Quantcast

Avalanche Monarch Upgrade

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You can get exactly the feel you want from an OEM shock? Seems like a longshot.
My OEM was a monarch.
The x2 that replaced it is the better than any rear shock I've owned, including my avy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Better does not = exactly what you want

And this claim is made every time anyone comes out with a new shock.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Pretty much all monarchs need a rebuild from new, no getting around that. They generally ride really nice after that tho

But 285-290, 2-3 bands, 4-5 clicks rebound and a smooth top bushing and that bike will really come alive for you
Haha, ok maybe I'll send it off. Have to see if I can make any part of NEMBAfest this weekend. I've heard a lot of people rave about the needle bearing kit, but I've been standoffish due to the problems people have had with other kits. Sounds like there's a ton of rotation with the following though.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Is it normal for new Monarchs to be sharting out oil and grease from the air can seals? No noticeable loss of pressure though, just volcanic diarrhea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well damn, I beat it today at the DH park and it did pretty damn good. No bottoming, which I was afraid of. Somehow Craig has gotten it to run 28-30% sag and absorb hits without feeling like a jackhammer (before I had to run like 35% and the lowest compression setting) and it doesn't bottom off of drops and jumps with only 2 bands (2 bands on the positive side, one on the negative side). Just for comparison's sake, when it was stock, with 2 bands was blowing through travel like crazy, I immediately put two or three more in there to make it stop blowing through travel, but that's when I had to run 35% sag to get the action back. Nice and stable in the bumps and chunk with the tune. I tried my Fox RC4 for a few runs, but it was just too bouncy, kicks the rear end up (avalanche front too) and can't run anywhere near the amount of low-speed rebound of the monarch+. Pretty good shock. Pretty damn happy on it, I'm really glad I didn't have to add any air to it to make it stiffer than my normal ride, just to ride at the bike park. In the past I've had to do this.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You think the RC4 is too bouncy from LSC or LSR? Both? Always thought that thicker oil in those would be interesting to try.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You think the RC4 is too bouncy from LSC or LSR? Both? Always thought that thicker oil in those would be interesting to try.
Definitely both. I can't run more than maybe 3-4 clicks of LSC before it gets harsh (HSC has to be all the way backed off, or again, harsh). Rebound can go to maybe 7-8 or so before getting harsh, but it's still fairly light. I'm sure a tune would make it rock and it did absorb some impacts decently, just not constant or nearly as stable. I'm thinking of sending the RC4 in for a tune too, to have a dedicated DH shock. Someone needs to buy my DVO diamond.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Weird. By default I set all the clickers at 6 out from full closed on that shock with 160psi and it usually rocks regardless of what bike it's on.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@Sandwich's new "Staff Member" banner looks pretty cool. I think everyone should PM him annoying questions like "how do I log in" while logged in, make him work for his title.

I like the spring curve of my shock but I would like more low speed compression in open and more in trail mode. Or less in trail mode and less in full lock.
Doesn't sound like you have many options here, so while the Monarch isn't my #1 choice in rear shocks, if budget allows you may as well give the Avalanche thing a go.

The success/failure of these things is always in the valving itself, no amount of marketing waffle (a long page of it in this case) does much to relay how the thing is valved. In my experience with Avalanche stuff it's always well on the softer side, and it's pretty easy to make something feel awesome when it has as much support as a hammock - so make sure you tick the "I'm not a squid" and "yeah, forrealz" options on ordering.

Also I think the way you use the term LSC is confusing, maybe replacing that with "compression support" would make more sense. Useful compression damping tends to come not at low shaft speeds but slightly higher ones, and allows avoiding that sticky / harsh feeling while still having enough support when needed. I know what you mean though, unfortunately reading their wall of text probably tells me no more than it told you.

You can get exactly the feel you want from an OEM shock? Seems like a longshot.
It's not 1999 anymore, there's some pretty dialed OEM shocks out there and many I'd prefer over products from smaller outfits.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Another ride and I'm going to pull one band and try again. I'm getting closer, but it's still not teh awesomes.

