Quantcast

Baggies

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
stephanie said:
seriously, some companies have tried to do the girl thing (she-beest, dirty girls, etc), and while they've done an okay job, i just don't like "girly" colors and designs on my riding clothes:nope:
Now I'm just the opposite and would love to have a ton of pink, purple, and baby blue riding gear! I just find the irony hysterical...a cute pink flowered jersey so you can go out and rip it up and dirty as hell :D

I think it's crazy that I can order men's biking/mx clothing with more accuracy then I can women's biking/mx clothing. It seems the men's clothing is cut much more consistently, and all the women's clothing is making it up from scratch and throwing a dart on a board to guess the size/cut. That's actually one of the things that stops me from getting some of the stuff that is currently out there. No shops really carry it, so you can't go try it on, and fit is so damn unreliable that I don't want to have to keep sending stuff back.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
stephanie said:
guy #1: "well my acrylic-fingernails-fake-boobs-can't-ride-a-bike-size-0-girlfriend looks so hot in her short shorts."

guy #2: "dude, then...we'll take our guy's shorts, make them a 4"-inseam, and have her try them on...and then drop a pencil on the ground and see if she'll pick it up".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you are correct.

another thing that has been mentioned on here is the stunning vast array of pastels and flowers.

I like pink and all, but don't want flowers on it.....

my bf and I started photochopping 'cutesy' jerseys last year... there was one with a bunch of puppies on the front (puh-lease), so we decapitated them and put blood all over the shirt. Not that I am into any sort of violence, I just think it would be nice if the designers would pull their heads out of their @sses .

We should come up with some designs.
Something that is kinda feminine, but is actually wearable (insert 4" inseam here).

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
MudGrrl said:

I think you are correct.

another thing that has been mentioned on here is the stunning vast array of pastels and flowers.

I like pink and all, but don't want flowers on it.....

my bf and I started photochopping 'cutesy' jerseys last year... there was one with a bunch of puppies on the front (puh-lease), so we decapitated them and put blood all over the shirt. Not that I am into any sort of violence, I just think it would be nice if the designers would pull their heads out of their @sses .

We should come up with some designs.
Something that is kinda feminine, but is actually wearable (insert 4" inseam here).
puppies!?! are you serious?!?!

you have a sick sense of humor, and i like it!

i don't have a background in any sort of design, but i know that no dh girl i know is going to wear all that cutesy stuff. stylish: yes. cute and cuddly-wuddly: no.

i think we definitely need to come up with some cool ideas. you know what they say...if you don't like how someone is doing things, you should do it yourself.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Damn - I am pleased to see this discussion. I just started DH riding, but do a lot of 4cross and xc and I HATE women's cycling clothes (dorky flowers and pastel-color combinations that scream "I'm a girl, gosh darn it!"). I've been riding in a pair of durable board shorts. I recently heard about Harlot clothes (http://www.harlotwear.com/ I was thinking of trying them. I have a big butt (ok, ok muscular) and larger calves then most men, but a small waist. Anyone tried any of them?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I got the fox shorts in either an 30 or 32. I forget... I'm an 8/10. But they have belt loops on them, so going up a size wouldn't hurt. I love the way the shorts fit. So cozy. And they look lovely. But the material isn't super burly. Just a little warning.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
mohshee said:
Damn - I am pleased to see this discussion. I just started DH riding, but do a lot of 4cross and xc and I HATE women's cycling clothes (dorky flowers and pastel-color combinations that scream "I'm a girl, gosh darn it!"). I've been riding in a pair of durable board shorts. I recently heard about Harlot clothes (http://www.harlotwear.com/ I was thinking of trying them. I have a big butt (ok, ok muscular) and larger calves then most men, but a small waist. Anyone tried any of them?
A woman I know bought a pair and I almost bought a pair, but when I saw hers, I didn't like them as much as I did online. They still look kinda tight and girly and the material didn't look too durable. I think they'd be okay for XC riding.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
mohshee said:
are you my clone:)? i saw the harlot booth at sea otter, and i really liked their designs, but i was low on cash (so i didn't buy anything).

