Quantcast

Audi / EuroMonkeys: Thoughts on an Audi A3 Kombi as a bike hauler?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the audi "sport"backs are only marginally less ugly than the bimmer ones and the honda crosstwerk
That would be the BMW "GT". That thing is hideous. I think the GC looks like how the 3 series should look. Undecided on the A5 sportback, doesn't look too tempting in pictures I've seen to date, but would hold off till I've seen it in person. Most audis look quite bland, even the S models these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
That would be the BMW "GT". That thing is hideous. I think the GC looks like how the 3 series should look. Undecided on the A5 sportback, doesn't look too tempting in pictures I've seen to date, but would hold off till I've seen it in person. Most audis look quite bland, even the S models these days.
yes. i meant that gt crap. but eff the designers who ok'd them slapping this shit on the rear pillars too:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is quite hideous. Butch front end and tapered back with random creases 'n shit. :nononocat:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I can tell you this it looks even worse in real life. Also you Americans don't get the stripped down Audi and BMW models where the hideous really shines through. Even the pretty A7 you can get in a version that don't even have the pop up spoiler and you average Camry looks better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can tell you this it looks even worse in real life. Also you Americans don't get the stripped down Audi and BMW models where the hideous really shines through. Even the pretty A7 you can get in a version that don't even have the pop up spoiler and you average Camry looks better.
I know with the BMWs the "lowest" we get with the 4 is a 428, but in Europe, they make a 416, a 418, 420 and so on, all with lesser engines. Supposedly the 340/440 are extremely rare due to the taxes/gas.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know with the BMWs the "lowest" we get with the 4 is a 428, but in Europe, they make a 416, a 418, 420 and so on, all with lesser engines. Supposedly the 340/440 are extremely rare due to the taxes/gas.
Its not only the lower engines they make totally stripped down cars inside out and out with next to nothing equipment in them standard.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Its not only the lower engines they make totally stripped down cars inside out and out with next to nothing equipment in them standard.
We'll they do that here too, no freaking alarm and everything is ala cart for the most part, but I can understand that they can strip even more out.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
We'll they do that here too, no freaking alarm and everything is ala cart for the most part, but I can understand that they can strip even more out.
While i was in Germany, I spec'd out a Porsche 718 Cayman and that whole process is basically a'la cart and the price racks up very quickly. :twitch:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A la carte, I believe. Vinyl interiors and 2 speaker stereos ftw, eh?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
While i was in Germany, I spec'd out a Porsche 718 Cayman and that whole process is basically a'la cart and the price racks up very quickly. :twitch:
Take the base price of a porsche, multiply by 1.5, that's how much they really cost.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've been wanting a 911 GTS for years, but after consulting with my financial advisor :rolleyes: I've started to look at the 718. This GT4 was at my local brewery a few weeks ago. So hawt...
20170716_194649.jpg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Versus new? Tons.

Cars are fun.
Just pulling your leg.

Convertibles aren't my thing but I could see a Cayman being a blast if I didn't live somewhere where I was always stuck behind someone doing at least 10mph under the speed limit.

I am pretty sure that about 30% of drivers in Washington are either way too old to still be driving or stoned out of their gourds.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just pulling your leg.

Convertibles aren't my thing but I could see a Cayman being a blast if I didn't live somewhere where I was always stuck behind someone doing at least 10mph under the speed limit.

I am pretty sure that about 30% of drivers in Washington are either way too old to still be driving or stoned out of their gourds.
I plan to buy one to pose in the grocery store parking lot. :nerd:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Someone in the garage at work daily drives a current gen 911 GT3. Centerlock wheels and all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll bet that's a SWEET car to sit in traffic in... :D
I used to like fun to drive cars. There is no fun to be had on a road in this town. My next car will be something with the quietest interior. The very round gravel they used in the roads around here turns every driven surface into cobblestones. The resulting tire noise is deafening. I don't bother looking for car when crossing the street, I just listen for them.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I used to like fun to drive cars. There is no fun to be had on a road in this town. My next car will be something with the quietest interior. The very round gravel they used in the roads around here turns every driven surface into cobblestones. The resulting tire noise is deafening. I don't bother looking for car when crossing the street, I just listen for them.

But yes, the pavement in your area is terrible.

The Mercedes C63 AMG has a very quiet interior. It's like a vault. You should get one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just wish I still had the camaro SS (with the upgraded sways and a few other suspension bits). That thing was serious fun, handled way way better than my BMW and of course had the power and trans to back it up. Everyone one at work thinks my BMW must have some sort of secret sauce in it that makes it way better than other cars. There are some nice things, but it's not a sports car and even with the suspension work I've done it's just ok. Thinking about dumping the BMW and getting a cheap truck and then a SS 1LE...not any time super soon, but it wouldn't cost me much money effectively.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

The Mercedes C63 AMG has a very quiet interior. It's like a vault. You should get one.
Plus 1 on Mercedes. My brother in law has an old ML 350 d suv and it is by far the quietest car I've ever been in. Other problems to be had, though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Plus 1 on Mercedes. My brother in law has an old ML 350 d suv and it is by far the quietest car I've ever been in. Other problems to be had, though.
Someone had one of those at the shop the other day and they discovered a split catalytic converter. Old ass SUV, but it cost around 2 grand.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Someone had one of those at the shop the other day and they discovered a splitair catalytic converter. Old ass SUV, but it cost around 2 grand.
Yeah, my brother in law has the second gen one. The air suspension shits the bed on pretty much every car. Pretty much every repair costs a fortune on these cars. Nonetheless they are comfy af.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

I have just bought a C63.

Few cars (short of the RS Porsches) have the brutish quality of it.
Heavy steering, harsh suspension (even in Comfort mode); but god when you floor it....... my 3 year old son loves it.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
worth it for mountain driving.
My gf has a VW Golf VI 2.0 TDI 4motion. They only came with sports chassis.
That car is sooo much fun driving switchbacks or on snow, it's unreal. It drives like a fvcking go kart with 4-wheel steering. And it absolutely murders on snow. I remember one time going to my parents in the evening to be in the ski resort the next day as it snowed heavily. Started snowing at around 800 meters above sea level and my parents farm is at around 1450m. Steepest parts of the street have a pitch of 15%. There was like 15cm of pow on the streets and almost no other cars. The few cars we passed had to have snowchains on. We were just on winter tires. You could basically drive the car like it was a dry street.
Probably the most fun I have ever had in a car.

Could it have more horsepower? Yes, but the 150hp is the best compromise between mileage per liter, power, weight and reliability.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My gf has a VW Golf VI 2.0 TDI 4motion. They only came with sports chassis.
That car is sooo much fun driving switchbacks or on snow, it's unreal. It drives like a fvcking go kart with 4-wheel steering. And it absolutely murders on snow. I remember one time going to my parents in the evening to be in the ski resort the next day as it snowed heavily. Started snowing at around 800 meters above sea level and my parents farm is at around 1450m. Steepest parts of the street have a pitch of 15%. There was like 15cm of pow on the streets and almost no other cars. The few cars we passed had to have snowchains on. We were just on winter tires. You could basically drive the car like it was a dry street.
Probably the most fun I have ever had in a car.

Could it have more horsepower? Yes, but the 150hp is the best compromise between mileage per liter, power, weight and reliability.
a reason for moving to europe....

my younger brother drove both his fj 80 land cruisers with the same abandon in the snow when he used to ski.