Quantcast

Beer Can Chicken?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Look at this. A post concerning beer AND food.

Anyone ever cooked beer can chicken on the grill? I have a recipe for it and was wondering how you all liked it. My wife hates everything about beer, so I might just use 7-UP instead. I'm not sure if the chicken actually takes on any of the beer flavoring.

For the uninitiated, the recipe gets its name because you cram an open beer can up the chickens butt and stand it up on the grill. You leave the can half full and the moisture cooks the chicken from the inside and the outside.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've always heard it called beer butt chicken, but my mom has cooked it that way before, and it was quite good. Juicy and flavorful, but without a beer taste.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Looks like both names are valid. I googled both and here are the results

beer butt chicken: 4700 results
beer can chicken: 20,100 results

Looks like "beer can chicken" is the clear favorite. Of course, who wants to eat anything with the word BUTT in the name.

Mine came out great. I used sprite and lots of hickory chips. It came out very smokey and very tender. A definite keeper...

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I used to teach at the Texas Culinary Academy in Austin, and a couple of the instructrors taught beer-in-the-butt chicken. It was gooood!

Big_B

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Sacramento
Wow I think I saw a kit for that in Walmart. Now I am really confused about what the kit contained... I'm visualizing a can, in a box...
I had never heard of it until I saw that. The moisture thing makes sense.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I would be concerned about the exchange of metals... The can is so thin and the heat in a bbq can get prety high. It doesnt take much to start thin aluminium like that smokin..... I wouldnt cook in aluminium pots n pans...Dont think jamin a aluminium can up a chicken is to bright an idea.... :dancing:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Clark Kent said:
I would be concerned about the exchange of metals... The can is so thin and the heat in a bbq can get prety high. It doesnt take much to start thin aluminium like that smokin..... I wouldnt cook in aluminium pots n pans...Dont think jamin a aluminium can up a chicken is to bright an idea.... :dancing:
When you are doing big pieces of meat you are cooking at pretty low temps. Plus the chicken itself is going to keep the surface tempature of the can lower than the rest of the BBQ. It is kind of how you can boil water on the stove in a paper cup.

Feb 6, 2004
San Diego
I had beer can chicken last night for the first time and it was real tasty:

coat a chicken with olive oil, rosemary, and garlic
pour half a can of beer in cooking pan
place chicken over remainder of can in tray
cook at 425 for 5 minutes
turn down to 350 - cook 20 minutes for every pound or until juices run clear