Quantcast

avoiding flats

splat

Nam I am
jacksonpt said:
What tires are you running? I'm interested to know what the recommended max air pressure for your tires... seems like most are 110-120 psi. I know you said you ignore those, but...
Conti's, Michielin, Specilized, Huchition. I never read what the side wall says so I could not not say what they reccomend. I just know I put that Much pressure in them and I don't get snake bites any more. , well some times but very infrequently , I did get one on saturday which is the first one I can remeber in recent memory. only my 2nd road flat this year , andthe first was a piece of glass sliced my sidewall ruining tire and tube.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
jacksonpt said:
Know anything about the Michelin Axial Carbons?
I rode those for a little while. They're sweet in dry conditions and I've had one withstand rolling over a broken bottle. That shocked my sh*t that it didn't even scratch the tire.
Buuuuuuuut, I found them to be slippery when wet...especially climbing. I only weigh 150lbs. soaking wet, so maybe they hook up better if you're sporting a few more pounds. :confused:

Surly

Chimp
Ok...I haven't posted here in a long time. But I bought a new Jamis Quest on Sunday! I was really stoked. Until my second ride yesterday...when I flatted my rear tire.

It sounds like these tires may just suck. :sigh: Nothing better than having to spend money to replace brand new gear.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Surly said:
Ok...I haven't posted here in a long time. But I bought a new Jamis Quest on Sunday! I was really stoked. Until my second ride yesterday...when I flatted my rear tire.

It sounds like these tires may just suck. :sigh: Nothing better than having to spend money to replace brand new gear.
Bummer dude. I've done a lot of reading over the last week or so about this and I haven't seen any evidence that it's a consistent problem. I have, however, read that people are having problems with the rear wheel coming disengaged. I'm not sure what they mean by that, but I had the rear wheel pull out of the dropouts on my first spin down the driveway - I assume that's what they are talking about. So... make sure that rear QR is super tight.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just an update...

it seems like if I run 110-120 psi in the tires, I do fine. I'm not going to say that the problem is solved just yet (need more miles before I make that statement), but things look good. I'm currently running a Conti Ultra 2000 in the back at 115psi and the OE Hutch Quartz in the front at 110psi.