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
I just started riding with Reef boardshorts. i know it sounds crazy, but they are my favorite shorts for DHing and trail riding. they have a few models with a 4 way stretch that is super durable - not like the thin polyester ones. I put a pair of lycra under for the trail and my pads under for DH. I used to ride with adidas, troy lee, and fox. I know it sounds crazy, but the Reef ones are awesome for riding. They are mens but they fit fine for gals too. The 2 girls on my team ride with them too. Wow, this sounds like a commercial.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
well, i ordered the charcoal/pinstripe fox shorts in 30" yesterday, and they showed up today, even though i had it shipped ground (okay, i'm in cali which is where pricepoint is located, but damn that was fast).

i tried them on...waist fits great. leg width is a wee bit smaller than i would like, but it's okay. they just aren't as roomy as my TLD, so it'll take a little getting used to.

all in all, a good deal, and they look really cool. pricepoint seems to be the way to go!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
For DH, I always wore Azonic DH shorts, lots of coverage but like almost all DH shorts, no liner and made for men. I am quite the seamstress though and have altered a lot of DH gear to fit me better. I would just wear a really nice pair of XC shorts underneath.

For XC and Super D, I am wear the specialized women's baggies. However, I don't like the liner shorts as I am really picky so I cut out the liner and still wear my own preferred XC shorts. Some might not be as picky as me though. The specialized shorts are made of a really nice thick stretchy (yes!! Stretchy!) nylon, hold up really well to crashing and gratting across the ground, and are actually cut to accomodate the fact that most female cyclist have thigh muscles. They tend to fall mid to 3/4 down the thigh, which for xc or super d is more than enough coverage. I wouldn't wear them for DH, but for all other types of trail riding they rock. They also come in basic black with gray piping, not some horrific pink butterfly pattern!

Here's a link:

http://www.specializedbikes.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=13477&ti_sprd_ses=jdn$j=IBE:1009:IBEGUEST:US::USD:DD-MON-RRRR:JTFUCSS.CSS:jtfpfalse:jtfpi-1:671:22372:0:19108579~zv=19108579~zs=t~zp=1025~zo=-1~zm=10080~ses=346048662DA7A30DB8523173A872FF11~zj=Guest~zi=1025~ze=22372~za=1023~jsm=JTF_FULLSESSION

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SuperKat said:
I like this thread because all my feelings on women's shorts were addressed somewhere. I usually go with FOX, but the last pair of Mid-Ranger shorts I ordered ripped (again) while I was pulling them on. I went with the Azonics I saw on sale here:

http://www.ecyclingstore.com/fs_show_item_details.php?item_id=545&search=shorts&pg=&site_section=&secpg=

I'll let you know how they are when they arrive.
I was thinking about a pair of these for Super D/trail riding. I'm sponsored by Azonic and these are about the only light weight shorts they make that don't go past my knees! I would love to know what you think of them as soon as you get them!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i'm splurging on a second pair of shorts this season:

i'll let you know how the fit when they come here.

i already know how sanjuro feels about them. he thinks i can only wear them sporting a studded white belt while drinking beers with my bros.
but what does he know about style?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I just got some Louis Garneau shorts and they seem to fit pretty well for XC.

The link to those Azonic shorts looks like a great deal too. I have a pair for DH/Freeriding that I love (unpadded) so maybe I will get some of those too.

I have a pair of Trek Baggies (I think they were given to me as a gift) that aren't great. They fit will (actually run a little large) but the chamois is awful.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
those are great shorts! the only thing I found is that i prefer to have some sort of a pocket, and the moto shorts have pockets.

on the subject of the fox shorts...i love them! i've riddent them once to ride and once just for casual clothing. have gotten numerous complements on them for both applications. i was thinking of getting the tan ones just to have a second pair.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
stephanie said:
what size are they? if they are 30s i might be willing to buy them from you :) (if you want to sell them)
No, I stupidly ordered 32's. A belt wouldn't even help. Anyone want a pair of 32's?

