Quantcast

Avid Juicy 7 pad contact adjuster range, help?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Help!
(Have searched and couldn't find anything relevent)

Just got a set of Avid Juicy 7s and fitted them.

1st Question:
I like to run my levers pretty close to the bars (tip of lever just over 2" from the bar) and the pads to contact the disc nice and quickly - pads contacting the disc after maybe only 1/2 inch of lever pull would be nice. now even with the pad adj dial (the only reason I got the 7s) full in there is still at least 1" of lever movement before the pads will contact the disc - I'd hoped the adjuster would allow you to run them anyway you like right upto hitting the disc immediately/dragging and then use the adjuster to dial out to your prefered position. is this possible, or not?

2nd Question:
they also feel very spongey compared to pretty much every other brake I've ever felt. with them set up as described (tip of blade just over 2" from bar and pads contacting disc after 1" of lever pull) I can still pull the lever right up until it hits the bar using only one finger. is this just how they are when new? and does the lever feel get more solid with use?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
pads are centred and have already bled them with dot 5.1

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
sounds like you just installed them. i would go break them in, they feel a lot better after they have a couple of rides on them. or just give sram a call, they are always very helpful

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yeah, I've just installed them.
good to hear that the feel will improve once broken in but I can't see how the point at which the pads hit the rotor is going to improve just by breaking them in?
I can't really use them just now as the front is faulty and is going back to the shop on Monday and If the pad contact adjustment can't be improved I'm tempted to just get a refund on them.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Did you bleed them with the dial adjuster backed out all of the way?

You could also try removing the wheel and pulling the brake slightly to get the pads to adjust themselves closer to the rotor.

If they still feel spongy time to rebleed them, even if you just bleed them.

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
You could also try removing the wheel and pulling the brake slightly to get the pads to adjust themselves closer to the rotor.
i think that will help a lot !....i do that evertime i go for a ride because the brake works much better !

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Well I just got a new set, and i was messing with the pad adjustments (didn't read the manual) and I thought they were bled badley because I almost had to pull to the lever to get them to even grab the disc.

I turned the pad adjustment knob towards "IN" because i thought that would move them in towards the disc and let them grab up sooner. I maxed out the knob and felt no change. Then somebody told me that "in" means towards the pistons, essentially away from the disc. So once i figured that out i was able to dial them in perfectly. I have small hands so I have to move the levers closer to the bar, and the pads hit the disc pretty quickly. There is loads of adjustment in that knob.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
yeah, if you bleed it correctly it will contact sooner and then you will be able to adjust to it wherever you want. and yes the brakes feel terrible when you first put them on, so just ride up and down your street and brake to a complete stop until they get better. mine work beautifully now.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Also remember that the pad adjuster knob is really just adjusting the mechanical advantage of the lever. The right way to setup the levers is to unscrew the red pad knob all the way. Then use a 2mm allen wrench to adjust the lever reach to where you want it (the screw is located directly behind the lever). Then after the reach is right, then play with the knob.

Almost every single Juicy, Code & elCamino i've felt that was setup by using the pad/power knob as a lever reach adjustment has felt mushy. If it still feels bad it may need to be re-bled, and when you do make sure the red knob is unscrewed all the way and the lever reach screw is unscrewed almost all the way before pumping the lever to center the pads.