Quantcast

Balfa BB7 ye or ne?

Ian - AE86

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Hi guys,

just signed up after reading this...im going to look at a Balfa bb7 tonite myself and was wondering cud any of you tell me on what to look out for?? i live in Ireland and ive been told parts are available through the UK but is there anything in particular to keep an eye out for??

heres a copy of the ad on the site i found the bike: seems odd now since they went out of business in 03' how a 06' bike is available??

what color schemes for each year did they have so when i see it later i can distinguish what year it actually is!!

06 balfa bb7
full bike for sale.
boxxers,
hope discs,
truvative cranks,
blackspire device,
azonic bars,
michelin tires,
mavic rims,
goldtec hub.
all deadly stuff fitted!
sellin her to fund a trip to oz.
this thing has been used feck all and is in excellent condition.
gimme a call or msg if you wanna come and try it out.
im in dublin

€1400 o.n.o and its yours

what do you think guys?? i was also looking at a KONA Stinky but its for the same money and has Drop offs fitted?? not keen on them and the Balfa is a tougher THRASH ME kinda bike!!

Cheers,
Ian.

konarider98

Chimp
Mar 14, 2005
Newburyport Ma.
the last frame year i have heard of was in late 04'. the newer models had one peice shock arm/shock mount rockers(pic) while the older ones, 00-03 had 2 arms for the rocker(pic) take a pic and post it up here if you can.

New

Old

Ian - AE86

Chimp
Sep 10, 2006
Cheers Dude!

Im goin to look at it tonite so il take some snaps and put em up?? is there anything too look out or be wary of on each model? is the older model a no go compared to the newer model or vice versa?

What year were the white bb7's??

Ian.

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
In response to the pics above, the lower pic is of a 2001 or earlier BB7 frame, the top one is of a 2003-2004 BB7 frame.

New re-designed linkage plates, rollers & axles are all available through Balfa UK.

So some of the swingarms broke, so did Intense M1 swingarms and more recently plenty of Specialized Demo's all cracked, crumpled or failed. Everything will break given time or plenty of abuse, its no big deal.
We will have replacement swingarms and main frames for all Balfa's for the forseable future. If its a repair then its even easier because Jerome at Appalache would be more than happy to take a look and repair your frames for a nominal fee regardless of age!!

J

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
The black one is a 2001, I had one. As well, I owned a 2000 and a 2002. If you are buying one, buy the '02 or newer. The older ones failed miserably. There were some simple fixes to alleviate the problems, but it came back.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
I have mine set up with a junior T, BMX cranks, and Sun S-Type wheels, and it weighs in just a hair under 40lbs. Bike works for me, I like it, despite only riding DH 3 or 4 times a year.
No it doesn't. I'm guessing 44-46lbs. Let's just say I had one with a Boxxer, XTR cranks, 521's and all lightish parts and it was 43-44lbs. BB7 frames were heavy.

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
Then again it could be called an 06 BB7.
Who ever decided that the frame age dated the whole bike?

06 parts on an brand new 04 frame, who's to say if its an 04 or an 06?

J

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
And my 07 Zocchi's are stamped 06 because thats when they were made. Doesnt make them a 2006 fork does it?

No it doesnt.
If the guy wants to call it an 06 bike then he's well within his rights to do so without everyone jumping on his back. If it was described as a 2004 then people would assume it was 2 years old when in reality the bike was built in 06 so is just a few months old.

J

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
And my 07 Zocchi's are stamped 06 because thats when they were made. Doesnt make them a 2006 fork does it?

No it doesnt.
If the guy wants to call it an 06 bike then he's well within his rights to do so without everyone jumping on his back. If it was described as a 2004 then people would assume it was 2 years old when in reality the bike was built in 06 so is just a few months old.

J
True. The only thing is that some people get confused because of the company not existing any more, that's why I would call it an 04 taken out in 06.