Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Something else (specify)

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I was bored, and decided to crunch some numbers over the various options with beefy cranksets. Some people say Saint, others say BMX cranks, and then there's the option of RaceFace Diabolus as well.
BMX cranks are usually fairly cheap/relatively well priced, most have the option of euro (mtb) bottom bracket, and some have the option of a titanium axle as well.
So I'd like to base this comparison on a set of BMX cranks with Ti bottom bracket, which brings the cost up a bit, and drops the weight down.
From product specifications, Saint are a tad over 1kg, Diabolus are 1.2kg, and for this example, I weighed Primo Powerbites with Ti axle and they came in at 1.1kg, Profile Races are supposedly meant to weigh similar too. They all cost fairly similar too (in $aud at least), so since weight and price are close enough, what would make one option better than the other? And why would you choose that?

I've pretty much decided my crank choices, so don't think this is a fashion victim thread to choose what cranks would give me the most popularity, I'm just interested to see the poll results.

J

J5ive

SAINTS Rik. They just work.

My main issue with BMX type cranks is the constant bearing issues. Because theres such a small area for bearing you end up going though a set every couple of months, bearings are $15-20aud x 4 in some cranks. Adds up. Shimano has parts instock available overnight and they also have a 3 or is it 5? year warrenty.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Go with the saint, bmx cranks are heavy and as far as im concerned not necessary, they are also a pain in the ass with all the spaces once you start figuring in chainguides, i would go with the saints or even the shimano xt's, I am anti shimano but still love these setups (only part from japan i run). Goodluck

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
SuspectDevice said:
Out of all your options a pair of Profile mini race cranks with a ti spindle are going to be the lightest... and the most expensive...
Will the mini race stand up to DH level abuse? They look impressive on paper at least, the crank length options are plentiful. Those would seem to be the best option, but you're right, the $$ is a bit much.

Bearing issue is a good point, as the new outboard bearings are pretty good aren't they? And I don't see the spacer adjustment of BMX bottom brackets being an entirely bad thing, sure, it's fiddly, but you can easily adjust your chainline and Q factor to your desire.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
bmx cranks are heavy
Ahhh, ummm, not quite... difference is only 100g or so, not even (depending what model).

Anyway, as I said, I'm only asking out of interest, as I know what I'll be getting... all of the above ;) I have 3 bikes that all need new cranks, and I need something that'll stand up to the abuse I can dish out, heck, even my commuter needs strong cranks :rolleyes:

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
I love the looks of both the Saint and the Race Face. I like the idea of an outboard bearing, I'm sure it makes for an even stiffer crank. I would love to have either one. The caveat I see is the BB width adjustability. I heard the Saint limits you to roughly 113, which makes for chain line issues and tire width limitations. They plain won’t fit on some bikes unless Shimano starts offering different sizes. I don't know the adjustability of the RF, anyone know? Their spindle is replaceable (right?) so they could cheaply offer different BB widths.

I have profiles because I was tired of creaky, finicky BBs and having to buy different BBs for different frames. I’m not the biggest fan of the looks, but for two years they’ve been NO maintenance. I could fiddle with the chain line and crank spacing until I was happy by simply adding/subtracting an infinite combination of washer. They are stiff as hell, never creak or fuss, the bearings are original, and something ridiculous is going to happen for me to ever bend them.

I was hoping my Profiles would wear out so I could try the RF cranks, but it may be a while. :)

Yeti-Freak

Chimp
May 3, 2002
Australia
Hey Rik,

what about the Holzerfellers (sp?) how do they stand up weight wise?? from what i gathered they are pretty good value ?? There also alot stronger than the husserfelts (sp?) ?? You can also get a Ti ISIS bb for them to bring price down ?? Mine have been awesome so far. Out of the others there all very similar in quality .......so it would be a simple case of which would look the best.

Tim

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I'd answer but i'm asking myself the exact same question these days.

I can't wait for x-type/hollowtech to become a standard offering. I'd like to see smaller companies like say diety or on-one or whatever going for that BB design. I mean with the axles being connected to the arms you don't even have to worry about different spline styles as far as compatability. After all, everyone runs crank arms in matched pairs, don't they?

I'd love also to see a compatible steel version of the fly-sports propellers. Maybe even using high end steels like OX platinum, AerMet or Reynolds 853. I'd buy that for sure.

It's such a pity buisness has to work in baby steps. I mean i can't blame buisness people too much, but still.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Personally, I'm a fan of Truvativ Holzfellers with a Truvativ Gigapipe Team DH bb. Super-stiff combo, and not too heavy either. You'd be hard-pressed to do damage to that setup.

