Quantcast

BB30 adapters

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Has anyone used a BB30 to standard spindle adapter? They press into the BB30 BB. I'm going to be riding Ridley X-Fires this year and I bought one pair of BB30 cranks and I'd prefer to not drop cash on another for my pit bike. I think even with the adapter the Q factor will still be alright since the Ridley's have a very narrow BB this year.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I prefer to stick with the sleeve that presses into the frame (SRAM/ FSA/ Cannondale). No creaks, removable.

I have used the Wheels Manufacturing kind that press into the BB30 bearings, but tolerances on those seem to be slightly off, which leads to a slight be of side-to-side play in the cranks (unless you can find a proper wavy washer).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dustin-
I've got some PFbb30 prototypes showing up here in the next few days. As someone who has probabally installed tons of PF30 cranks and adapters do you have any comments or insights into the care and feeding of this new variable?

Bikes!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Nope, not really. They're quite nice to deal with, compared to BB30. I do use a very thin layer of grease to help press them in, but that's it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I prefer to stick with the sleeve that presses into the frame (SRAM/ FSA/ Cannondale). No creaks, removable.

I have used the Wheels Manufacturing kind that press into the BB30 bearings, but tolerances on those seem to be slightly off, which leads to a slight be of side-to-side play in the cranks (unless you can find a proper wavy washer).
Like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Focustek-BB-BB30-Adapter-Converter-BB24-Crankset-Road-/370532238691?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5645714563

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey ire, check out the Enduro adapters too. They look pretty good. What cranks will you be using? It seems like the tolerance issue with the Wheels Mfg. adapters would be a non-issue with Shimano cranks because you control the preload on the bearings.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Hey ire, check out the Enduro adapters too. They look pretty good. What cranks will you be using? It seems like the tolerance issue with the Wheels Mfg. adapters would be a non-issue with Shimano cranks because you control the preload on the bearings.
Unfortunately I'll be using FSA SLK which are single key. I'll check out the Enduro adapters

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Has anyone used a BB30 to standard spindle adapter? They press into the BB30 BB. I'm going to be riding Ridley X-Fires this year and I bought one pair of BB30 cranks and I'd prefer to not drop cash on another for my pit bike. I think even with the adapter the Q factor will still be alright since the Ridley's have a very narrow BB this year.
I hear the Problem Solver adapters work well but the Wheels Mfg ones are problematic.