Quantcast

ATV's on my property...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know atv riders are bad people and all, but can you explain why 5 days a year of minor nuisance is cause for maiming?

We have all poached trails. I try to do it respectfully and discreetly but maybe they just need a little education on that front. If erosion on the streambank is your beef, maybe post a note asking them not to spin their tires up the side.
First of all, stosh has talked to these guys several times. The FIRST conversation should be warning enough.

I don't poach on private property. There was a similar connector trail in Baton Rouge that changed ownership. The new owners told all the riders to beat it, and I've haven ridden that trail since.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know atv riders are bad people and all, but can you explain why 5 days a year of minor nuisance is cause for maiming?

We have all poached trails. I try to do it respectfully and discreetly but maybe they just need a little education on that front. If erosion on the streambank is your beef, maybe post a note asking them not to spin their tires up the side.
i take it you are not a property owner?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I don't have much advice Stosh other than what's already been given... get a fence, signs, and all that.

But I do want to take a moment to applaud those of you who thought to employ medieval solutions to what is undoubtedly not a 21st century problem. Moats are fantastic for your house or castle but are impracticle for surrounding the land. Violence, swift and brutal, is likely the most efficient solution. Having them build your bridge first is brilliant management. :thumb: Sending their heads back via catapault... well that's just plain fun. :p

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

Chase them with this. They're sure to take the idea of a possible fisting as a serious reason to never, ever come back on your property. Get a whole line of them and put them up as a fence.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
ROFL, I heard the riders in the woods again early this Saturday. So I went back and the dude is sitting on his quad on my property smoking a cigarette. I proceeded to yell at him and tell him he needed to get off my property. His response was "we can ride here, we can ride where ever we want, we've been riding here for years.......blah blah blah...." he went on and on.

So I called the cops! Unfortunately they are so well known in the area for being scumbags even the dispatcher knew their name and house.

Probably stirred up a bees nest but I'm going to go and fall a couple large trees on their trails to limit access. I'm really toying with the idea of spike strips.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ROFL, I heard the riders in the woods again early this Saturday. So I went back and the dude is sitting on his quad on my property smoking a cigarette. I proceeded to yell at him and tell him he needed to get off my property. His response was "we can ride here, we can ride where ever we want, we've been riding here for years.......blah blah blah...." he went on and on.

So I called the cops! Unfortunately they are so well known in the area for being scumbags even the dispatcher knew their name and house.

Probably stirred up a bees nest but I'm going to go and fall a couple large trees on their trails to limit access. I'm really toying with the idea of spike strips.
Yelling is more effective if you are holding one of these:

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Ah, the memories. BV called the cops on our douches one day, and they proceeded to drive this snot green, POS car with no muffler out of the garage and rev it continuously. How no other neighbor in the subdivision complained about THAT was beyond me.

Funny, this car was probably worth about 57 cents, but the dude wouldn't take it out of the garage unless it was sunny and 80 with 0% chance of rain. The saddest part of it all... dumb@sses like this are breeding!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Luckily this house is far enough away that if they did do that it wouldn't be real loud. In the summer I can hear their music though but it's not too loud.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was serious about the rock salt loads in the shotgun. You are allowed to use it as a tool to remove/discourage trespassers on posted private property here in New York State. CSX the train company has been using it quite effectively to discourage theft on train cars loaded with automobiles in the Buffalo area. The tresspassers have no legal recourse injured or not. Apparently the Onus is on the tresspasser not the tresspassee according to my Uncle.

I am sure if you show up in the woods with a loaded Deer Slayer. There will not be much discussion as to who is right or wrong.......

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I was serious about the rock salt loads in the shotgun. You are allowed to use it as a tool to remove/discourage trespassers on posted private property here in New York State. CSX the train company has been using it quite effectively to discourage theft on train cars loaded with automobiles in the Buffalo area. The tresspassers have no legal recourse injured or not. Apparently the Onus is on the tresspasser not the tresspassee according to my Uncle.

I am sure if you show up in the woods with a loaded Deer Slayer. There will not be much discussion as to who is right or wrong.......

Thats actually going to cost me money considering I don't own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate A gun rack.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thats actually going to cost me money considering I don't own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate A gun rack.
A Mossberg Maverick M88 is $225 at Walmart. A box of shells is $12. A gun lock is $15 The protection of your property and family is Priceless IMO...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
A Mossberg Maverick M88 is $225 at Walmart. A box of shells is $12. A gun lock is $15 The protection of your property and family is Priceless IMO...
Maybe I'll just borrow my neighbors, he has like several guns he shoots out of his back window.

(Did you miss my Waynes World reference??)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So let me get this straight. You get a shot gun and get shells loaded with salt and shoot at the guys riding atv's?

Is this in a redneck region of NY?

Actually you shoot it at people trespassing on your property after being told to leave over 4 times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So let me get this straight. You get a shot gun and get shells loaded with salt and shoot at the guys riding atv's?

Is this in a redneck region of NY?
That's a fairly common home protection method. It's non-lethal - but you will DEFINITELY get your point across. I have an uncle who is a cop in a major metro area of South Florida. He has several shotguns loaded in this manner in his home.

If you really wanna be a bastard, mix some shards of clear broken glass in with the rock salt. They show up on the x-rays... but are REALLY difficult to see to the eye of a surgeon.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am sure some spike strips will for you. Unless these guys are on nice quads they probably have crappy tires that will flat really easy.

Knuckleslamm, the salt guns are used in the ghetto where the rail yards are. Think white trash without the white.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What I'm getting at is this. Rednecks if that's what they are, could be carrying real guns. I'd opt for something less confronting, like roofing nails.
actually a good point.

On a positive note I did see a truck at the house removing 2 of the 3 quads.

Riverbend78

Chimp
Feb 22, 2017
What solution did you comE to? I'm in SC also, on 7 acres and MY scumbag neighbor's love to drive across everyone's fields, ripping them up and making me want to sniper their asses every time they come up. They've cut down on crossing our field (they have 40 acres of their own but must ruin everyone else's) but are still cutting through sometimes. I've posted but I'm going to set up a spike strip once the ground is thawed a bit.
My stupid scumbag neighbors keeps riding their ATV's on my property. I've told them numerous times to get off but they keep coming back on.

Grrrrrrrrrr of course I'm going to put signs up but has anybody called the cops on trespassers before? Worth my time and aggravation?[/

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the trick is in how you plant the sign. don't make it easy to remove.

Make a wood sign, stake it in the ground. let it get removed. do this once or twice, then switch to a metal pipe instead of a wood stake. Repeat again once or twice. But then the next time, use a really LONG section of pipe. dig down, pour cement. Fill the metal pipe with cement too. Bury cement and make it look like it did before.

When I lived with my folks, we did something similar with our mailbox. We were having issues with someone smashing it and running it over with a car. Lets just say that 10 buried feet of cement based and filled 5" steel pipe will generally come out on top of a cars front end :rofl:
Using a game camera is mandatory.