Quantcast

avid flak jacket length question

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Has anyone ever ordered the flak jacket cables from avid? is one package enough to run full cable housing front to rear? Id like to use them for my avid disc breaks.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by diesel
Has anyone ever ordered the flak jacket cables from avid? is one package enough to run full cable housing front to rear? Id like to use them for my avid disc breaks.
Not on a XL Chameleon, what frame and size are you running this on?

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
well id like to run them on my balfa minuteman. I need 1300mm to run front to rear 940 for the front. Why wouldnt they make the flak long enough...that makes no sense. do you have any idea what alternatives there are for quality compressionless housing?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
well id like to run them on my balfa minuteman. I need 1300mm to run front to rear 940 for the front. Why wouldnt they make the flak long enough...that makes no sense. do you have any idea what alternatives there are for quality compressionless housing?
I think Jagwire makes some stainless stuff. Of course, I was using the OEM Flak Jackets they were selling at Jensonusa a while back. Could be the aftermarket are a bit longer.

Yeah I was thinking the same: if they suggest full housing, make it long enough!

The Chameleon uses an underside brake hanger, so with the HMX I have on there, the cable had this big deraileur style loop at the back. That made the cable VERY long. The inner wire barely made it to the caliper. So I use Odessy Slic cables. They make them for BMX bikes, which usually run full housing anyway. About 60" total of teflon lined housing and a wire and ferrules in a package. Very nice for $3.99! I also resorted to a Problem Solvers Travel Agent for the rear brake, and it ROCKS! Tons 'o power.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
do you have any idea what alternatives there are for quality compressionless housing?
Yeah, Nokon and IRD make some neat cables and housing. I got an email from a guy in Germany who has been using a set of Nokon (www.nokon.de) cables/housing for about two years without having to change anything more than a cable every year (just because). From what I gather, there is NO compression whatsoever in the housing. The system is also fully sealed, so no water/dirt/mud can get it and screw with it. I can forward the email to you if you want, let me know.

reflux

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
wow yea that looks pretty sweet. i cant tell from the website, are the gear and break housing the same interchangeable? Which set would i need to order. It is weird because on thier order page they have the break set listed but in the description it describes the gear set....im very confused...still the product looks damn nice.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I just installed Flak Jackets on my XC bike a few days ago, although it was with rim brakes... thinking about it here from work, I don't think there was enough left-over housing to work for discs.

Avid makes the Full Metal Jacket system for disc brakes.

Also, contrary to Avid's ad-lit, the housing DOES compress over time. Quite a bit, actually... the old housing that came off the bike compressed about a 1/2"... I'll try to post some pics when I get home.