Quantcast

Back on the road.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This morning I did my first serious road bike ride of the season - I've gone out on a few but haven't pushed as hard as I did today. The weather was perfect and the temp was 58. I haven't paid attention to the wind patterns lately - this morning the wind was from the east, eratic at first but steady at 15 towards the end.

I started off with a 3.5 mile warm up at 16MPH, this brings me to the edge of town. I stopped, drank some water, reset my computer and took off for all I was worth. I headed north which is a slow and steady climb eventually giving way to climbing rollers - nothing too intense. At the 10 mile mark I had averaged 18.1MPH - not too bad for this early in the season. I turned around and headed back into town - gently downhill - nothing real high speed but a steady pace in the mid 20s is possible unless the wind is in your face. With one mile to go I had increased my average speed to 19.8 - then I was hit by a wall of wind - I tried to maintain my pace but was forced into the mid teens, my heart was ready to explode as I was intent on keeping the average up but no dice - just as I turned 20 miles my average dropped to 19.7MPH... yarg. Damn wind. I reset the computer again for the final 6.5 miles at 16MPH.

So now I am pretty tired but pretty happy.

As a side note: this is my second season on my Campy Chorus 10 - it's still a dream and very satisfying to operate.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, whenever I don't perform up to my level of satisfaction, I blame the wind too :devil:

chorus :drool:

I can't wait until I can afford full 105 :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by LordOpie
do you use a heart monitor?
I only use one for running - I am much better road biker than runner so I can more easily guage my effort level. The last mile of this ride is aside a bluff next to a river - that combo funnels the wind head on when heading south - you'll drop from from the low twenties to the mid teens in about a city block. I know it's coming and power up as much as possible - I can feel my heart beating in my neck.

Old_Dude

Monkey
As for me, I used to record and analyze all of my workout data (gym, running, et cetera). Since I quit doing all that I find my efforts are much more enjoyable. Took me several years to figure that out.

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with keeping up with all the data - especially like SM if you wanna compete in events or if you just wanna "see where you are", but for me, and on more than one occasion, the "data" has tarnished an otherwise excellent ride. I like not having that happen anymore.

Maybe I'm just too competitive with myself?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Actually I am training for a road bike race the first weekend in June, I also posted because some monkey types like to know how they stack up against other riders... in road biking this requires data. For me this was an excellent early season effort especially since I am just 3 weeks off of 50 mile foot race.

For me the most enjoyable thing you can do on a road bike is pedal fast. :thumb:

Originally posted by Old_Dude
As for me, I used to record and analyze all of my workout data (gym, running, et cetera). Since I quit doing all that I find my efforts are much more enjoyable. Took me several years to figure that out.

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with keeping up with all the data - especially like SM if you wanna compete in events or if you just wanna "see where you are", but for me, and on more than one occasion, the "data" has tarnished an otherwise excellent ride. I like not having that happen anymore.

Maybe I'm just too competitive with myself?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Olyroller
Dude ! I've seen you ride, so you must be using a walker to run.
:D just funnin
I've seen you ride as well - you forgot your oatmeal if I remember right. I challenge you to a time trial... :D

Tonight there were two of us - we did 16 miles and averaged 20.8. It was a different route with less elevation gain and much less wind... plus we drafted each other.

Old_Dude

Monkey
posted because some monkey types like to know how they stack up against other riders... in road biking this requires data
Yeah, I can understand that - makes sense.

50 mile foot race
I can't imagine doing that. Doesn't your body begin using fuel from muscle tissue after about 20 miles? I'd like to learn more about long distance running - my longest runs are only 10 miles. Maybe if I worked up slowly I'd begin to appreciate long distances more?

I enjoy your dedication - it's motivational.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Totally amazing.

I did my first group ride last night (starting and finishing at a micro-brewery) and I got dropped like a sack of rocks. There were about 30 riders for a 20 mile ride with a bit of elevation change. Since I don't have any other rides to compare, I'm not sure if it would be considered a lot.

I slowly started to lose ground on a gentle meandering level route. I looked down at my speedo and I was doing a steady 23 as the pack pulled away. There were about 5 riders behind me at this point.

