Quantcast

bar height?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I am going to get higher bars for my bike soon is there such thing as to high?? I ride dirtbikes alot and when I am on th mtb it seems like the rider position is off to me and the bars should be a lot taller..what am I missing?? The downhill and freestyle bikes look 10 times more comfortable..

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
what kind of bike do you ride
You can change the bars out to what ever feel comfortable.
i think you van get bars all the way up to 2.5 inch rise and you may be able to get bigger rises im not sure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If high hand position was the only key to mtn biking, we all would be riding this:

But there are a couple big differences between motorcycle hand position and mtn bikes.

First thing is climbing. We have to weigh down the front end of our bikes during ascents or we would wheelie backwards. Lower hand position is obviously the key here.

Also the center of gravity is much higher on a bike than a motorcycle, so being bent over a little helps to lower the center.

You can get 3-5 inch riser bars, but they are heavier and flexier than the typical riser.

However, you are more upright on a bike with a 6-8 travel fork, and I have heard of mx'ers preferring a hand position closer to their dirt bikes. However, there are some obvious disadvantages to pedalling a DH bike on most trails!

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
If your bar is too high, you will also actually have some problems cornering when descending. You may want to adjust your height, but see if your bike setup grows on you.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
It really depends on the type of riding you do. Do you ride trails? Commute? Pedal around town? Leisurely rides to the bagel/coffee place? The more leisurely your riding is, the less it matters about position on the bike - all you need to worry about is being comfortable. The more aggressive you are on your bike, the more you should stick with (or at least close to) what the bike came with stock so your body position doesn't change much.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I ride all trails the more technical the better....it just seems like I am more bent over than I should be??..but now that I think about it it does not seem as bad when I am going at a good pace down a hill or over obstacles..more when you get to easy stuff and your just pedaling..my back never bothers me and I don't want it to start....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, list the specs of your bike, particularily top tube and stem length. A picture would also be helpful.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
A good starting place is the top of your bars even with the top of seat. More DH -- bars higher than seat. More racer -- bars lower than seat.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
sanjuro said:
Well, list the specs of your bike, particularily top tube and stem length. A picture would also be helpful.
I know the specs of my bike about as good as I know the specs of the space shuttle.... did mention I was new to the sport ???...the bars are about even with the seat..I was looking around nashbar or somewhere and saw bars with a 2" rise mine are probably 1" so that is what made me think to ask..a friend of mine is thinking about buying a bike and he showed me something similar to the picture above...that bike looks comfortable...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ktmsx said:
I know the specs of my bike about as good as I know the specs of the space shuttle.... did mention I was new to the sport ???...the bars are about even with the seat..I was looking around nashbar or somewhere and saw bars with a 2" rise mine are probably 1" so that is what made me think to ask..a friend of mine is thinking about buying a bike and he showed me something similar to the picture above...that bike looks comfortable...
Well, newbies will end up on badly fitting bikes when they first start. You could be on the wrong size, or have a stem which is too long.

How about this, what kind of bike is it and do you know its size?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
18" motobecane 600 ds...I think the bike is a good fit...I have not changed anything yet...everything else feels good...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ktmsx said:
18" motobecane 600 ds...I think the bike is a good fit...I have not changed anything yet...everything else feels good...
Well, if this is your bike:

I think you better just ride it. The bars are about the saddle height and if your bike is set up the same way, you don't want to be any higher.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
you talk about bikes not fitting good ..I want to give this one to my daughter and get another one at somepoint...