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
mohshee said:
ok i am a convert!! I just picked up a pair of these TLD shorts on sale:
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1730_28_-04-Troy-Lee-Designs-Sprint-Short.htm

and they fit like a glove! Not too high wasted, nor too low that my a$$ sticks out, the inseam is perfect and the length falls right at my kneecap.
I just got these short yesterday and they are perfect! Not too tight, not too baggie....just perfect. They sit low on my waist and they fit great in the butt (meaning they don't make me look like I'm wearing a diaper). Think I'll get another pair :)

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
weimie said:
I just got these short yesterday and they are perfect! Not too tight, not too baggie....just perfect. They sit low on my waist and they fit great in the butt (meaning they don't make me look like I'm wearing a diaper). Think I'll get another pair :)
Hey Kim, do these shorts have a pocket? I'm thinking of getting a pair but I really hate being without a pocket - gotta carry the lip balm!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi gals, I think the way to go is to wear some good liners with padding and wear board shorts or something over the top. My favorite retailer is Pearl Izumi. Check 'em out...

www.pearlizumi.com

They have some baggier shorts but I have not tried them yet.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Nice! Those will be great for Sun Peaks!! Long shorts really are a must for DH--ing. Not only for protection but if its muddy and wet--they protect from skin chafing. Ouch!

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
redFoxx said:
Hey Kim, do these shorts have a pocket? I'm thinking of getting a pair but I really hate being without a pocket - gotta carry the lip balm!
Unfortunately no pockets on them. Luckily I have a small pocket on my body armor. Make someone else carry your stuff :) The shorts are long also....they go below my knee.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
redFoxx said:
Well I went ahead and got these:
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1283_28_-Troy-Lee-Designs-Moto-Shorts.htm

I decided to go with the moto shorts as they are longer and I know they have pockets. Um, only problem is that they only had the Camo in my size... oh well, that fits with my White Trash theme going (I have the Trail-or-Park Transition).

my favorites!!!!! too bad my team wears the new 06 motos in bright green camo!!! doesn't that defeat the whole notion of camouflage? :rolleyes:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I have a couple pairs of Thor Static MX pants (with zip off legs that turn into short) for DH. (Nice because I can put the legs back on for moto.) My husband just got those exact TLD shorts a couple weeks ago or I'd buy a pair for myself. They're pretty nice.

I've found that Cannondale makes baggies that actually are true to size for XC shorts. I was getting PISSED trying on shorts in a L or XL that wouldn't even go around a leg. I ride, dammit and I have muscles on my legs and butt! Why do I need to wear XL Oakley shorts when I fit into size 8 jeans?? On what planet is an XL equal to an 8?

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
I also wear the Azonic Rhythmn shorts for all around DH riding

I wear dry fit boys cut underwear under my DH shorts. Since you don't sit down much, I find that a chamois is not needed and also uncomfortable. :)

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Yay, I got my Troy Lee Moto camo shorts yesterday. They are so burly with huge zippers and big snaps. Tougher material than the Fox Huck shorts. Zippered pockets. And long, shouldn't be inching upwards...

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
This is a rant about the customer service/policies of Bluesky Cycling out of California.:mad: :mad:

I recently bought the Troy Lee Moto shorts everyone was talking about, yet after the second washing the stitching on the seam was unraveling and the seam is hanging down. I called Bluesky this morning and was told, well, they shouldn't do that. When I inquired how reimbursement for shipping would be handled, they said it wasn't their policy to do so, even though this is a defective product. However, they relented when I protested and said they'd refund me. Then, if I wanted a replacement short, they were going to charge me shipping! How stupid is that? So basically the only thing I would do is get a refund to avoid that - good policy?

One thing I know is I won't be ordering from these guys again. I've decided to do the stitching myself and hope the rest of the short holds up.

Anyone else have any problems with these shorts holding up?