They really lost me when we hit the first climb. I sucked it up and managed to catch up at the bottom of the next hill only because everyone got caught at a stoplight. I was determined to stay in the group and managed to do so up the next slow uphill...

... until my chain snapped 12 miles into the ride. And me without my chain tool (of course.) A nice rider that I passed pulled up and managed to get my chain together, but he had to remove a link because it was so mangled.

My buddy found his way back to me when he noticed I wasn't around, and the three of us finished the ride together, ending at the brewery.

My average speed: 15.4... laughable compared to your "frustrating" 19.7.

:D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Group rides are always faster than solo efforts, if you can hang onto the draft your average really improves.

So, with your broken chain did anyone call you Fred? :D :D :D

I always hear about broken chains so, even though I've never broken one - I get new chains every 2000 miles or so. :)

Yesterday I rested and tonights ride will be moderate. I am riding with one of my running buddies who does not bike much. If He drafts me he can average 18.5 for about 16 miles on his crappy, crappy bike. It's even worse than LordOpie's wreck - if you can imagine that. :eek:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I also posted because some monkey types like to know how they stack up against other riders
Ok.

Just moved into a new place last weekend and yesterday was my first after work ride from there. My old dead flat 20 mile out and back has been replaced by a 20 mile loop with an actual climb. Joy! On the out and back I generally averaged 20mph including warm up. Yesterday I averaged 18.6 on the new loop despite a nasty little headwind most of the way home. Weird. I expected to be slower.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I failed to mention that this is my first group ride EVER. I only bought the bike used a month ago, which is a 10 year old Cannondale.

I hope to continue to ride with this group every Tuesday and I'm sure by the end of the summer, I'll be in much better shape. Maybe I'll even be able to hang with the "slow group."

:D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by wooglin
...including warm up.
I am very bad with warming up correctly. My route in and out of town is dead flat... and the wind is almost always favorable going out, you can pedal in the mid 20s straight off. I read somewhere that wasn't a good idea so this year I am going to have a minimum 3 mile warm up and cool down for every ride.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by G-Cracker
I failed to mention that this is my first group ride EVER. I only bought the bike used a month ago, which is a 10 year old Cannondale.
My bike is used too - and it's nearly 15 years old. :eviltongu

I don't know about your group but most roadie groups do their very best to drop the newbies, it an unwritten law. Getting dropped isn't really a bad thing - you'll push yourself much hard trying to catch up... once you get the hang of things you'll find that riding in a pack is actually less effort...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I just re-read my post and realized I came across like I was making excuses because I have an old bike... I'd be dropped if I was riding a $2000 bike, too. :D

It's going to be a good summer of riding.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I am very bad with warming up correctly.
I do alright with warm ups although it takes a few more minutes each year :(. I just count them with my average time is all. Always have.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...have a minimum 3 mile warm up...
haha! My warm up is more like 10 miles. No, seriously. The first 30-45 minutes are difficult. I hope to get my warm up to below 20 minutes someday cuz I'm always struggling to keep up with my riding partner for the first hour :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tonights ride was 20 miles - the guy I ride with on Wednesday is a serious runner - sub sixer up to a half marathon. This was his first road bike ride since I last rode with him in October of last year. We averaged 17.5 - no need for a warm up at that pace... I am feeling a bit tired after 70 miles since Sunday. Tomorrow is our weekly MTB Cardio Crew so I am off the road bike until Sunday.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - I know it is lame to bump your own thread but...

Tonight my buddy and I finally hit our stride on the bikes - doing the same ride as discribed in the first post we averaged 19.1 going out with just a slight headwind at times and dead still at others. By the time we finished we had increased our average to 20.5 by the 20th mile. We rode side by side and made a effort not to draft since we are both training. My buddy got the better of me tonight and pushed me hard. Fantastic workout.

Just a mile from the finish I developed a monster cramp in my calf - we had to pull back and I coasted for a minute, I was pushing big gears to hard on the flats - low spin and high speed = cramp. I know this this but I did it anyway. :rolleyes:

I feel ready for my race at the end of the month. :cool:

On Sunday I am going out early to do a dead flat twenty miler - if I'm where I think I'm at - averaging around 22 or a little lower should be a realistic target.