B

bighitfsr

Straight away I'd rule out euro BMX cranksets (profiles, primo, x-drives etc).
BB system is crap.

You have 2 choices FSA pounders (ISIS cro-mo crank arms) or saint (hollow arms and they've been around longer than diabolis).

FSA Pounders have the advantage of a huge range of Bottom bracket sizes and options because they are ISIS. This means better chainline and compatability with any frame. The saints arms are very wide which could be an issue if you use those trailors that you side your crank arm into for shuttle runs.

Saints are probably stronger and stiffer than pounders and the weight is similar (pounders are probably lighter with a Ti BB).

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Brian HCM#1 said:
Light & strong......Middleburns.
Are you prepared to pay for replacements after I bend them? Maybe they're strong, but I'm still dubious.

bighitfsr said:
BB system is crap.
Why? Fiddly, yes. Creaky, sometimes. But the ability to play around with spacing is a huge advantage, plus replacement bearings are easily purchasable.

And Saints would be stronger than tubular cromo cranks? hrm :think: Sorry, I'm a cynic, I've killed almost every pair of aluminium cranks I've owned. The only surviving ones are on my XC bike (which I don't ride), and I'd be killing myself if I bent a pair of RF Nexts :dead: :nope: Such a sweet sweet crankset.

Anyway, I'll find out soon enough... I would be very concerned if I killed cranks on my dually, but the hardtails are going to cop an outright flogging, and I really don't want to have to be replacing parts all the time (yeh yeh, change riding style, pfft :eviltongu )

J

J5ive

After you've installed a saint crank setup, then decided you want to use a different guide or perhaps chainring after its done. Your still sane.

Do the same on a bmx type crankset and the men in the little white van will be parked out the front, jackets in hand.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I run saint crank and derail. They define the word "beefy" They feel very sturdy and solid under your feet. Plus the crank arms make most cranks look wimpy

heres a pic of my setup HERE

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
The optimum set-up would be Profile SS w/ Ti spindle, and the FSA bottom bracket.

The only bad thing about Profile's in my experience is that the bottom bracket it comes with goes through bearings every few months.

And for a chain ring I use the E-13 Imperial Chainwheel. No spider needed.

Plus I think the weight is pretty close, or less than the Saints.

At least that's what a little bird told me.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Profile cranks are you best bet..they will easily outlast ANY other MTB cranks on the market right now and with the Ti spindle the weight is virtually unnoticeable. As far as the complaints about bearings and set up...I never had any issues with bearings after 10 years of use. The set-up just takes patience like anything else worth doing.

I'm currently on Truvativ holzfellers with FSA BB...very stong and stiff but ever since I switched over to MTB's none of the cranks I have run could compare to Profiles concerning durability and stiffness....D

fatire

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
Rally, NC
I have to give my 2 cents. I've broken a steel hardtail, profiles held up fine. Wallowed the headtube on a 13 lb downhill bike, profiles held up fine. I'm back on a steel hardtail, and yep, the same profiles are on this bike. If weight is not an issue (and you weight weenie DH'ers kill me, cuz it shouldn't be as big of one as you all make it), Profiles are the king of durability. Take a cue from the 20" world. Oh yeah, stop crashing :rolleyes:

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
as far as the bottom bracket issue goes between isis and profile it is moot. I have profiles on my slalom bike(which i ride more) and race face on my dh bike. The isis bb design is total crap. i am yet to have a isis bb last longer then trhee months without loads of play developing. i am on same profile bb(in second season now). granted where i live it is very dry so profiles dont see a lot of moisture. profile all of the way

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
FSA's Euro Pro BB solves any bearing, preload, ect issues that plauge 3 pc cranks. It is the saving grace for any ham fisted profile user.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I still don't understand people taking issue with the durability of the profile bb. I have 5 seasons on mine with no maintenance other than the occasional disassembly and clean. I also live in a very wet and muddy climate.
Buy the profiles. You will get bored of them before you need to replace them.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Saints can be found on ebay cheap,

I run Diabolus the first set of saints I had creaked.

I am also a Race Face whore.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
a set of diety cranks weights a few grams less than siant and raceface offerings and if you spring for an fsa ti spindle and ti bolts the weight gets close to a set of holzfellers with the dh bb. awesome set up, has been rocking for 2.4 years on my dh bike with no problems

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You guys noticed this thread is over two years old right? I think he's figured his crank situation out by now ;)