Quantcast

Backpackers ... whatdya drink on the trail?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've got these handy 6oz Nalgene flasks that [empty] weigh next to nothing. We're about to go on a trip this weekend and I'm bringing along something brown and 101 proof. Wowza!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
macko said:
I've got these handy 6oz Nalgene flasks that [empty] weigh next to nothing. We're about to go on a trip this weekend and I'm bringing along something brown and 101 proof. Wowza!

Mmmmm....Wild turkey......

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I drink filtered water with some cytomax.

As for getting wasted, well, weed weighs a lot less than alcohol. And if your goal is to get wasted on alcohol, why not 151? heck, if you come up on a bear, it makes a useful molitov bomb too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wild Turkey or Jim Beam. I don't puss out with little 6oz flasks, I like to start off with a full 32oz nalgene of the stuff.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Westy said:
I don't puss out with little 6oz flasks, I like to start off with a full 32oz nalgene of the stuff.
I like to use an empty bladder of Box-o-Wine, lighter & more capacity.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Water, either filtered or if I'm feeling brave -straight from the ground, Emergen-c, Fruit punch flavored koolaid (yes I drink the koolaid), lemon-lime gatoraide.

Liquor, not so much.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I guess I should have specified ... what do ya drink around the campfire? I don't know anyone who drinks liquor while they're hiking.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Traditionally I've taken wild turkey backpacking for cocktail hour. Rum is nice 'cause you can mix it with OJ or gator-aide. Peppermint schnapps is nice, too, and very tasty in hot cocoa.

A better choice than the nalgene bottle is a Sigg brand fuel bottle. They have a liner so the contents don't react with the metal of the bottle, nor do they impart the nalgene taste. Gotta be a Sigg, thought; the MSR bottles that look similar aren't beverage safe, as they lack the liner.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
SkaredShtles said:
I always drink water on backpacking trips.

I don't get f**ked up, since usually I'm somewhere fantastic. It seems like it would be a waste to experience it drunk. :p

:nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

I disolve a bunch of meth into my camelback.

Helps keep down the wieght of carrying food.

Also helps me keep the great outdoors clean.......so dusty out there.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
MancilG said:
watered down Gatorade
Watered down Gatorade and add a Redbull or 2.

On long hikes or rides I fill the camel pack bladder with ice. Then add 1/2 water, 1/4 Gatorade, and 2 Redbulls. It last me an entire day. After a 10-12 hour day there is usually a few ice cubes left. Oh so perfect. :)

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
jdschall said:
Water, either filtered or if I'm feeling brave -straight from the ground, Emergen-c, Fruit punch flavored koolaid (yes I drink the koolaid), lemon-lime gatoraide.

Liquor, not so much.
Emergen-c is powdered insanity. Enough B vitamins to kill small animals.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Last time I hiked somewhere and stayed overnight (rare) my buddy and I both hiked in a 6 pack of glass stubies. It did add a bit of weight, but they all survived the hike and it was kinda cool having real beer whilst everyone else was huddled round a couple of shared minatures. No pain no gain.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'm not a huge hike and drinker, but some nips around the fire is a nice way to hang out. Jagermeister is what I generally prefer though, I really never drink the stuff outside of camping but for some reason it goes great with camping imo.