Quantcast

Back excersizes

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I'm doing pullups and rows (wide/narrow grip cable rows) and it never feels like my back is getting hit. Ie. if I do chest and tris it seems that if I hit them hard I'll feel the "pump" but never with the back...am I doing them wrong?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I assume you are hitting the free weights at a gym? I was never able to get any real pump just doing machines, it didn't do it for me.

My back day now consists of deadlift(4 sets, 1 warmup), seated or standing military press(4 sets, probably my favorite lift), and bentover rows(4 sets). Deadlift is a tough lift to get right, but when you get it you'll feel it in your entire upper body, especially the mid to lower back. Military rocks for the upper back and the rows are great for the lats. You will definitely get some pump from this work out.

The Ito

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I had that problem for the longest time too. I never got much of a pump, wasnt getting any stronger, and never really got sore. One day I decided to throw quite a bit more weight on than I could usually do and went nuts. I ended up cheating on quite a few reps, but it gave me more of a pump and I have been getting stronger all the time.

My routine includes:
Pulldowns - palms forward, wide grip, in front of face
Pulldowns - palms back, narrow grip, front of face (<-good for biceps too)
seated rows - on the machine, one arm at a time <- allows more stretch and builds more core strength
bent over rows - free weights, couple different variations
deadlift
shrugs - kind of getting into the shoulders
As for military press,ito, is there any reason that you do this on your back day? I do them on my shoulder day...just curious.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by SilentJ
As for military press,ito, is there any reason that you do this on your back day? I do them on my shoulder day...just curious.
I lift four days a week(chest/abs, back/shoulders, arms, legs) so back and shoulders are combined. I also find that the military press gives me great results across the upper back(I found this to be true especially with seated military). I got my routine from my roommate who considers himself a body builder and he knows his stuff, so I've trusted how he's steered our workout schedule.

Personally I don't know if there is a reason for doing it that way, but I really like the combo of dead and seated military. I am also with you on the one-handed rows and have been throwing those in lately.

How do you like the shrugs? I've been thinking about adding them on, but haven't done it yet(I'm a newb when it comes to weight lifting, but getting better).

The Ito

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
:shrugs:

Shrugs are good..they improve your grip strenth too which is always good for bike ridin.

I already have pretty big traps and a pretty big (no) neck (17.5" :eek: ) so I dont really do them to get bigger, just to keep them in shape. Make sure to take it easy when you start them or you'll be sorry if they get real sore!:eek: As you can imagine, its not fun when they hurt real bad as it tends to lead to bad headaches (on me anyways). I tore a muscle in my back doing them once...grossest sound ive ever heard :yak: It was LOUD in a fairly loud and busy gym. Then I drew the whole gyms attention after I dropped the 120#ers and writhed on the floor in agony. It all happened because I was loosing grip on the dumbells and tried to re-grip without putting them down...that was dumb.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Ouch! That sounds painful, I think I'll probably take it easy on those if I start them. I'm a small guy too(138 or so, 5'6) and getting hurt from lifting would definitely be the worse.

Thanks.

The Ito

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Hey ITo what's the key to the deadlift? is it just to keep your back straight while lifting from the legs? annd then all the way back down?

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Hey ITo what's the key to the deadlift? is it just to keep your back straight while lifting from the legs? annd then all the way back down?
I'm not the best person to ask, but I'll try to explain it as best I can.

Start out with a low weight, maybe 10-25lbs on each side of the bar. When you go down bend at the knees and waist, keep your back as straight as possible. If you remember what everyone told you during pushups..."keep your head forward"....do that, it'll help keep the back in line and you can also look at your studly self in the mirror :). The grip is easy, one hand forward, the other opposite. When you lift, initially go from the knees and then start straightening from the waist. Do it slowly to get the feeling down. Lock out with the knees and back straight and then repeat this in reverse to lower.

You can also do this stiff-legged, but I don't have much experience with this. I also find that the deadlift is very similar to everyday activity, like lifting a heavy box off of the ground. This makes it easy to pick up and useful.

SilentJ, you sound like you have your stuff dialed, did I describe it correctly?

The Ito

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
That pretty much describes exactly how I do it...I just never knew if this was the proper way or if the stiff leg way was the proper way.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Originally posted by ito
I'm not the best person to ask, but I'll try to explain it as best I can......SilentJ, you sound like you have your stuff dialed, did I describe it correctly?

The Ito
Thats how I do them with the exception of the grip. Unless its so heavy that youre in danger of it rolling out of your hands, then theres no real reason to have 1 palm forward and 1 back. I face both palms the same way...seems to build grip stregth a little more.