Quantcast

auto-resizing of pictures?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Is it just me, or is the new platform auto-resizing pictures?
If so, can we have it, um ... NOT do that anymore?

If not, then there must be something wrong with me. Alert the paramedics stat.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
It makes all of the photos consistent and overrides people who don't know how to size a photo. Click on it if you want to see it bigger.

:headbang:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The developer and I had a discussion about this.

After he explained his view, I agreed. It keeps the layout consistent (which is good), which allows for a cleaner ad display (which means they're not as intrusive to you guys).

I wish there were a better way to do this, but the reality is that people can't size photos properly and the clean lines help keep our layouts the way they're intended to be displayed.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thanks.

I tried clicking on pics which appeared resized, and which I could 'hover' over, but nothing happened.

BV: whenever I post pics I resize and link from photobucket etc. What is the appropriate size (in pixels) for us to use before the auto-size kicks in?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, that's really the point of the auto-size. Post the pictures in the size you want to post them. People can view them full-size by clicking.

I usually do 1024 pixels wide for larger images (nicer photos), or 800 pixels wide for other shots. They'll get resized for thread viewing, but anyone can see the full size by clicking.

What browser are you using?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I get the 'why' but having to click each pic kind of takes away from viewing the post. Clicking to view works using Chrome, but does not work for me using IE.

Another forum I frequent has an auto resize feature but if you click pic it will expand in the same frame. Sure, it bumps the formatting, but it makes for a better user experience IMO.

As far as people not knowing how to size photos properly, I'd prefer seeing pics in their intended size whenever those who DO know post up reasonable sized files.

Thanks.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
testing...

Ok, clicking on the photo works for me for Chrome. On a personal note, I'm really annoyed that I couldn't post my 3888 x 2592 photo of a yummy Old Fashioned House Burger to completely screw with people's tiny computer screens. :D

Last edited:

Bikezilla

Chimp
Dec 4, 2006
I have IE and clicking does not produce the full sized picture.
Anyone have a solution besides installing another browser???

It works in Safari though. Still I use IE more often.

I should also point out it seems silly for the browser to load the full size picture then resize it to the mini-size every time you go to the thread. It takes just as long as sticking with the full size. It should only load the reduced image no?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On a sort of related note, might it make sense to make the box that all the posts get stuck in a bit wider? I'm on a laptop with not particularly insane resolution and probably 30% of my screen is the gray side bits. I understand why you're making it narrow, but at the same time, are people really still using such low res monitors that things need to get shrunk down this much?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On a sort of related note, might it make sense to make the box that all the posts get stuck in a bit wider? I'm on a laptop with not particularly insane resolution and probably 30% of my screen is the gray side bits. I understand why you're making it narrow, but at the same time, are people really still using such low res monitors that things need to get shrunk down this much?
You are what's referred to as a "statistical outlier" ;)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I like Safari, but Firefox works and opens the image in a new window and lets you zoom.

Edit: Safari lets you zoom as well, but FF has some GUI goodness.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Any news on this?
It is bad enough that it makes the pictures small and blurry with no way to make them bigger, but somebody just posted up race results, and once it is resized, you cannot even read them at all.
I am using IE and clicking on the pics does nothing.
I am all for preventing those giant pictures, but there has to be a better way.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm talking to the developer about this now. There's more than one thing broken about the in-line resize.

In RE: the resolution, we have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Many laptops and monitors use 1024x768 (which, I might remind you, is not wide screen so it exacerbates the problem). I have a high resolution monitor, too, but it's not the norm and making those small monitors impractical to use is worse than wasted space on big monitors. My solution? I don't browse full-screen. I've got lots of real-estate to have IM windows, MP3 player, other browser windows, etc. all pulled up and no wasted screen space.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
this is one of the most annoying features ever....lots of people still use IE regularly
Ack - yes this is no good. We'll get it working in IE right away, and I'm ultra sorry for it taking us this long.

Philosophically do you like the idea of restricted image size if you can view full image?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Ack - yes this is no good. We'll get it working in IE right away, and I'm ultra sorry for it taking us this long.

Philosophically do you like the idea of restricted image size if you can view full image?
Thanks.

Yes. Restricted image sizes do make viewing pages nice and consistant. I think the ideal option is to have the full size image maximize over the page when clicked (not open in another tab or window) and minimize when clicked again or if another image is selected. I've seen this on other sites.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

yeah, I'd be fine with it if it worked the way it apparently does in other browsers

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A consistent thread view is awesome and simply clicking an image to enlarge is not a problem and only a feature! Fuk IE, there are several great browsers out there to use.

admin

Chimp
Jun 28, 2001
NULL
This issue has now been resolved permanently. Sorry everyone for taking so long to get to it, we've been really busy here.

If you see any bugs, please let us know.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, it's being worked on. There have been two different iterations of the resizing - first, we had server-side resizing (i.e. it was resized before being displayed to the user). That was nice, but the software couldn't handle the load and we were getting crashes.

The second iteration is a javascript that resizes the image after downloading it. That kinda sucks because it wrecks the page layout while the image downloads, then it changes it afterwards.

So we're investigating alternatives. Bear with us :monkey: