Quantcast

Baggy shorts

well if I'm doing that DH clinic I guess I can't show up in my spandex!

I've always hated baggies. They are either too short or they get caught on my seat. BLAH.

I'm only 5'2" and a size 10 - so find me good shorts - not too expensive!

btw, I have lots of time this afternoon - I'm in the hospital waiting room while mom has a cyst removed. JOY.

So let's SHOP!

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I only buy men's in size 30. That way I get the lenth that I want and the sizing is dependable. So I can buy a variety of baggies (from board shorts to Roach to Troy Lee). The leg length might be too long on you though if you're just 5'2"....

Sombrio seems to have decent women's baggies but in general, I want nothing to do with the women's bike clothes. Definitely the ones you have are too short if they hook onto your seat or show much skin. At least if you are going on to DH'ing....

Baggies over lycra are the only way to go!!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
As much as I'd like to ride with her more, it really isn't her thing. She gets out in the dirt 1-2 times a season but otherwise sticks to the bike path and streets on her cruiser. I do those rides with her if I'm not out falling off of my bike in the woods though.

Y

yadadada

I'm probably one of the few who actually likes spandex. Baggy shorts usually don't have as much padding as a nice pair of spandex. However I do have some board shorts (guys) that I wear over spandex for some rides. I'm 5' 10" so women's are never long enough on me. Board shorts might be the way to go if you're trying to conserve $$ because they are so much cheaper ($20-30 instead of $60-120), and you probably already have lots of spandex. For the clinic I'll probably just wear board shorts over spandex. But thanks for the post! I might've accidentally shown up in spandex!!! :poster_oops:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I'm probably one of the few who actually likes spandex. Baggy shorts usually don't have as much padding as a nice pair of spandex. However I do have some board shorts (guys) that I wear over spandex for some rides. I'm 5' 10" so women's are never long enough on me. Board shorts might be the way to go if you're trying to conserve $$ because they are so much cheaper ($20-30 instead of $60-120), and you probably already have lots of spandex. For the clinic I'll probably just wear board shorts over spandex. But thanks for the post! I might've accidentally shown up in spandex!!! :poster_oops:
Nothing wrong with spandex, just meant to be felt and not seen. :)
I don't buy baggies with pads in them, just wear the spandex under them as they will generally always have a better padding.

Another thing I like to wear which I am right now for a flow park session is some heavy cotton men's shorts, again, not too expensive. Board shorts tend to be lighter material so I will wear them xc riding and save the heavier material like the Troy Lee moto shorts and the jean shorts for DH'ing.

T

tronfnknblows

I only buy men's in size 30. That way I get the lenth that I want and the sizing is dependable. So I can buy a variety of baggies (from board shorts to Roach to Troy Lee). The leg length might be too long on you though if you're just 5'2"....

Sombrio seems to have decent women's baggies but in general, I want nothing to do with the women's bike clothes. Definitely the ones you have are too short if they hook onto your seat or show much skin. At least if you are going on to DH'ing....

Baggies over lycra are the only way to go!!

I totally agree w/ you redfoxx- I generally buy size 30 guys shorts, they're a bit on the big side but they're always adjustable and I can fit them over armor/padded shorts if need be. I do think sombrio might be a good place to look because I've seen some curvy girls wearing some of their clothes, especially their capri riding pants.

From MtnBikerChk's description, it sounds like the fox women's shorts will be too short. I've seen them on other girls and I really do not like the length.... It's nice to have shorts that go a bit beyond the top of your leg armor so you have a little bit more protection when you take a tumble.

From what it sounds like- I think Lady Gravity's suggestion may work the best for you. In general Race Face seems fairly priced, they sound like they will fit your body type, and they're a good option for DH style riding :) I would probably have more race face gear myself- except we don't have any dealers around me.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
i can't express how much i HATE women's riding clothes. Always too tight and too short. I'm built more like Xena with the calves and quads of Hulk combined with a ghetto booty. (Hey -- what can I say, I can squat and deadlift more then a lot of guys...)

Zoic's are off for me too. Men's Troy Lees in 30" or board shorts over lycra are the way to go. I've had some luck with the Harlot shorts (buy one size larger then normal, if you want to wear them over lycra).

T

tronfnknblows

I do think sombrio might be a good place to look because I've seen some curvy girls wearing some of their clothes, especially their capri riding pants.
I misspoke previously... I said Sombrio, but I meant Sugoi... I have had some Sombrio stuff and haven't had much luck w/ their fit. It seems like their models have no asses.... However, I do like what the company is trying to do (enviro friendly clothing) so I check back on their products every once in awhile. Anyway, I've seen some curvy girls with Sugio on...

Y

yadadada

i can't express how much i HATE women's riding clothes. Always too tight and too short. I'm built more like Xena with the calves and quads of Hulk combined with a ghetto booty. (Hey -- what can I say, I can squat and deadlift more then a lot of guys...)
I hear you on that. I have trouble finding regular clothing, much less bike clothing that fits over my quads. And I'm tall, so nothing womens fits me. I typically have to get mens M-L stuff. Women's jerseys are always too short and tight across the chest, and shorts/pants either fit in the thigh but the waist is too big, or I can't even get them up over my thighs. *Sigh* I guess it's a good thing that I don't like girly stuff (anything pink or flowery).

