Quantcast

Beer Choices

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Man, there are a ton of beers in the beverage store. I love the microbrews, but never know how good some of the brands are. Anyone have any reccomendations? I went with a local Vermont brewer that I like and picked up a 12 of Long Trail Hibernator. It's chilling as I type, and should be nice and cold for Monday Night Football.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have never met a beer I didn't like.

wait, yes I have. corona.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
berkshire_rider said:
Man, there are a ton of beers in the beverage store. I love the microbrews, but never know how good some of the brands are. Anyone have any reccomendations? I went with a local Vermont brewer that I like and picked up a 12 of Long Trail Hibernator. It's chilling as I type, and should be nice and cold for Monday Night Football.

Take heed, b_r! Beers whose name ends in the suffix -ator are usually German or German style doppelbocks or trippelbocks. We're talking lots of malt(2X or 3X), lots of fermentable sugars and a very high %ABV.

I'm a big guy and would only have a 6-pack if I didn't need to drive anytime soon. :thumb:

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
If you come across a microbrew called Pranqster, I highly recommend it. Be careful becuase it has a high alcohol content. Also, Blue Moon with a slice of orange in it is dam good.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
whoopnar said:
If you come across a microbrew called Pranqster, I highly recommend it. Be careful becuase it has a high alcohol content. Also, Blue Moon with a slice of orange in it is dam good.
If you like those, try these instead:

Blue Moon - Hoegarrten
Pranqster - Duval

Why drink the copy when you could have the original!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Mmmm...I like the hibernator as well. I have a 6er chilling. We also picked up some of their IPA and their Harvest ale as well. If you like dark beers, try some of their Double Bag (it has cows on the label). It's a stong beer (over 7%), but tastey! :drool:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
berkshire_rider said:
:thumb: I'll stick with plan A for the future. Keep trying a different microbrew each time I go to the store.
Good idea, I've been doing that for the past few weeks, trying new beers every day or so. Make a spicy curry or satay dish for lunch or dinner, wash down with a cold beer.

The Ito

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Take heed, b_r! Beers whose name ends in the suffix -ator are usually German or German style doppelbocks or trippelbocks. We're talking lots of malt(2X or 3X), lots of fermentable sugars and a very high %ABV.
It has 5 malts, and it seems to be pretty strong. Excellent beer, I recommend it.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
pnj said:
I have never met a beer I didn't like.

wait, yes I have. corona.
bwahahahaha :thumb:
corona, aka pisswater, seriously i dont think i've drank anything less enjoyable.

now i am quite critical when it comes to what i drink.
i always remember the first time i tryed my favourite beer.
*prepare yourselfs or a little story*
it was the middle of winter me and a few mates were taking a trip through the highlands of scotland in my budies VW polo,. it was way below freezing outside and snowing. anyway we came accross this tiny hotel/pub called the glen isla hotel, we decide to stop and have a quick pint and get warmed up, so in we go, nice big open log fire, with big comfortabe chairs surrounding it, nice soothing music in the background, up to the bar i order a pint of my usual beer, the woman behind the bars asks if i'd like to try a pint of the self brewed in-house ale, i said no thanks, she then said "go on its on the house", i said ok cheers.
*one of the best descision i've ever made*
so i go sit down in front of this fire with my pint of the in-house ale, take a drink, it was like heaven, just beautiful, mabye it was just the picturesk(sp?) situation or what, but i've been coming back occasionally ever since just for a few pints.
now every time i go to a small local back country pub, i always order a pint of the in-house beer, i almost always enjoy it but i've yet to come across a better one.

sorry for that, could have got to the point a lot quicker, but that just wouldnt have been intresting would it.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I can't get enough stella, New Belgium Sunshine Wheat, and Dos Equis XX Special Lager (the green bottle)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
McGRP01 said:
Ooohh....haven't tried that one. I have had their vermont logger, copper ale and pale ales before and they were tastey.

Have you tried any of the recipes off of their website? Think I might try this one soon:

VENISON PORTER STEW

Marinate
1 lb. venison meat (cubed) in
1/4 cup cranberry juice concentrate
for two days.

Sear venison with
1 bottle Stovepipe Porter
Allow meat to simmer in beer until it begins to get tender

Braise
1 large yellow onion (chopped)
3 carrots (chopped)
3 red potatoes

Saute
2 cups sliced mushrooms in
2 tbls. butter

Add mushrooms to venison and beer mixture.
Add vegetables and simmer.

Thicken with flour.
Add more beer, or beef broth, to taste.
Season as desired.