Quantcast

Beech Mountain Race Dates 2012

beechmtndh

Monkey
Jun 5, 2010
So, I am sure most of you are thinking, its about time, or something to that effect. We are doing some work to our main lift, which has played into our scheduling delay, and for that I do apologize. It seems that the lift will now be ready by the beginning of June. I pasted the release below including our race dates.
We do have plans of opening on a more permanent basis, and resort management seems pretty positive on summer operations. When we release more dates for summer I will let everyone know. We would like to see more trails before we open every weekend. It looks pretty promising for 2013 operations, as well as late season dates for 2012. As soon as I get more information I will post. My email is tfreeman@skibeech.com if anyone has any questions.
You should see our website live and all information regarding nationals posted on April 16.
Thanks, T

In September of 2011, Beech Mountain Resort Inc. was the first resort in the Southeast to host USA Cycling’s Mountain Bike Gravity National Championships. The success of the event spurred an interest in the cycling community, prompting resort management to further the progression of a lift-accessible mountain bike park. This summer, the resort plans to continue the expansion of a unique trail system with a strong focus on beginner terrain.

“We feel a beginner trail is needed to expand the terrain to offer a downhill facility for all skill levels,” says General Manager Ryan Costin. “We hope that with the construction phase this year, that will be accomplished.”

Christopher Herndon of Brevard, N.C. will return to oversee trail development and prepare the course for USA Cycling Mountain Bike Gravity Nationals Championships. The 2012 National Championship event will take place July 18-22.

Beech Mountain Resort has set additional dates for the much-anticipated Summer Mountain Bike Race Series. The events will occur on the weekends of June 16, August 18, and September 15. The two-day race weekends will offer dual slalom events on Saturday and downhill events on Sunday. The first race weekend, June 16, will serve as a qualifier for Nationals.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
So counting Nationals, there are going to be 4 more races at Beech this year with a DH and a Slalom at every event. All spread out perfectly. That = winning.
Thanks for all the effort!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My head just exploded...I'm not even sure which one. In short, HELL FVCKING YEAH, and I will try to attend every event.

Thanks to all who made this happen, it's now up to us to make it a long term success.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Any idea on the practice for DH? The wording leads me to believe the lift will be open on Saturday during the DS event for DH riding?

I dont want to assume, but if that is the case that sounds like a recipe for some fun weekends at Beech. I am going to need to look for some rental properties.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Talia , this is so great news. I am so glad to see Beech has made a true commitment to Gravity Riding. I and a few others here really enjoyed racing at Beech over the past 14 years. Lots of great times and memories. Glad to know this will continue and grow over the years.

Thanks again to Beech Mt and the Team that has made all this happen,

Cecil

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Just wondering, this more of a safety issue for the racers: over the years the "fans" and "hecklers" sections mainly in the most technical sections, such as "rock gardens" or large drop and jump areas, are encroaching more and more in the taped off course lines. Yes, the crowds are great to see, the music is good to hear and the way too much consumption of beer is enjoyable to do in the woods, but to interfere with the racers course and lines is a bit much while being very unsportsmanlike. Maybe it would be a good idea to place up some barrier tape line so the "dh hooligans" can mind their manners in such sections as stated above to keep them out of the line of the racer and then everyone is safe and enjoyment for themselves.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Different strokes for different folks I guess, but that's what make DH racing, well, DH racing. I love having fans screaming (or laughing in my case) in my ear, setting off cannon fireworks, spraying beer, etc...As long as they aren't physically grabbing the bike or something, the closer & louder the better in my book.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Saturday
8am Registration Opens
1:30 am registration closes
9am-1pm downhill practice

1-3pm DS practice
3:10 Riders Meeting DS
3:15 DS Qualifying
Race starts immediately after
Awards to Follow

Sunday
8am registration opens
11:30am registration closes
9-11:30 Downhill Practice
11:30 Riders Meeting
11:45 Race Starts
1pm Lift closes

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just wondering, this more of a safety issue for the racers: over the years the "fans" and "hecklers" sections mainly in the most technical sections, such as "rock gardens" or large drop and jump areas, are encroaching more and more in the taped off course lines.

I guess some people race for glory, while the rest race for the fun. Its Beech Mtn. Relax dude and have some fun.

Other awesome-ness

Which probably lead to this... NOT. The crowd was so awesome I just had to throttle up.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That always brings a smile to my face. I got paid back for that though. My last run down of the series I saw more moons that any one man should.

Those stupid spectators all inside the tape and whatnot with Zizka's classic "I HATE YOU" yell.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2010
Lafayette, La
Looks like I'll be going to this race after all. Long drive from Louisiana, but hell it's better than sitting on my butt right? Anyone need a ride? Pretty sure I'll have room. Coming from Lafayette, LA....if you're on the way pm me.

dirtinmyeye

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
Ok - this may be a dumb question - but I have never been to Beech. I am wondering if a downhill bike is necessary for this course for a kid who weighs around 110-115? I've got two boys racing and so far they have done well on a couple of heavy-duty XC bikes with a good bit of travel. What is the opinion of those who know Beech?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Depends on the skill level. The track is not super steep or super gnarly. Depends on what heavy duty means but, most people who aren't on DH bikes are on like 5-7 inch all mountain or freeride bikes.