Quantcast

Avid Hydraulic disks?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Squeak
Anyone have info on these new brakes? I saw an ad for them on the back of Dirt Rag.
Nope but I'll be getting my first pair of disc brakes on my Hollowpoint. I can't wait.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
there was an article on HCOR a few weeks ago, I don't remember a whole lot about it other than they're called "Juicy" and (remarkably) they have a manual pad adjustment like the Mech's, despite having an open hydro system. How they pulled that off I'm not sure but it sounds REALLY cool for increasing lever pull and eliminating pad rub.....

Stosh after going to disc brakes, you will probably NEVER want to go back, it's a whole other world....

edit - yeah I see you found it
http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=911

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by sub6
there was an article on HCOR a few weeks ago, I don't remember a whole lot about it other than they're called "Juicy" and (remarkably) they have a manual pad adjustment like the Mech's, despite having an open hydro system. How they pulled that off I'm not sure but it sounds REALLY cool for increasing lever pull and eliminating pad rub.....

Stosh after going to disc brakes, you will probably NEVER want to go back, it's a whole other world....
Damn, I really need to get that damn bike.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001

Wonder if they will have a small XC version?
Yes, they'll be available in 160/185/203 rotors.

Pick up a 160 F/R and you have your XC setup. :)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by sub6

True...I have a set of brand new Avid mechanicals but I'm too poor to buy a new wheelset and an FSR adaptor for my XC bike.

Maybe with my tax refund...(if any)

After tasting the joy of disc brakes last year...I have a hard time enjoying v-brakes now. :(

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by FlipSide
True...I have a set of brand new Avid mechanicals but I'm too poor to buy a new wheelset and an FSR adaptor for my XC bike.

Maybe with my tax refund...(if any)

After tasting the joy of disc brakes last year...I have a hard time enjoying v-brakes now. :(
What kind of bike do you have?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
For XC: Specialized FSRxc. In 2000, it was not disc-compatible so I'll have to buy an adaptor...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Anyone have info on these new brakes? I saw an ad for them on the back of Dirt Rag.
Well they're called the juicy 7 and i saw them at avids tent at sea otter they said they retail for 250 a pair and will be availible sometime in the summer. They had them on a stand and i tryed them they seem realy nice with a really even contact on the disk.
I think they're a bit expensive but otherwise i think they're cool.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Originally posted by JMAC
Well they're called the juicy 7 and i saw them at avids tent at sea otter they said they retail for 250 a pair and will be availible sometime in the summer. They had them on a stand and i tryed them they seem realy nice with a really even contact on the disk.
I think they're a bit expensive but otherwise i think they're cool.
250 for a set of hydro disc brakes is expensive:confused:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by the BIG cheese
250 for a set of hydro disc brakes is expensive:confused:
250 would be cheap for both front+rear but it's 250 each wheel so 500 for a pair.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
those rotors look like a rip off from xtr though. I would have figured avid to come up with something more original than that.

they have that thing with upgrading their product and redesigning everything from year to year too. I bet that $180 price will come down by alot over 2 years if that is the case.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
those rotors look like a rip off from xtr though. I would have figured avid to come up with something more original than that.
They look more like magura rotors to me. Wavey rotors have been around for years though.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja

they have that thing with upgrading their product and redesigning everything from year to year too. I bet that $180 price will come down by alot over 2 years if that is the case.
ummmm you are talking about the hydros right?? b/c if you are talking about the avid juicy's which i think you are, well then you're wrong. the rotors look NOTHING alike. and i honestly doubt that they'll come out w/ a revision of the juicies next year. only b/c they have been working on this single product since 99 and have had so many different verisons of the brake it's insane. these brakes are goin to be well worth anything avid sets the price at!

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
And knowing avid they will be a great deal. I have avid mechs on two of my bikes, and have loved them since switching from magura julies (and magura louise before that) years ago.

I'm going to give hydraulics another try when these are finally available. I'm not sure about the fluid, as I hear arguements for and against DOT. Definitely more convenient and cheaper than a brand-specific mineral oil, but DOT is nasty stuff.

I'm sure they'll be on ebay for less than $180, but I'll probably just get them from Jenson. I'm thinking 203/185 setup...

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by FlipSide
i have a solution to your problem. Ride around on a bmx bike for a week or so (god u-brakes are horrible) and your vee's will feel amazing

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm a huge fan of pad adjustability. I run Hope C2s, for God's sake. But the Avid dial, in person, looks incredibly cheesy. It's plastic, and it's exposed. A good crash and it's gone, I bet. Didn't think that way until I saw the lever at Sea Otter.

Also HATE the lever blade. After being used to the more moto-style Hope and Hayes Razor Rock style levers, this one just felt fat and un-ergonomic...and way too far away from the bars. (But I do have small hands, and they weren't adjusted in...) In any case, they're not for 1-finger braking at all, at least with my hands.

Too bad, because I was really set on liking them, and they felt nice and solid, with a good amount of modulation (as I could tell on the display...I didn't get to ride them!).

MD

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I don't know about that plastic adjuster either, I would probably run it on the underside. As for lever shape and distance, they are at the exact same angle as all avid speed dial levers, and are easy to adjust for reach. I don't know if the shape is the same as their cable levers, but it looks like it from the photos I have seen.

The listed price at jenson just went up 75%. I sure hope that's retail and not what they will actually sell for.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I ran some Magura Julies and destroyed them on my first good header crash. It ruins your ride when your 15 miles in the woods with only a front brake, it's pourin down rain, and you only got a few hours of daylight left........
Bling is nice but if the lever don't hold up it's crap.
Hayes for days.........