Quantcast

Austin and 9th Street jumps

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Hey Austin guys,

We Houston bikers are trying to put together a trail management plan for the Anthills trails on the west side. There's a decent amount of space in one area, so people have suggested building some dirt jumps. We're trying to find out how Austin manages the 9th street jumps and Park.

Questions
1. How was the city convinced to allow the 9th street jumps?
2. How are they managed (who takes care of them)?
3. What kind of insurance/liability issues are there?

Thanks, any info will be helpful. Hopefully Harris County Parks Department will agree to the plan.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
1. How was the city convinced to allow the 9th street jumps?
Dont have a clue, they were ther before my time

2. How are they managed (who takes care of them)?
Mainly the BMX'ers

3. What kind of insurance/liability issues are there?
None, there are signs all over the place that say the city of Austin is not liable.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Maybe email Joe Rich; he seems like a laid back dude and he might know a bit about the history of the trails. I think the main thing is the possible legal reprecussions of having a trail like that on park property. There's likely an insane amount of red tape and hoops to jump through to get something like that allowed or sanctioned.

People get hurt all the time at 9th but I never hear about lawsuits and such for some reason. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it well. Good luck!

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Joe Rich? I don't know him, who is he?
Also do you have an email addy for him?

Thanks Toonces.

Do you think the Bikemojo folks would have any more info?
I'm trying to get as much info upfront before I try talking to Austin Parks Dept.

We had the Harris County Environmental Crimes Unit bust up our last trail work party. We need to go legit. They came down with K-9 and video cameras to be sure we didn't try anything, I guess. But if I encountered 25 guys with machetes and shovels in the woods I would have cried like a little girl.

toonces

Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
nowhere
Hrmm. You might try this: info@TerribleOne.com. Joe Rich is cofounder/owner of TerribleOne. Him and Taj Mahelich. If they don't know, then they prolly know who will know since they're 9th locals.

I dunno if the MoJos will have more info. But you're free to register and go to the Austin BMX forum. They're cool. Except a certain sheep-herding sack of fur.

Environmental Crimes Unit? Sheesh. When did Houston ever start caring about the environment?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
land was donated...if i remember correctly, under the guidelines that it would never be developed.

Joe Rich is on that Tour Around the World isn't he? Taj will probably know, though. i'll dig in some of my e-mails, i think someone from Trend sent something that describe the early days of 9th St.

-edit-

hmmm...according to Trend, the diggers are getting pissed at the non-diggers, aka moochers. went so far as to take a couple jumps down. that sucks...guess i should go more than once a semester.

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
Thanks for the help guys, we're just in the early stages of putting together our Trail Management Proposal. I'll be sure to let you know if we get to build a jump park.