Quantcast

Baby back ribs on the grill

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
-- Cook them at about 200ish, and for many hours.
-- Place a pie tin of water below the ribs and next to the coals for steam. (cook over the water, not the coals)
-- Dry rub the meat with whatever you like but do not cook them in sauce, that comes after they are done cooking.
-- I generally have a squirt bottle full of apple juice/cider and give them a spritz every 30 minutes or so. Make sure you are on the mist setting.
-- They aren't done until the bone twists around in the meat and pulls out without any effort.
-- For your wood, I like a combination of Apple & Hickory. Just make sure you soak it for 30 minutes or so.

EDIT --
I have really been wanting to try this lately. I saw it on Good Eats and like like a cool way to slow cook. http://twothirds.org/2005/09/smoking-pot-cheap-terracotta-flower.html

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Using a grill, I would do pretty much what Tench said, but if you don't have many hours, you can boil them for about 10 minutes or pressure cook them for about 5 (they turn out more tender in the pressure cooker).

Oh....& don't forget to tear the membrane off the back of the slab.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my recipes for rub & baste....

TN's BBQ Rub
1 tbs. Paprika
2 tbs. Light brown sugar
1.5 tsp. Hot Hungarian paprika
.5 tsp. Grnd. sage
.5 tsp. Grnd. coriander
.5 tsp. Onion powder
.5 tsp. Grnd. ginger
.5 tsp. Grnd. mustard
.5 tsp. Mustard seed
.5 tsp. Coriander seed
Cracked black pepper to taste
1.5 tsp. Salt
.5 tsp. Garlic salt
.5 tsp. White pepper

Combine all spices in a sealable container & then shake the hell out of it.

Vinager baste
2 cups cider vinegar.
2 tbs. light brown sugar
cracked black pepper
your favorite hot sauce to taste (we used Siracha)
1 tsp. Mustard seeds
1 tsp. Coriander seeds

Boil for 3-4 minutes of med-high heat. Let cool & baste away.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I Are Baboon said:
Tenchiro, I have a gas grill so what do I do about the water?
put soaked wood chips in the pan & place it on the stones with a low heat.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I Are Baboon said:
Tenchiro, I have a gas grill so what do I do about the water?
I suppose if you can only activate one row or section of burners at a time keep the water and meat off to the side while the wood box is over the flame.

The key is not to use the flame to cook the meat but the hot air in the grill. If you can light the back burner and not the front that would be perfect as you would get a nice circular convection current.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Tenchiro said:
I suppose if you can only activate one row or section of burners at a time keep the water and meat off to the side while the wood box is over the flame.

The key is not to use the flame to cook the meat but the hot air in the grill. If you can light the back burner and not the front that would be perfect as you would get a nice circular convection current.
So cook over indirect heat, eh? I can do that. My grill has four burners that run front to back.

TN, thanks for the rub and baste info!

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I Are Baboon said:
So cook over indirect heat, eh? I can do that. My grill has four burners that run front to back.

TN, thanks for the rub and baste info!
Yeah with something like ribs there is so much connective tissue that it needs time to break down into gelatin and there is no other way than to cook it low and slow. That gelatin is what accounts for most of the juicyness in well cooked ribs and other cuts like bBoston Butt.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
what we do before they go on the grill is we boil them in a beer mixture then grill.

Beer Mixture~
6-8 can's of your favorite beer [can be the cheap stuff]
1-2 citris fruit
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup orange juice [pulp free]

Grilling~
cook on low heat 200-300 untill tender
use favorite bbq sause or make your own
pour some of beer mixture on top during grilling to help keep moist
enjoy!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think par-boiling ribs is heretical.

IAB, i use propane, and here's what i do:

get a dry rub together...you can do a ton of different things, so experiment...these are the spices i use:

chile powder (can also use ancho chile powder or chipotle chile powder)
paprika (not hot)
onion powder
garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper
ground sea salt
cayenne pepper (modulate as per heat liking, and also whether or not you used chipotle chile powder)
cinnamon and/or allspice
brown sugar (not too much or you risk carmelizing and flareups)
chopped thyme
dry mustard
coriander
cumin
turmeric

mix all spices together (as a rough guide, the base is chile powder/paprika; the others are complementary and in smaller ratios), then coat ribs, cut into half-slabs. put a couple of slabs into a large ziploc baggie, and then put in enough white or cider vinegar to coat the ribs, but not so much that it washes off the spice rub. leave overnight.

on a clean grill, set the flame to the lowest setting possible, and put the ribs bone-side down. cook for ~45 min, and if there are meatier ones you can put meatside-down for ~5 min or so.

this is pretty much a foolproof method, one i've done loads of times.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
i think par-boiling ribs is heretical.
'Tis..but, sometimes there just aren't enough hours in a day, plus there is no shortage of pork, so you can afford to hereticize (new word!) a slab or two.

My preferred method is 7+ hours in a smoker (I mean a proper smoker with a separate fire box) fueled by a mix of hickory & mesquite chunks/logs. I don't think ANY propane-smoked-ribs, parboiled, prebaked ribs will stand up to properly smoked ribs ever.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
I'm not trying to win any cooking contests here...I just want to grill some ribs. :D

You really need to Tivo Alton Brown's Good Eats episode where he talks about cooking ribs & rubs...

He cooked them in his oven.

:drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tenchiro said:
Yeah with something like ribs there is so much connective tissue that it needs time to break down into gelatin and there is no other way than to cook it low and slow. That gelatin is what accounts for most of the juicyness in well cooked ribs and other cuts like bBoston Butt.
actually, my vinegar soak (not to be confused w/ my vinegar stroke) does a decent job of breaking it down.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TN said:
'Tis..but, sometimes there just aren't enough hours in a day, plus there is no shortage of pork, so you can afford to hereticize (new word!) a slab or two.

My preferred method is 7+ hours in a smoker (I mean a proper smoker with a separate fire box) fueled by a mix of hickory & mesquite chunks/logs. I don't think ANY propane-smoked-ribs, parboiled, prebaked ribs will stand up to properly smoked ribs ever.
i agree that smoking is the way to go...but given a short time frame to work with, i'll take my method w/ the propane grill over par-boiling any day of the week.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Holy crap. This forum needs a warning about not visiting it while you are hungry.:drool: