Quantcast

Avalanche Pike and Monarch Debonair

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Anyone have Craig do work to their Pike or Debonair? Being a bigger guy I'm thinking of sending them to him to tune for my new bike (Spartan). I'm just wondering if all my wants can be met. He did awesome work in the past on my DH bikes Fox rear shocks. But I didn't know that he worked on RS too. Is his fork damper better than the Charger?

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
I had Sprung (Avalanche's UK service centre) do the Monarch Plus RC3 on my Suppressor. I'm no expert on this stuff, but it feels a lot better to me. More supple on the small stuff, without blowing straight through its travel on the bigger hits. It made the compression lever a lot more subtle though - it gives three pretty usable compression settings, rather than "blow through the travel", "kinda works" and "lump of wood". If you liked the near-lockout setting, this might not be for you.

(I've got no experience with the fork damper.)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I had his cartridge in my Lyrik. Amazing control without blowing through travel. Call him and be honest with what you want. He will do you right. I kept wanting to buy a coil shock from him, but he said a modified air shock would be better performance on my bike. Thats rare that vendor will steer a customer away from a higher priced option.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Craig revalved a basic/stock Float CTD evo shock for me.

really stoked on it. delivered exactly what was asked for.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a front lyrik avy cart and the rear shocks on the bike rotate between an avy tuned monarch+ and avy tuned RC4. The bike is like a freaking battle axe in it's ability to level terrain. Only 160mm of travel, but so much confidence and control on the DH stuff.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a push tuned fox fork I bought on a complete used bike and it's good, but the Avy cart in my other bike works on black magic. It's scary the control it has in really rough terrain. It feels way over damped until you actually use it. Magic.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I had an older Fox 36 RC2 coil with Avy damper and it blew me away at higher speeds. It didn't feel all that different from the stock damper at slower speeds. Both were super active. Fast forward to today, I have a Fox 36 float RC2 on my 29er with Ohlins piston and full Push valving; it's pretty good but I somehow feel like the Avy cartridge was still smoother are higher speeds. Don't know if that helps you, but at least maintenance will be easier if you just swap out the internals completely.