Quantcast

Awkward thanksgiving moments

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Went out to eat at the local country club. Kids were acceptable.

The real kicker was this fat lady who had a plate with nothing but a mountain of stuffing and gravy.
Can you explain country clubs to me? I've only seen them in the movies, and don't know if it's an accurate portrayal.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It turns out with my dads passing. The grumpy old man role has been taken over by me. I shall proudly carry on the tradition. I really don't like Canadian whisky, but whatever...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My youngest got to spend a few hours in the ER yesterday. Yay! He tripped and caught an outside drywall corner to the head.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, he took it like a champ. It was pretty deep, but clean split so should be ok. They just glued it and butterflied it. Otherwise they would have had to strap him down and inject him for stitches. We opted for less torture for a toddler. He's going to have a scar either way.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Went to same friends house for dinner...He and I blew through a bottle of Jamesons and a couple Guinness each before dinner. Had some killer turkey and taters, crashed as soon as we got home.

Awkward moment came when his wife breastfed the munchkin she was preggo with last Turkey day with at the table...but that wasnt as weird as last year, when their 3 y/o decided he wanted to eat dinner stark nekkid and disrobed in the kitchen. He then sat down next to my daughter just like normal. She was, for once in her young life, rendered speechless...good times...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yea, he took it like a champ. It was pretty deep, but clean split so should be ok. They just glued it and butterflied it. Otherwise they would have had to strap him down and inject him for stitches. We opted for less torture for a toddler. He's going to have a scar either way.
Harry potter scar!

Must've been a gusher... That would freak me right out...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I went to the flea market and bought a old portable flattop from a food truck. Black Iron and weighs 50 pounds. Switched to propane already. Can I run it in the house off propane? Fucker gets hot instantly. I can't wait to make pancakes, eggs, and corned beef hash on it. Steak sandwiches also. The guy liked me and sold it to me for $45, down from $300. Fucking chik ching! Next summer its going to installed into the Cabin. Committed to buy a solar system from my friend Ben. 4 panels, batterys and controller. The panels are on a sled system with fixed mounts That I can use to put them on my roof. The controller has to be wired to my local utility by a electrician. Is a 500watt system good enough for a 1 person household? His new system is 5300 watts and has 20 panels...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Annual bump.

Awkwardness this year supplied by me. Bought tickets to fly out for LA for the annual Catansgiving three or four months ago. Discovered well after the fact that I bought them for the wrong week. Cost more to rebook than just eating the cost of the tickets and repurchasing. So we did neither and will be having thanksgiving in LA next week. Actual turkey day with the wine snob lesbians. Should be a good time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
doing thanksgiving with wife's family on friday. i should have some good stories. my bro in law apparently has a medical card now and has informed me he plans to hit the shed heavily in order to deal.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Annual bump.

Awkwardness this year supplied by me. Bought tickets to fly out for LA for the annual Catansgiving three or four months ago. Discovered well after the fact that I bought them for the wrong week. Cost more to rebook than just eating the cost of the tickets and repurchasing. So we did neither and will be having thanksgiving in LA next week. Actual turkey day with the wine snob lesbians. Should be a good time.
Oh, you’ll be in town? We should shenanigan if you have time to shenanigan.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Should be fun tomorrow 3 rabid Trump heads at the table and the rest can't stand him. Can you say family feud? Oh and after that we are going to have a " family discussion" about putting the MIL in an assisted living facility. I vote chair on an iceberg

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Can someone explain to me why you Muricans have all that hoopla with family, in laws and everything in between, just to repeat all that hell once again a month later?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Awkward Thanksgiving moment #2.

Wife just informed me that lowes delivered the wrong fucking stove for the new ///kitchen. Shes going down there to raise hell and I'm stuck at work. Which probably works out best for everyone.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My ladies pops is in town & she hasn't seen him in 3 years & evidently was absent much of her youth & he has only met the 10 y/o & 5 y/o once. I should have plenty more awkward moments to share by Monday.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
this year my kids are gonna have to supply the awkward, as the MIL’s bigoted, racist boyfriend is no longer living....or maybe the new dog. MIL is NOT pleased to have two large dogs coming to her duplex...

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Looking like a pretty normal Turkey Day in store for me tomorrow at my dad's house. My step sis will be here with her husband and kids but they're all pretty cool. Although, my step-mom's nephew (who I've only met once) will be there with his new wife. He goes to Princeton Theological School for a degree in god stuff and is fairly reserved so depending how his wife is (and how much beer/booze we consume) I guess there is some potential for awkwardness.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looking like a pretty normal Turkey Day in store for me tomorrow at my dad's house. My step sis will be here with her husband and kids but they're all pretty cool. Although, my step-mom's nephew (who I've only met once) will be there with his new wife. He goes to Princeton Theological School for a degree in god stuff and is fairly reserved so depending how his wife is (and how much beer/booze we consume) I guess there is some potential for awkwardness.
Tell him jesus was black. And loved the chronic.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My fav akward moment - when someone asks about my thanksgiving plans, pointing out that for immigrants with families abroad, this is the most lonesome day of the whole year. :rofl: