Quantcast

Back Roads to Snowshoe

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Anyone know the backroads to snowshoe or a crazy short cut? My friends claim that the one time they've been there they made in exactly 3 and a half hours from Manassas, VA (northern VA). I keep telling them no way but they swear by it and there parents said it to. What the hell? Why does it take me 5 hours??? We drove fast too.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
3.5 hrs to Snowshoe from Manassas sounds reasonable considering it takes me just a little over 4 hrs door to door from Alexandria - and that's usually with a breakfast stop somewhere along the way. I usually go 66 to 81 to Rte. 55 (at Strasburg) to 28/92 past the Greenbank Observatory to WV Rte. 66 (Snowshoe-Cass-Greenbank Road) to Snowshoe.

I've also done the Rte. 33 way but that road seems to wind in and out of them thar foothills forever (with some nice views at least). At least with Rte. 55 it opens up on some nice new open freeway for a while.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I take damiens route and it was 4 hrs exact from springfield to the top. His route lets u get on the new bypass and go about 90 for 10 miles or so.