You're right, enjoy your monarch.
Also like to hear more from dan-o as you get time on the X2 shock. If it made YOUR bike rideable, it could be worth checking out!!!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Another ride and I'm going to pull one band and try again. I'm getting closer, but it's still not teh awesomes.

Also like to hear more from dan-o as you get time on the X2 shock. If it made YOUR bike rideable, it could be worth checking out!!!
I'm coming up on a year on the float x2 Nick.
I hated my nomad until I switched to this shock.
There's enough adjustment range that you can seemingly work miracles.
Feels great at the park and on all day xc epics.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Sandwich's new "Staff Member" banner looks pretty cool. I think everyone should PM him annoying questions like "how do I log in" while logged in, make him work for his title.
do that and I'm going to give you the banner as well, without the mod rights, and suggest everybody PM you for answers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
. In my experience with Avalanche stuff it's always well on the softer side, and it's pretty easy to make something feel awesome when it has as much support as a hammock
Not my experience at all and I'd advise against doing this. I think back in the day they maybe added some "fudge factor" IMO to account for packs and gear , making them a bit over-damped, and these days they are a little closer. My Pike charger was on the softer side, but everything else from years ago to my new Lyrik and Monarch+ have not been "underdamped" by the least. Far more support than OEM. Little g-outs, riding off the backside of square-edged bumps, this thing has so much support. People are used to running stuff as you describe Udi, like Fox, OEM RS, etc, because on that stuff you usually have to go to the "descend" setting to get decent high speed bump absorption, and then you have to deal with the ultra-divey chassis with no freaking stability. It's absolutely horrible that they think "descend" means no freaking compression damping (and that these things become jackhammers when you add some). I do specify though when I order that I want the chassis stability.

It's not 1999 anymore, there's some pretty dialed OEM shocks out there and many I'd prefer over products from smaller outfits.
I'll let you know if I ever find one. :) So far, I haven't found any of these shocks on bikes.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The Avy carts I tried a while back were goddamn pogo sticks. Rebound had to be closed or maybe 2 clicks out to be "normal".

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'll let you know if I ever find one. :) So far, I haven't found any of these shocks on bikes.
If you're a massive punter then you'd probably be disappointed with actually having damping... but otherwise, see Hacktastic's post above. I found that to be the case on the Avy 40 damper, various carts for forks (eg. Boxxer), their complete shocks, you name it.

Not bad products by any means - but I stand by my original statement - it's easy to make something feel smooth when it has as much support as a hammock.

PS - at no point did I suggest buying anything that has a "descend" mode.
That's what I call a "first mistake".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you're a massive punter then you'd probably be disappointed with actually having damping... but otherwise, see Hacktastic's post above. I found that to be the case on the Avy 40 damper, various carts for forks (eg. Boxxer), their complete shocks, you name it.
Well, like I said, 5/6 not in any way under-damped, so I'd advise against your suggestion to "tick the 'I'm not a squid' and 'yeah, forrealz'" for someone that orders these. I'd recommend being honest.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, towards the end of my WA trip I thought I was getting close with the Avy RC4 settings or had it set. Double Diamond/Double Down was a delight. Earlier in the WA trip, I wasn't sure it was any better than my Monarch, either due to break in or not getting the right settings yet. I rode Tiger with the Monarch and then switched out the RC4 to ride Duthie and everything else (like you actually need a coil at duthie...but I figured what the hell). I tried to systematically tune it on the rides I did there though. Rode today on an epic 30 miler at home including super chunky rock-steps at speed, muddy chutes, massive roots, etc., and damn, this thing is dialed. The whole ride in fact. Just able to rip down the gnarly stuff at speed and in total control. Also able to ride uphill over sharp pointy rocks as if they are not there. Man I love good suspension.