Quantcast

Avid juicy 7 - seized piston ?

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
After the last DH weekend i realized that only 1 piston in my caliper is moving, the other is in all the way causing the disc to rub on the caliper on that side. Anybody know what could be the problem and a way to fix it ? its the second season on these brakes and ive bleed them a couple weeks ago.

Thx Thx ::pirate2:

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
First thing to try is to hold the non-seized piston down (completely compressed) with pliers or a screwdriver or whatever you can find to hold in just the non-seized piston. Then try depressing the lever while holding the non-seized piston. This has worked for me many times in the past with old Hope and Hayes brakes. If it doesn't work, try again but drip Tri-Flow around the seized piston first and let it penetrate a bit before trying again.

Finally if all that fails, you can disassemble your caliper. Take the seized side and blow compressed air into it (via hydro fluid port or brake line / bleed valve). Just be careful as the pistons will rocket outta the caliper if it works. If that doesn't work, fill the half-caliper up with Tri-Flow, let it soak and try again. And if that also doesn't work, you can try chipping/chiseling away the piston until you muscle it out in pieces and then insert a new piston & seal. Or you can purchase a new caliper / half caliper.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would remove the pads, clean the pistons off with some kind of evaporating solvent (like for cleaning rotors). Then lube the pistons and try that non-frozen pot trick.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I would remove the pads, clean the pistons off with some kind of evaporating solvent (like for cleaning rotors). Then lube the pistons and try that non-frozen pot trick.
I soaked the piston in tri-flow last night... then held down the moving side with a box wrench while i pumped the brakes.

no luck.

i can try cleaning the piston first this time. what do you mean by evaporating solvent? rubbing alcohol?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OK... I did all I good w/ this brake. I brought it to the shop and they couldn't fix it either. I played with it more and thought it was fixed... but just temporarily. Now it's back to broken.

I checked out the pricing replacement calipers and that's about as much as me picking up a new front brake online.

Does anyone have and advice on how I could send this back to Avid?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
You can try calling SRAM directly and get someone in tech. They may be able to provide you directly with an RA# and perhaps warranty the brake or caliper. As always though, keep in mind that companies sometimes will not deal directly to the consumer, so you may have to go through your LBS. Either way you should be able to get something done about it through SRAM, they're pretty damn good when it comes to customer service.

B

boobaciousboob

Yeh usually send it back to your local dealer and he can take a look for you, he'll either then send it back to Sram or the local distributour...