Quantcast

Backpack for resort riding

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Decided to get a backpack with camelback for resort and am riding. I've been out of touch in the backpack market but what are my options if I want something fairly light, that can store a lot of water and doesn't have to transport lots of tools? 100-150$ Though if cheaper is an option than why not.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Camelbak Mule cannot be beaten. And you can find it any just about any color imaginable. Has straps for most anything you can possibly need for resort riding unless you want to carry a bear cub.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
don't EVOC and POC make some that have integrated spine protectors too? if you're going to be DHing with it, then why not?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm alreay using back protection but it's a nice tough for agressive trail riding.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have the Hydrapak Selva which is not on their site anymore, but I like the pack and the bladder system a lot. Their Tamarack looks nice too.

-Brett

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Osprey Zealot, hands down. I love most of their packs but the features on that particular model are perfect for the gravity crowd. I dont often use a pack when riding resort or shuttle stuff but when I do I can hardly even notice that it is there. I cannot say the same for CamelBak products. The straps dont fit my torsoe well and I notice the weight shifting around alot on many of their models.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Being able to strap my ff to it would be great. Seems silly but all the times I had to ride between lifts in places like Morzine it just makes sense.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I use this very minimalist Camelbak XLP for MTB XC racing & trail riding and also dirtbiking when it's worn over body armor. It carries plenty of water for my backcountry adventures or a normal person's hour+ excursions away from a water fountain. There's a zippered pocket and an elastic pouch that should be able to carry whatever you'd want at a resort (safety supplies). Most importantly it's very light and small so you don't know it's there with or without body armor (the waist strap is unnecessary and was cut off).

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
wtf is resort riding?

i use a Camelbak MULE as a hydration pack for XC /AM riding and a Deuter Transalpine 30 for multiday trips and i can recommend them both, awesome backpacks.

Camelbak M.U.L.E.

Deuter Transalpine 30

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
wtf is resort riding?

i use a Camelbak MULE as a hydration pack for XC /AM riding and a Deuter Transalpine 30 for multiday trips and i can recommend them both, awesome backpacks.

Camelbak M.U.L.E.

Deuter Transalpine 30

Bikeparks? Not XC/AM. 10l backpacks that are usefull in large bikeparks when you have rides between lifts/hidden trails. 30l backpag is a total pig for dh riding.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Bikeparks? Not XC/AM. 10l backpacks that are usefull in large bikeparks when you have rides between lifts/hidden trails. 30l backpag is a total pig for dh riding.
aah, ok... never been to a bikepark that large, the ones i've been to didn't make me wish for a backpack....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Need close up pics of the Mule to see the upper compression straps and the outside mesh pocket has a buckle too. I can strap my windbreaker to one side or run it parallel across the top and have it pinned down by those two upper straps and then run knee pads vertically on those and the two lower outside straps. The quick clips on the top straps make it fast to unlatch stuff.

When unloaded those two straps cinch down flush and they slide out to hold a large bit. Your helmet can be buckled to those just as easily.

I sent an email to Camelbak saying they were wasting their efforts by not posting pics on site or in the tag showing all the variations on how to hold gear to that pack. If you are a caribener nut, you can even overload it in such a ridiculous fashion.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
all of these backpacks are only good for local shuttling, not resort riding...
you ever ridden in the Alpine resorts of Europe? They can stretch between a dozen or so villages and valleys. You might not finish the day in the same town, or even country you started off in. Transition between these valleys can require a bit of pedalling. A bag to haul around stuff you might leave at your hotel room in Whistler is almost a requirement in the Alps (basic toolkit, tubes, windbreaker, water and a snack), otherwise you might be a few miles from the nearest town.

I once had to coast/push between Les Gets and Morzine for about 5 miles when the freehub exploded on my rental bike. A tool kit wouldn't have helped me, but a bit of water and a granola bar or two sure would have been nice.

you are clearly missing the sarcasm here. its a backpack dude, there are no features that make it a 'resort' backpack versus a regular riding backpack that we all use on a regular basis. unless, of course, you have a separate backpack for every place you ride, then i'll stand corrected...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
you are clearly missing the sarcasm here. its a backpack dude, there are no features that make it a 'resort' backpack versus a regular riding backpack that we all use on a regular basis. unless, of course, you have a separate backpack for every place you ride, then i'll stand corrected...
What is wrong with ridemonkey lately? Are we to go back to grunts and stop naming things because it's uncool? I had to give it some name. Light backpack to use on my downhill bike in alpine bikeparks was a bit long for a topic

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If I am riding with backpack, I let my spine protector at home just because it feels awkward. I wear the protection jacket and have the backpack as "protector".
It just feels far better to have the backpack right on your skin.
If you feel the same about that I'd highly recommend the Evoc route, just because you're a guy who is serious about protection.
My 2 cents.
And yes, the Dakine packs are awesome, but they don't come with spine protection.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I am curious to try elbows + back protector instead of full steamy body armor sauna so the backpack would be a nice option

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
With shipping it will cost around the same as the camelback while it is quite big at 20l. Thanks for the link though. When I kill my bigger pack for trail riding it may be a thing to get

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
With shipping it will cost around the same as the camelback while it is quite big at 20l. Thanks for the link though. When I kill my bigger pack for trail riding it may be a thing to get
Shipping? Ship to store is the way to get REI stuff. No charge for that method. But then I assume Poland is lacking in REI branches.