property.

I would also set up a motion sensor webcam at the obvious crossing point. Good for the lawyers...

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Good heavens, Stosh, I feel your pain! We had the most obnoxious, redneck, puke neighbors in G'ville... ATVs, dirt bikes, monster tractors and 2 wicked crappy Suburbans they also tooled around the yard. Only occassionally were they on our property, but at least 11 hours/day for 1.5 years they were within 10 feet of the effing line.

I just want to wish you luck with them. We had a miserable time... confronting them did nothing, cops did nothing, etc. If I had it my way, the whole effing property would have been lined w/ land mines. BV told me no, though. He really is no fun. Did I mention I do not miss that sh!t town? Sorry, reading your thread brought back much rage.

Anyway, I'll come up and kick their @sses for you... I know you have a wife and kiddos and probably don't want jail time. I'll take one for the team. :weee:

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
My sister has a friend who can hook you up with a killer deal on explosives. Just kidding haha. There are a ton of quad trails here in the real Orange County.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Good heavens, Stosh, I feel your pain! We had the most obnoxious, redneck, puke neighbors in G'ville... ATVs, dirt bikes, monster tractors and 2 wicked crappy Suburbans they also tooled around the yard. Only occassionally were they on our property, but at least 11 hours/day for 1.5 years they were within 10 feet of the effing line.

I just want to wish you luck with them. We had a miserable time... confronting them did nothing, cops did nothing, etc. If I had it my way, the whole effing property would have been lined w/ land mines. BV told me no, though. He really is no fun. Did I mention I do not miss that sh!t town? Sorry, reading your thread brought back much rage.

Anyway, I'll come up and kick their @sses for you... I know you have a wife and kiddos and probably don't want jail time. I'll take one for the team. :weee:

Wow, that is the most emotional heart felt post I've ever seen from you. THANKFULLY, about 350days of the year they stay on their property which is 10acres away from me. I couldn't imagine if they were that close.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Setup a life-liked kids doll in the woods. Tie it to a rope so that it pops out on the trail when you pull it. Wait until the fourwheeler is almost on top of it and then yank the rope.

After they hit it, come running out of the trees screaming your new made-up kids name. Start shouting how they are going to pay and you're going to have them locked up for a long long time.

When they bail, let them get away. I bet they never come back.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Wow, that is the most emotional heart felt post I've ever seen from you. THANKFULLY, about 350days of the year they stay on their property which is 10acres away from me. I couldn't imagine if they were that close.
Sometimes (albeit very rare) there is wee bit of a heart left in this little body...

Glad it's only a few days a year. If you do start losing your mind, though, the offer still stands... I'm a scrappy lil' b!tch. ;)

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

There are a lot of very effective ways to use barbed wire.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Just found this!

The highest Court of New York *Snip*

I need to put some signs up STAT!!!
Apparently I can destroy the instrument of trespass. AWESOME!
The average time a No ATV sign lasts around here: Hours, not even days. It's mostly b/c the rules here in MA state that any ATVer caught on public or private lands, not knowingly tressspassing, gets a simple verbal warning, and is free to go. An officer can go look for NO Trespass sign, but ususally thy are gone. Hence all the signs that get put up by private land owners, almost always get torn down fast. It's a problem down here that's mostly with land owners that have property that abut utility easements, where the ATV'er tend to ride in these parts...and utility easement also forbid any ATV use as well, mostly on the grounds of liability.
I feel for you...it's a tough thing to deal with. Unfortunately, law enforcement doesn't have the tools, resources or time to chase trespassers on ATV's.

Last edited:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Were these "trails" they are riding on existing before you purchased the property? If so, the first thing that comes to mind is how "we" get pissed every time someone buys a mountain with existing trails then shuts down the access points...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The average time a No ATV sign lasts around here: Hours, not even days. It's mostly b/c the rules here in MA state that any ATVer caught on public or private lands, not knowingly tressspassing, gets a simple verbal warning, and is free to go. An officer can go look for NO Trespass sign, but ususally thy are gone. Hence all the signs that get put up by private land owners, almost always get torn down fast. It's a problem down here that's mostly with land owners that have property that abut utility easements, where the ATV'er tend to ride in these parts...and utility easement also forbid any ATV use as well, mostly on the grounds of liability.
I feel for you...it's a tough thing to deal with. Unfortunately, law enforcement doesn't have the tools, resources or time to chase trespassers on ATV's.
the trick is in how you plant the sign. don't make it easy to remove.

Make a wood sign, stake it in the ground. let it get removed. do this once or twice, then switch to a metal pipe instead of a wood stake. Repeat again once or twice. But then the next time, use a really LONG section of pipe. dig down, pour cement. Fill the metal pipe with cement too. Bury cement and make it look like it did before.

When I lived with my folks, we did something similar with our mailbox. We were having issues with someone smashing it and running it over with a car. Lets just say that 10 buried feet of cement based and filled 5" steel pipe will generally come out on top of a cars front end :rofl:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Get a hooker with herpes.
Leave her on the side of the trail spread eagle.

They might come back again, but you've given them a gift that lasts forever.
Or hepatitis. That'd rock.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I predict that anything beyond actually going over to their place and talking will result in Mrs Stosh & Co watching helplessly as you star in _Deliverance, Yankee style_.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I predict that anything beyond actually going over to their place and talking will result in Mrs Stosh & Co watching helplessly as you star in _Deliverance, Yankee style_.
If they're capable of going all Deliverance an him do you really think talking will help? Anyway, he's already tried talking, it's time for a different approach. Signs and a fence are the way to go.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
3/8" cable strung across tight 2 feet off the ground with a no trespass sign.
Constructive fence... I like it.
Marks out your property line, let's them know the boundary...

Put some orange flags on it and you're in business.
and hang some "No Trespassing" signs on it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I would try this:

Try varying the bait to increase effectiveness. Dale Jr. diecast is shown for example only.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I know atv riders are bad people and all, but can you explain why 5 days a year of minor nuisance is cause for maiming?

We have all poached trails. I try to do it respectfully and discreetly but maybe they just need a little education on that front. If erosion on the streambank is your beef, maybe post a note asking them not to spin their tires up the side.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I know atv riders are bad people and all, but can you explain why 5 days a year of minor nuisance is cause for maiming?

We have all poached trails. I try to do it respectfully and discreetly but maybe they just need a little education on that front. If erosion on the streambank is your beef, maybe post a note asking them not to spin their tires up the side.
Ooooohhhh. Compromise. I like it. ATV riders have power tools. He needs a bridge. Pirates love bridges. Have them build you a bridge so they can cross your property peacefully. Then take your war machine across the bridge to slaughter the whole battalion of ATV minions. (this random post of awkward midevial violence is brought to you as a tribute to mandown's warped sense of humor).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

Honestly if it was a different time and people didn't love suing I wouldn't mind so much. The problem is these guys ride around after drinking without helmets or shirts on.

Poaching a trail is one thing, poaching a trail after being told not to is something totally different, poaching a trail with a motorized vehicle drunk with no protective gear on property you've been told to get off of is something WAY different!!