Quantcast

Banned!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
On my second ride on my new bike, I'm riding through Caltech. I stop to get a soda out of a machine and the security is on me like flies on S#IT! I've lived 3 blocks from Caltech for most my life (at least 15 years) and have ridden through innumerable times. They take down my "information" and tell me that if they catch me even just riding through again I'll be arrested. Granted they were cool and ****, but damn my luck! I've been riding there for YEARS! Security used to pass me by all the time without any guff...not my day.

M

M.W.

Wow, that's pretty crazy...

Lucky for me, the security at the UBC campus is absolutely USELESS!

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Wtf!'
Were you inside a building or something?

What are the rules there. On my old campus you could pretty much ride wherever you want. Dorms had bike holding rooms with locks and a guard, and people would click their way across shiny floors wearing spd shoes. Maybe its cause we were in the suburbs so lots of apartments were biking distance away, but that sounds pretty horrid.

Next time just say "could I please have your first and last name so I can sort this out" and they will think youre someone with some power. I believe they are required to give you the info, too. Its amazing what the power of suggestion can do.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Same thing happened to me a little while ago, except i didn't even have my bike with me. I was at the School of Mines and i was watching my friend ride sown this fire escape. I was in my car and i go to pull away and they pulled me over telling me they had witnesses that said i was the one that did it. I aske him if the witnesses could tell me where i put my bike cause i was sure that it was still at home in my garage. An administrator vouched for me. He said that i was just watching just like he was. That was very nice of him, but they said if i am ever caught on campus again on a bike then i will be arrested. I asked the guy if maybe this was a bit harsh since i didn't have a bike with me or anything and he just said "You are on my list"

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Were you riding on a BMX bike or a Mountain bike? At my local university, UCI, we ride street there all the time. The cops and security wont do a thing if we are on Mountain bikes but when we are on BMX bikes it's a whole other story

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Ir Dan
Were you riding on a BMX bike or a Mountain bike? At my local university, UCI, we ride street there all the time. The cops and security wont do a thing if we are on Mountain bikes but when we are on BMX bikes it's a whole other story

I was riding my BMX bike. What can a sercurity guard do legally? Can they detain you? If not could I just have taken off? They were a private security company hired by the university. They asked for all kinds of info including my social security number. I shoulda kept my mouth shut but hey I lied my a$$ off.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Dog Welder

I was riding my BMX bike. What can a sercurity guard do legally? Can they detain you? If not could I just have taken off? They were a private security company hired by the university. They asked for all kinds of info including my social security number. I shoulda kept my mouth shut but hey I lied my a$$ off.
Your SS#!!? that is wierd? I wouldn't give them that! I'd just ask them if anyone ever asked them for their SS# when they were getting a Soda.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Security guards can't do a damn thing but call a cop or something, you should have just split. They aren't legally allowed to hold or detain you. The SS# thing is rediculous.

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
NO ONE is legally allowed to ask you your ss# except the federal government. I used to work at the Internal Revenue Service and it was brought up many times. Technically not even a job is required to ask for it (though they can also legally not hire you for failing to give it to them)

Next time some rent-a-cop asks for your ss# you tell him that its against the law for him to ask that of you, hop on your bike and ride away.

Thats friggin absurd.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
On my second ride on my new bike, I'm riding through Caltech. I stop to get a soda out of a machine and the security is on me like flies on S#IT! I've lived 3 blocks from Caltech for most my life (at least 15 years) and have ridden through innumerable times. They take down my "information" and tell me that if they catch me even just riding through again I'll be arrested. Granted they were cool and ****, but damn my luck! I've been riding there for YEARS! Security used to pass me by all the time without any guff...not my day.
haha nice title...I thought we had lost you bro....we need to get a street ride going.....D

AzOnIc

Chimp
Jun 12, 2002
Peterborough Ontario
unfortunatly some security guards are tards... they think they actually amount to something... the sad part is, is that they can inforce if they don't want you there... but taking your SS# is just weird..

I have trouble with security guards too, but I just leave when I see them so I dont have to put up with their crap... A friend of mine was banned for 1 year for riding on the mall's property.. The funny thing is that I have been riding in that same place soo many times, and even if we go at like 2am some wanker security guard comes and yells at us...

We got to know the one guy, his name was Dick.. it was fun makin fun of him!

Do not ever give you SS out. even to a police officer. you have the right to say no. they can not do a thing and if they start to give you crap, tell them to call the police. SS numbers are a way that a rentacop can do bad things after work, gain access to everything about you, and you never know he might just be some guy in a halloween costume.

Or just lie like you did. then get someone else in trouble:D

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Rent-a-cops are a joke. They can ban you from the property but they have to call a real cop to enforce it. The really scary thing is seeing one with a gun!!!!!:eek:
I arrested one once for knocking a kid off his bike and handcuffing him. It was around 2am and the lot is empty, this kid was just riding across to get to the riding spot in down town, this dick jumps out knocks the kid off his bike and handcuffs him! Telling him he is under arrest! He calls 911 claiming he has a burglary suspect in custody. I get there listen to this clown talk smack, have him remove the cuffs, and arrest him for simple battery. :D
As I'm booking him he remembers where he has seen me before...
he threatened me and some of the guys I ride with in the same lot a week before, hehehe:devil:
doomonyou Mr Rent-a-cop hahaha

I do miss moments like that from the job. But they can keep the rest!

WB

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
rode through a shopping mall to jump some steps right behind a rent-a-cops back and he didnt give a t0ss

dont u just love automatic sliding doors :cool:

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
HAHAHA, thats classic. I can remember times that we will be riding somewhere and a security guard comes to hassle us and he calls the cops and all the cop does is yell at him.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
LOL, yea I knew if the call came from "security" then it was going tobe a waste of time.

On the other hand, I have delt with some bouncers at some "Hip Hop" clubs that would have been safer stationed in Lebanon!!! If those guys called we all came running!

Ride hard guys!
WB

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
was well funy today
we went riding street and busted tehse stair sets in teh middle a shopping mall and we did this like 3 times till teh rent a cop told us not to tehn we rode down teh escalator coz no1 said we werent allowed to do that :rolleyes: then when we got bscrewed at for that we started having dual races through teh shopping centre till we got told off tehn we went home for our dinner:D :blah:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Woggle Bear
Rent-a-cops are a joke. They can ban you from the property but they have to call a real cop to enforce it. The really scary thing is seeing one with a gun!!!!!:eek:
I arrested one once for knocking a kid off his bike and handcuffing him. It was around 2am and the lot is empty, this kid was just riding across to get to the riding spot in down town, this dick jumps out knocks the kid off his bike and handcuffs him! Telling him he is under arrest! He calls 911 claiming he has a burglary suspect in custody. I get there listen to this clown talk smack, have him remove the cuffs, and arrest him for simple battery. :D
As I'm booking him he remembers where he has seen me before...
he threatened me and some of the guys I ride with in the same lot a week before, hehehe:devil:
doomonyou Mr Rent-a-cop hahaha

I do miss moments like that from the job. But they can keep the rest!

WB
Cool!!!! A cop that rides BMX...bad ass. I've always wondered what real cops felt about Rent-a-cops. So what do you guys think of them?

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
I'm sure there are some out there that try to do a good job, but...

Alot seem to have "little mans" syndrome (alot of cops do too), and tend to hassle people they know will not be able to stomp their ass. It's like they got picked on as a kid and now "everyone has to pay!".
I really did not care for them too much, most of the time they were a constant source of trouble. But I really don't care for many cops out there either, for the same reason. They think the badge is a license to f__k with people. They just take their selves way too seriously. haha

Ride hard guys!
WB