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
I misspoke previously... I said Sombrio, but I meant Sugoi... I have had some Sombrio stuff and haven't had much luck w/ their fit. It seems like their models have no asses.... However, I do like what the company is trying to do (enviro friendly clothing) so I check back on their products every once in awhile. Anyway, I've seen some curvy girls with Sugio on...
HA thank you, and here i thought it was just me. tried on some new sombrio women's shorts today - well they got the length right but yeah, they're going for chicks with no asses because it sure as hell didn't fit my backside (and i didn't figure i was that big....). and for some reason the lining is cut smaller than the outer fabric so it puckers everywhere. you'd think for something that sells for CDN$120 they'd put a little more effort into their r&d

T

tronfnknblows

HA thank you, and here i thought it was just me. tried on some new sombrio women's shorts today - well they got the length right but yeah, they're going for chicks with no asses because it sure as hell didn't fit my backside (and i didn't figure i was that big....). and for some reason the lining is cut smaller than the outer fabric so it puckers everywhere. you'd think for something that sells for CDN$120 they'd put a little more effort into their r&d
that's funny- cause I actually was looking at a pair of sombrio shorts yesterday, just thought I'd give em' another chance, and sure enough they _still_ have no ass.... I don't know why they don't put more effort into the fit, I know that they are trying to be an environmentally friendly company- which is partially why they cost so much (they use eco-friendly alternatives for the cloth, stuff like that). You would think that if they care that much about what their stuff is made of, that they would also care how their stuff fits... I can't believe that there are enough girls out there w/ no bootie for them to continue w/ that fit..... but, what do I know- I'm just a girl...

T

tronfnknblows

well fwiw, i emailed sombrio with my comments (nicely of course). no response, and i dont really expect one, but at least they've got my 2 cents!
Sweet, I've been meaning to do that myself.... Maybe I will and then they'll know there are at least two girl who actually have @sses out there :) (Funny thing is I'm really not even a curvy girl, but I think you gotta be a stick to wear the Sombrio stuff)...

I think my next pair of shorts are going to be troy lee or azonic. I'd like some lighter shorts as well, since those two tend to be heavier, but I can't seem to find any that I like...

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
I often end up with guy's shorts because they are longer than women's. I wear Spandex underneath for the padding and wicking. I have had a lot of luck with non-biking shorts--they seem to do a good job and aren't as expensive and I can try them on as opposed to mail order them. I like my Columbia and my North Face shorts better than my Zoics. And I can't wait to try the pair of $2 men's cargo shorts my boyfriend bought for me at Goodwill. They fit perfectly over my padded downhill shorts.

Good luck!!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I have a pair of Sombrio shorts - they're the cutest shorts I've ever seen. I got them big enough that they just fit over my butt, but the waist tabs don't cinch quite tight enough to make the waist small enough for me. So yeah - the normal syndrome of too tight in the butt, too big in the waist....

T

tronfnknblows

Just bought these from my local shop. They are awesome, coming in two different lengths and being made locally:happydance:

http://www.spectrumtechwear.com/Threadworks/Shorts/MS/mistress.htm

Ahh, thanks Snacks... I kept trying to remember the name of the company, but all I could remember is the name of the shorts! The length is really great and the material feels nice. The only thing that prevented me from buying a pair was that the shop didn't have my size in stock.

FYI- for those of you in Seattle, Fluidride carries these.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Ahh, thanks Snacks... I kept trying to remember the name of the company, but all I could remember is the name of the shorts! The length is really great and the material feels nice. The only thing that prevented me from buying a pair was that the shop didn't have my size in stock.

FYI- for those of you in Seattle, Fluidride carries these.
After the 'test' ride yesterday the shorts get a 5 star rating :D After riding XC and DH for 5 years I have to say these are the most comfortable shorts I have ever worn! AND they fit correctly, no baggy but getting caught on the seat:happydance: Plus have pockets that zip!

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
I've had a hell of a time finding shorts also. I've been wearing a pair of fox moto shorts for years now, and they'r pertect, but that was a fluke finding them.
I can't believe no one has mentioned Harlot shorts!

http://www.harlotwear.com :banana:

The houlihan are the bomb! The waist AND leg fit, and i have the clasic biking figure, they are tougher then the other lightweight nylon shorts, and the perfect length.

I've tried pretty much every other womens short, and they're either to short and i get inner thigh chafe, or their too thin and they rip and are unprotective in a fall.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I've had a hell of a time finding shorts also. I've been wearing a pair of fox moto shorts for years now, and they'r pertect, but that was a fluke finding them.
I can't believe no one has mentioned Harlot shorts!

http://www.harlotwear.com :banana:

The houlihan are the bomb! The waist AND leg fit, and i have the clasic biking figure, they are tougher then the other lightweight nylon shorts, and the perfect length.

I've tried pretty much every other womens short, and they're either to short and i get inner thigh chafe, or their too thin and they rip and are unprotective in a fall.
I totally agree. They are probably the only company with shorts that I don't mind paying full price. Totally worth every penny.