Quantcast

Backyard bliss, or MY own f'ing jumps!

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
we starting cutting trails instead. chuck, jason, my neighbor, and i cut for about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs and got a surprising amount done. the section coming out of the last table is going to be a series of continuous turns...probably upwards of a dozen or more, can't wait!

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
so...plan to cut trails sat and sun (i'll be starting pretty early both day). lemme know if'n y'all can make it out and we'll fire up the grille again. with dry weather all week (fingers crossed) the jump line should be rideable by then.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I am out until the 20th. Mom is in town this weekend, so I am down on this side.

So you're putting in turns, are we putting in jumps/rollers in this line?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Like I was saying, berm to flat to double to flat to berm.

Think dual slalom, I can practice there

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Something like this down through your woods. Your kind of jumps, good flow meet some loft, with a whole lot of speeeeeedddddd. I can use it to train, it'll be huge.

By the way, you're racing this year, just thought I'd let you know.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
holy shiznit...wait till y'all see THIS log ride!!!
entrance at top of hill/back of yard

little further into the entrance, if you look to the right you can see part of the trail that has been cut already

little further down hill, getting closer to the log

right up on it now

camera right down on it looking up

side view

towards the top

at the top looking down

HOT DAMN i can NOT wait to hit this mofo...

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
the problem is that the area just below the middle of the soon-to-be logride is not solid ground and prone to flooding (might have something to do with being part of a water shed) so i want to go old school BC/North Shore like and stay off the wet shizzle. i have every intention of milking mother natures gravity goodness where ever i can. does you rotund status have anything to do with FOTS (not fats) Fear Of The Skinny?!?!? :nuts:
i just dont understand how you can not see the bad a$$ potential it has to offer?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I like wood just as much as the next man, but I am moving into that "purpose driven" section of my season. Back on the road bike, off the booze, living in the gym and from time to time HST, so if I can augment that training by building a specialized trail, then you know that's how I'm rolling.

But you have this strange "wood fetish...."

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
I seee it. Just make sure you brace that bugger up, bouncy log rides scare me.
funny you mention that, there is a ride at ipswitch we call the diving board. basically it's cantilevered and the exit is unsupported e.g. the diving board effect as you ride off. its not so bad with one rider, but when you have multiple riders the #2 rider is in for a hellava ride...damn its fun though.

we cut a quite a bit more singletrack, there are some very nice swithcbacks in the making, as well as some real swoopy, continuously turning sections.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So what is the plan now that you and James are busted up?
Are we getting back to the building any time soon?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
calcaneal fracture
surgery
plate w/10 screws in it
follow up appt next thurs
have to keep heel above heart
haven't been online at all...obviously
y'all are welcome to come out and build the dirt still needs to get moved.
give me a buzz
later

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
thanks man i appreciate it
i have no idea how long the healing will take, doc was in surgery all day after my surgery so i never got a post op debrief. i'll know about more about the prognosis at my follow up appt. id guess 12 weeks min...so
got hurt 1/12...4/12 i.e. mid april. i had plans of doing an adventure race but i'll certainly not be in shape for it now...damnit.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Adam I'll be glad to come out and help sometime. I do have some other building committments though and so it may be awhile before I can get out there. Building a DJ trail here on the Peninsula and supposed to help Ian build a pumptrack in his backyard this coming weekend. I'll let ya know when the timing opens.
Glad you're up and walking around now.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
the swelling was actually more in my ankle than my heel. the heel became more like a protrusion because of the direction/magnitude of the break. do yourself a favor and don't hurry back. you never realize how important your heel is until you can't bear weight on it.

edit
the other thing i found out, due to location, i.e. it's at the extremity of your body....KEEP IT ELEVATED!!!! i've always known it is important to elevate, but this was the first time i hurt my heel and with the natural difficulty of circulation that you already have, blood can really pool at the sight of the injury so KEEP IT ELEVATED!!!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
the swelling was actually more in my ankle than my heel. the heel became more like a protrusion because of the direction/magnitude of the break. do yourself a favor and don't hurry back. you never realize how important your heel is until you can't bear weight on it.

edit
the other thing i found out, due to location, i.e. it's at the extremity of your body....KEEP IT ELEVATED!!!! i've always known it is important to elevate, but this was the first time i hurt my heel and with the natural difficulty of circulation that you already have, blood can really pool at the sight of the injury so KEEP IT ELEVATED!!!
I'm sketching now. Wisp race on the 15th, this better just be bruising :disgust1:

Dec 3, 2006
WB
I tore my right rotator cuff on Sunday. Nose cased a double and augered my shoulder in from about 6 or so feet up. Lucky I didn't destroy my ACL or break my clavicle.
So I won't be able to come out for who knows how long. We'll see how the recovery goes.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Thanks for the sentiment guys.
I nose-cased one of our new doubles out at Gatewood. Got launched over the bars and flew straight to flat. No smooth transition to slow the fall. All shoulder into the hardpack.
The prognosis is good though. No surgery needed. Just physical therapy. My physical therapist and I have a very good relationship. I just finished up putting her daughter thru William and Mary, so I guess I'll start working on sending her son thru the college of his choice.
I'm hoping to be back on my bike in about ten days. Otherwise I'll be pretty pissed. I'm already gonna miss Go Skate Day on the 21st.
But I wouldn't say I'll be missing the heat:)

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
Update:
had some folks over this past sunday and now have a complete xc loop ~1 mile long?...dunno as i don't have a cyclo computer.
a friend cooked an AMAZING dinner as part of a 2 pronged bribery for sweat equity, the other half being the frosted hops flavored stuff.
have plans to cut more xc, finish up the djs, and build some more tech features. lemme know when y'all can come help!
pics to follow shortly.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
new addition to log ride
jason chiseling out a slot for runner

adding decking

finished product

another shot

long view

action shot, my pup blue running beside me

stoppy

casualty of war and why xc saddles dont work for freeride (and fat a$$es)